MPB root funk help

• Thread starter nucleotide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nucleotide

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem with some root funk.
I'm getting a 1/2 hp water chiller tomorrow, thought I could keep things cool enough before then but I was wrong!

I got the tubs covered in panda and got the temp down to 24 deg C which is a bit cooler than the 29.2 they were at for a day.

I can already smell the dirty aquarium smell and the dark funk is beginning to mess with the roots. What is the best approach to resolve this? I know you guys are the experts, so hopefully someone will have a good solution for this problem in mpbs.

I was thinking of running very light peroxide and then re-inoculating with great white.

N

noone88

Might be a bit too late. Root rot (pythium) is a beast. Drop your temps down immediately to prevent further damage and pick up some sm-90.

Your plants will have to grow new roots. Most likely your plants will survive, but you'll have stunted growth and decreased yields.

I've had root rot before when I used do to vertical sog. Once it hits, there's not much you can do. You can salvage your plants if you act fast enough, but they'll never be as healthy. If you're still vegging, you may be better off starting over. If you're in flower, might as well finish the cycle.

D

Decisive

sm-90 is the way to go, I added it at 3mL per gallon and immediately noticed a significant improvement in root color and water health, its a mixture of coriander and canola oil with a small percentage of triethanolamine, a tetiary amine. That root excelulator garbage which I will never use again left a brownish slimy residue on my roots, the sm-90 seemed to help in a major way with it. Just dont use it with beneficials, it will kill them, triethanolamine is sometimes used to treat ear infections and has excellent anti microbial properties.

M

Malachi

yea chillers are so essential in the MPB realm, i personally think it is the single most important item to get when starting a MPB grow, but SM-90 will give you the best results but dont use it with great white

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

nice i didn't realize i can use sm-90 on my ears as well...

can you post your water temps in Fahrenheit, that whole metric system thing has yet to make its way to America.

N

nucleotide

Thanks for the info guys.
I actually use sm-90 already in my res.

Yes, I could post my temps in fahrenheit, but I'm an American that thinks metric is the way to go! well, I'm just joking - i'll convert them for you in a bit.

J

jack the reaper

C to F-skip the math and just know that a 10C increase = 18F increase, start at 0C = 32F
0 = 32
10= 50
20= 68
30= 86
40= 104
24C = 76
30C=86

bro, i hate to tell you this but in my exp this is better off a do over. you have severely damaged your plants, and the pythium which has been lurking is on the move. your crop will be stunted and yield dramatically reduced.

L

Lost

Not to mention if you don't clean your stuff real good, it'll come back.

Not trying to be an ass, but the chiller really is central feature and if you do not have it do not start MPB's as you will just culture bacteria. Your water temps were 85 F you were more than 10 degrees hotter than the hottest you would ever want to see your res get. I set mine at 17c or 63 degrees Mini res temp is around 67 to 68 max. anything over 70 is chancy. Over 72 and your culturing bacteria..

D

doubleds

yea chillers are so essential in the MPB realm, i personally think it is the single most important item to get when starting a MPB grow, but SM-90 will give you the best results but dont use it with great white

100 % correct bro but lets be real clear, any hydroponics system.

dds

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

Not to mention if you don't clean your stuff real good, it'll come back.

Not trying to be an ass, but the chiller really is central feature and if you do not have it do not start MPB's as you will just culture bacteria. Your water temps were 85 F you were more than 10 degrees hotter than the hottest you would ever want to see your res get. I set mine at 17c or 63 degrees Mini res temp is around 67 to 68 max. anything over 70 is chancy. Over 72 and your culturing bacteria..

Hey Lost, do you replace all tubing after each run? What do clean the rest of the system with?

L

Lost

Yea, I replace my tubing every run and clean everything else with Isopropl. I run it diluted thru the pumps and chiller, let it sit for a while then pump out, replace the tubing, rune fresh to a drain for a little bit to make sure its all clean. Its still only marginal, you need a hose to blast the chiller clean, its just hard to get inside the chamber with the coils and get it clean enough.

Also keep in mind I live where it gets HOT so critters like to grow if your not fairly clean with the tubs and tubing. Im sure DD's has a ton more input as he's been doing this forever, and im pretty new to MPB's. I do not like to use H2O2 or SM-90, or any of the other stuff during a grow if I can help it. Sometimes I use GoGnats (Cedar Oil), but I'd rather use nothing if I can help it. Just the Multizen, Great White, roots excel plus the nutes and boosters. Pretty much like DD's has done I believe.

Edit GoGnats is just for when I see a few flyers. Where I live, they are everywhere, they still get into a closed room. Don't do it during Flower, only veg imo.

B

bakershredhead

Nucleotide get a product called Oxidate it saved my ladies last run when turned my air pump off by mistake {never do that} and got pythium. It's 27% H202 and percitic acid the acid breaks down the outer shell of the opposing organism and the h202 oxidizes it. Great stuff used in the agri business.

B

bakershredhead

Hey Lost I started using the Hydro Fungicide that DD recommended at haven't seen a gnat since.

L

Lost

I'll check it out. I have had to use anything other than the ocational no pest strip in veg. Then again summer is coming!!

L

Lost

Wow, me 2.

I don't know what dilution rate I use. I use 91% and just mix with a little water.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I just started using the Hydro fungicide.
Per DD's instruction's.\

1/2 ml per litre as directed.
400 litres/100 gallons 200 ml once a week unless your res still isnt clear.

Top Bottom