Moving plants from a 18/6 to outdoor

• Thread starter BrookLeonard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BrookLeonard

BrookLeonard

So, I've grown about 90-100 plants indoors and am getting pretty comfortable with growing indoors. This year is my first outdoor grow. I have already screwed this grow up as I started the seedlings under my usual 18/6 lights with plans to move them outdoors sometime in late April. I live in Grow Zone 6b. My peak sunlight occurs around June 18 giving about 14.75 hours of sunlight.
Clearly, I set myself up for a bit of failure but I appreciate how these plants teach, and humble, you. My thought is that I could decrease my lighting schedule by about 15 minutes every 3-4 days until I get to about 14 hours and then put them out around 4/15-5/1.
Please feel free to offer any constructive advice you may have... especially if it comes from experience. Although I very much do not want to, I could give these plants away (and use some of them in my indoor garden) and just start over maybe in March under more appropriate lighting. I just really wanted to get a solid jump and then pot them in 100 gallon pots. Anyway, thoughts?

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Slowly move them from 18/6 to 14.75/ 9.25
Cut back the light a bit every week until they are down to 14.75 and then set them out. This will keep them from reverting or shock flowering when you set them out.

BrookLeonard

BrookLeonard

Slowly move them from 18/6 to 14.75/ 9.25
Cut back the light a bit every week until they are down to 14.75 and then set them out. This will keep them from reverting or shock flowering when you set them out.

And set them out the second half of April? That would work with the 14.75 peak hours in June? There would obviously be a decrease in light from when I set them out until the June peak. You think all will be well? I definately appreciate your input!!!

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

You need to figure out civil twilight time for April in your area and slowly move light time down to that. Civil twilight is when the sky lights up before the sun is visible.

BrookLeonard

BrookLeonard

You need to figure out civil twilight time for April in your area and slowly move light time down to that. Civil twilight is when the sky lights up before the sun is visible.

Roger that. Here are some times throughout April for Civil twilight start/end with total hours daylight including am/pm twilight:

April 1: 6:37am - 8:07pm 13:30 hours/min
April 8: 6:25am - 8:14pm 13:47 hours/min
April 15: 6:16am - 8:20pm 14:04 hours/min
April 22: 6:06am - 8:26pm 14:20 hours/min
April 29: 5:57am - 8:33pm 14:36 hours/min

So, I understand that anything less than 14 hours of daylight induces flowering, is that correct? You suggested that I should stay above 14.75 hours of light (am/pm twilight plus daylight). It actually looks like May 4th (5:51am - 8:38pm 14:46 hours/min) So, it would be best to have my timer down to 14.75 hours and set out no earlier than May 4? Again, I appreciate your patience in something I am not experienced or knowledgable in. Thank you!

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Roger that. Here are some times throughout April for Civil twilight start/end with total hours daylight including am/pm twilight:

April 1: 6:37am - 8:07pm 13:30 hours/min
April 8: 6:25am - 8:14pm 13:47 hours/min
April 15: 6:16am - 8:20pm 14:04 hours/min
April 22: 6:06am - 8:26pm 14:20 hours/min
April 29: 5:57am - 8:33pm 14:36 hours/min

So, I understand that anything less than 14 hours of daylight induces flowering, is that correct? You suggested that I should stay above 14.75 hours of light (am/pm twilight plus daylight). It actually looks like May 4th (5:51am - 8:38pm 14:46 hours/min) So, it would be best to have my timer down to 14.75 hours and set out no earlier than May 4? Again, I appreciate your patience in something I am not experienced or knowledgable in. Thank you!
As long as it's warm enough at night in your area, star wars day would work.

JJS009

JJS009

I have always went from 18/6 to outside with not many issues at the end of may ( barring any freak temp changes), a few strains over the years weren’t thrilled about it but recovered quickly, I stopped growing those strains.

BadDreams

BadDreams

I only move outside during first REAL summer days. This time of year is usually with warm nights also. I guess this translates to few days before or few days after the first day of summer. This way I get two months vege and two good warm months flowering. Try to harvest before morning dew sets in as mould is a bit of a heart breaker.
Reducing hours of light indoors prior to the move outside is experienced advice, try it.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Run supplemental lighting, i have seen plants shock into flower many times and to avoid that crap i just run supplemental lighting....Plants respond to many different things, but the cycle inside vs outside is different plants respond to diminishing light and increasing light to take their cues from. I just watch the temps and as soon as its warm enough i put em into a shade structure to harden off. Remember to harden off properly, a plant inside even under some HPS will still burn and shock if you throw em outside into the direct sunlight.
For me i went outside last year may 1st and were in their final soil on the tenth after they were hardened off, then i ran supplemental lighting until july 22 and turned off for flower. A lot of folks say plant in june without lighting and you will be fine but thats not my experience.

BrookLeonard

BrookLeonard

Ezenzyme, thanks for your reply. I especially appreciate the reminder to/how to harden off. Outdoor growing is new for me this year so I’m really trying to get a grip.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

You got this dog! Spend some time reading up on here, the sticky threads in the outdoor section are really good read, and try to follow folks who are doing a similar style that you intend on doing. Theres a ton of free information that can get you on the right track! The only bad question is the one that wasn't asked.
Remember the P's; Proper planning and prevention prevents piss poor performance producing a plethora of purple pounds of pot!!!

Top Bottom