MPB Air Pumps

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

A meter that reads to 160psi may have an error range greater than the full pressure our pumps put out. You'd want up to 10psi meter or even less, 5 would probably do.

Low range.

Flow is more what you want to monitor though isn't it? Pressure would be there even if the stones are totally clogged and that's what you want to be watching out for is that equal air is actually getting through.

Oregonmeds,
I looked around, and nobody seems to have a low range specific gauge. The specs on the Harbor Freight one has a range starting at 4psi, and it has an accuracy of +- 1 psi. Maybe if you had a clogged stone it would cause back pressure, increasing the reading on the meter. I also looked for flow meters out there, but nothing seemed well suited or inexpensive.

Mcattak,
I haven't seen a snorkel option for the other pumps out there. I would just put it outside the room, and be done with it.

By the way, if anybody can give me a pointer on properly quoting people with the original posted by heading and such, that would be sweet.:cool0041:

O

OregonMeds

There wouldn't be a spike in pressure you could notice with that meter at all then, because I think we average around 2-3psi and that doesn't even register until 4/5 with error margin.

These pumps either pass air at less than 5psi or they just sit there and generate heat, but they don't build up pressure.

To quote people, hit the quote button on the bottom of their post.

K

kuz

How is the Pondmaster ap-100. Does it blow hot air? Its rated its rated 9150 cubic inches which I think is over 5 cu. ft. per minute. The Sonic for $60 looks good, 50 liters per minute or around 1.7 cu ft/min, about like the Alita 40 which i've seen for $180. Pondmaster for $150 looks like a good deal if the extra air is useful, you could spend $500 or $700 (Medo) on the piston pumps and still not get up to 5 cu. ft/minute.

sedate

sedate

TrichFan said:
By the way, if anybody can give me a pointer on properly quoting people with the original posted by heading and such, that would be sweet.

The two operators look like this:

[/quote]
TrichFan said:
You know - only reversed, with the slash after the words you want to quote.

I can't do it in order or it will quote you.

TrichFan said:
See - TrichFan is talking now

L

Lost

How is the Pondmaster ap-100. Does it blow hot air? Its rated its rated 9150 cubic inches which I think is over 5 cu. ft. per minute. The Sonic for $60 looks good, 50 liters per minute or around 1.7 cu ft/min, about like the Alita 40 which i've seen for $180. Pondmaster for $150 looks like a good deal if the extra air is useful, you could spend $500 or $700 (Medo) on the piston pumps and still not get up to 5 cu. ft/minute.

The ap-100 is a good pump but it is not rebuildable like the more expensive Alita, Hailea, etc pumps are. I ordered one myself, but it was out of stock so I got the Hailea HiBlo80

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
There wouldn't be a spike in pressure you could notice with that meter at all then, because I think we average around 2-3psi and that doesn't even register until 4/5 with error margin.

These pumps either pass air at less than 5psi or they just sit there and generate heat, but they don't build up pressure.

That's good to know the rough pressure ranges the pumps work in... 5-10psi max roughly?

My idea was when first building the system and getting everything up and running with no leaks would give you a 'base' pressure to work off of. They do make smaller more sensitive 1/4psi incriments up to 10psi (if pressure increases then clog, pressure decreases then you'd have a leak or 'broke stone'). The problem I didn't think of would be the splitter that all the buckets run off of from the pump... If 1 bucket had a problem then all the gauges might change since they're all tied together.... Need to do some more thinking on this one...

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

sedate said:
The two operators look like this:

You know - only reversed, with the slash after the words you want to quote.

I can't do it in order or it will quote you.

oregonmeds said:

Thanks guys. 2 Different ways to quote as well. Sweet.:cool0041:

O

OregonMeds

That's good to know the rough pressure ranges the pumps work in... 5-10psi max roughly?

My idea was when first building the system and getting everything up and running with no leaks would give you a 'base' pressure to work off of. They do make smaller more sensitive 1/4psi incriments up to 10psi (if pressure increases then clog, pressure decreases then you'd have a leak or 'broke stone'). The problem I didn't think of would be the splitter that all the buckets run off of from the pump... If 1 bucket had a problem then all the gauges might change since they're all tied together.... Need to do some more thinking on this one...

You'd be better off putting money into running dual pumps and setting it up as bullet proof and redundant as you can, I would think. If you're that worried about it.

Up to you.

I doubt anyone has anything that can break 7, plug a pump with a bicycle tire gauge or something like that and see.

I don't have anything to test my pumps and they're a little smaller than others anyway.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I found this on an aquarium site. Do you think that this would tell you line and air stone performance from it's reading? It seems to at least be in the right psi range. Not quite as cool as the digital look, but if it works....:thinking

15214 flowMeter
L

Lost

I found this on an aquarium site. Do you think that this would tell you line and air stone performance from it's reading? It seems to at least be in the right psi range. Not quite as cool as the digital look, but if it works....:thinking

Sure, just turn them up to max and see where the bubble reads, lol :) Im sure our airpumps won't max that bad boyout!

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter

That's a cool looking unit, I think something like that would work pretty good and be able to have outside the room as well (I personally like manual gauges over digital, personal preference). How much are the units and what pressure range do they work in?

Lost, if ya get a second can ya hop over to the 1500w light thread in design and setup. Thanks

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

The price on the site I found that on was $157. Not too cheap! No more specs on the unit on the site. Bummer!

S

swisscheese

I get my air pumps from aquarium or pond supply stores. Look for the ones with all the stuff outside in the summer for big ponds they have the biggest selection of air pumps.

L

Loudblunts

can i try to get 1 pump for 16 buckets and keep one (airpump) for backup purposes

or should i just get 2 air pumps?

L

Lost

LB - Your going to need 2. Im thinking about getting an ap-100 to go with my hailea -80. The hailea 80 is just not making it frofy enuff for my 7 tubs (2 large airstones each) and one 5 gallon DWC bucket..

L

Loudblunts

thanks for your prompt response, Lost!

i guess im trying to minimize sound by just getting one sole bigger one....

can you tell me the order in which pumps are superior?

pondmaster
alita
hailea
hiblow

etc etc

i was looking at maybe getting one of those alita 150 - 200 for 16 buckets, but i guess that wouldnt work huh?

:(

L

Lost

Hiblo is they diaphram type and I reccommend that type of pump. I have a Hailea and im probablly going to order a pondmaster. I hear good things about them..

The alita 200 might work..

N

noone88

I've been trying to shoot for 20lpm of air per tub and 2 air stones. I use the cheap 12" blue stones and toss them after every run.

Top Bottom