Moving Indoors

• Thread starter Hank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hank

Hank

Made the decision to move indoors after a not so stellar outdoor grow. So far Ive purchased a smallish 5x5 guerilla grow tent (should come anyday) and picking up a Gavita Pro 1000 light.
For ventilation I thought a TD Silent 200 (8 inch around 540 cfm) should do the trick but not sure its going to be too loud and too much for 5x5. From what Ive read the TD Silent fans are quiet. For a filter I was thinking of a Mountair 0830 (8 inch).
I could also use some help with deciding what would be the best 240 volt timer to buy.
I really what to make the right decisions on the basics such as lighting, ventilation and growing area. I'm starting to think I should have built a room, the tent might be too hard to ventilate being only 5x5 with a 1000 watts.
Anyways this is my post when I start to set up everything I will post some pictures. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

420Gator

420Gator

yea Id ditch the tent, just curious tho...how tall is it? what kinda AC you plan on running?

Hank

Hank

Its adjustable from 6 to 10ft and I wasnt planning on running any AC but exhaust out of the tent.

Hank

Hank

Sorry these are the correct dimensions from Gorilla: Grow Tent – 5′ x 5′ x 6′ 11″ (with extention 7′ 11″)
Just got it today. Looks like I'll have to modify it because doesnt fit where I want to put it, 13/4" to high. I like the extra height seems well made all the poles and connections are metal no plastic.
Buying the light tomorrow and maybe a filter.

Hank

Hank

I picked up my light yesterday and also bought a filter, fan and muffler. The guy at the store told me my idea of using a 8 inch fan and filter was wayyy overkill for a 5x5 tent. On his advice which I am now doubting I bought a 6 inch Max Fan and a 66 Can Carbon Filter. Once I started looking into the fan a filter CFM I will only have 212 CFM after the filter, the fan is rated at 334 CFM.
I'm going to do some testing very soon to see what the temperatures will be.
As for the noise level its not bad, the muffler did quiet it down alot but I can still hear a slight high pitch noise coming from the basement.
I probably should have stuck to my original idea of the TD silent 200.

Ever after

Ever after

use the tent if you have it the reflective 5x5 panels on the tent will be way better than making a 1000w in a grow room using a 5x5 tent will be way better because of the reflective ability of the tent use 6 -8 inch duct resizers if your having issues the place should be perfect people get 2.5 LBS out of a 5x5 with a 1000w lamp if you enough air coming in you should be fine as long as its below 75F
tents are good for pests ... if you get pests you can toss the tent instead of buying all the wood and black white plastic would cost more money

Hank

Hank

Thanks for the advice Ever after. Just finished wiring a 240 volt circuit for the light so this week I will be testing to see what the temperature will be in the tent.
Wow 2,5 pounds that would be nice.

K

kolah

I can't help ya much but only encourage you to try again next year with your outdoor grow. Once you set a few things in place outdoor growing is quite simple and productive...and inexpensive. Read some of the "outdoor grow" threads here on the Farm as they are packed full of helpful ideas.

I have never grown indoors but plan on making my own 4x4x5 set-up and growing in soil.

I do know that lots of folks are using CFL lighting as it's cheaper to purchase and easy on your electric bill....and they generate very little heat. Of course if they bust, out comes the toxic heavy mercury.

Good Luck!

Hank

Hank

Hi Kolah nice name by the way. I have grown outdoors for years, sometimes with great success sometimes not so great. I wanted to have better control thats one of the reasons I'm trying inside but I will still be growing outdoors next year.

S

swisscheese

The 6" fan you got will cool your area fine considering you live in a "province" and should have nice cool fall air this time of the year but I would rather have an 8" with a fan speed controller if I had my choice. The real question here is what genetics are you going to be growing??? From clone or seed?

Hank

Hank

The 6 in came with a three speeds but I doubt I'll use them all.
We decided to use seeds, Double Dutch and Motavation from Serious Seeds (fem).
For food Canna Terra products.

Hank

Hank

Completed the first set of tests with the light at 51 inches above a thermometer.
@600 w - 23.5C (74.3F)
@750 w - 24.2C (75.5F)
@825 w - 25C (77F)
@1000 w - 26.3 C (79.3F)
@1150 w - 27.5C (81.5F)
I think its on the warm side considering the tent is empty. I still have some head room to move the light up and also at a oscillating fan.
Here are some pictures.

ps I feel like such a criminal setting this up.

Light 006
Light 004
Light 002
Light 005
ttystikk

ttystikk

I think I responded to you on your other thread. Look for my comments about ventilation there.

shaker1

shaker1

Gonna be a real nice set up but would still go bigger on the fan...better to oversize and run on half speed than have just enough maxed out. Cause you KNOW you're gonna want to go bigger next time!! lol.....I mean with a 5 x 5 you could hang two gavita's and have 2300 watts with just two lights!! Also, I've noticed you buying the "good stuff" (guerilla, gavita, serious...), and would recommend what I use, a grow zone multi speed controler (TV-2 I think)...great little gadget and can keep temps more steady.....and, I don't use a filter, but have seen new "reversable end" ones to get more use out of 'em...just a thought for ya...

Hank

Hank

Looks like I'm stuck with this fan for now. I'll do my first grow and see how it turns out. Shaker1 how far away from your light do you keep your plants? Is 4ft too far away? With the reflective surfaces in the tent its like looking straight into the sun, its quite impressive.
My next purchase is a Bluelab truncheon and a pH meter (more money...when will it end).

shaker1

shaker1

For seedlings up to a coupleweeks,.no, but my light is stationary( for now) and I always tried to keep them within 2 feet. Youtube has a video that says 3 feet will cover a 6 x 6 area well. But,my limited expirience has shown me the closer, more intense, the better. Your 25sqft @1150w, gets you 46w/sqft....my 12.25sqft (3.5x3.5)gets 93.8w/sqft......it makes a difference, imo...........if you're in soil I'd pass on the meters....save ya a little..lol...

Hank

Hank

Well so far so good. I did purchase a Truncheon and Im glad I did. My RO water is just right at 0 and Ive been fertilizing at around 1 ec using Canna veg. I did start out at 1.2 ec but decided to follow the recommended dosage a little closer. They recommend 0.9 ec.
The plants are in week 8 of veg, 2 of those were under fluorescent when they were seedlings.
Speeking of that they are Serious Seeds motivation and double dutch.
This is all new to me and would appreciate any recommendations to help my yield, when to start flowering.
My light was about 29 inches away from the plants and I noticed the plants seem kind of short and the stocks are fairly big, even some of the stems from the larger leaves are big. But the plants seem healthy great colour.
The light is still set at 1000 watts. I was thinking of moving to 1150 watts and raising the light.

Possum 010
Possum 012
Possum 013
Possum 020
Possum 011
Possum 015
Possum 016
Possum 019
Possum 022
Possum 023
Possum 024
Possum 026
Possum 028
Possum 029
Possum 004
whazzup

whazzup

Motavation I don't know but its parent Warlock I know very well. Very heavy indica indeed, short internodes, sturdy. They are serious big plants already and I assume, based on the warlock that I grew, that they will just double in size in 12/12. I remember from motavation grows I have seen that they stay rather compact in flowering.

As for the lamp: At this much distance from the crop you can go to 1150 to get 1000 umol m-2 average, but I doubt if that has much use in veg since you have the lamps on 18 hours now. I would switch to 1150 when switching to 12 hours of light. Don't get much closer with your lamp at 1150, or peak values go up easily above 1500 umol which is the saturation level of your plants.

I think you picked a good strain for this grow under 1000W in a 5x5: it will be bushy and relatively compact with all these indica genetics in there. Which means that you can keep your lamp high enough and give them 1150W :)

How is the temperature in your tent now? A tent with plants is usually much cooler than an empty tent. Plants cool the atmosphere by evaporation and you have the pots from which water evaporates.

Hank

Hank

Your right about the temperature its dropped from 28 to 23 C and the humidity has climbed from 35 to 43. The plan is to switch to flower slowly. Starting from 18//6 to 16/8 to 14/10 and then 12/12. Thanks for the advice on the lamp.

Mogrow

Mogrow

wat the hell that possum doing in yer tent bro??
nice equipment you purchased. should do you well, i to moved indoors this year, it was great. but im going back outdoors and maybe do a run or 2 indoors.
get some Farm beans dude. got st8 fiyah here on the Farm, aka see Picses, Golden Lion, aliGee, Alien, Divine. etc, etc.
good karma to yer new grow
mogrow

Top Bottom