MPB vs Vertical SOG...I can't decide for yield...

• Thread starter HypnoToad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HypnoToad

Hi everyone,

At this point I am considering a grow, but I can't decide what is the best method to grow decent smoke with a great yield.

Obviously vertical is the way to go, but what yields best here, a shit load of little plants or a few REALLY big ones.

At this point I am in the planning stages, but I am torn between a hydrocube style grow that requires uber amounts of clones or a perpetual tree grow that uses a shitload of light around each plant.

Considering that many of you farmers here have been there, done that, have the t-shirt, I am very interested in your input since you know your shit in this regard and I don't.

Lastly, thanks for all the great info. The community here rocks, and I appreciate all the help.

HT

M

mrdizzle

I like sog but I can endorse it, high plant counts just arent worth it unless you have to.I think you could do some serious damage with 4 plants mpb around a 1000w make into a square wall of greentrain the plants to grow into a 4x4 screen, hitting a 1/2lb square would be ubur easy to achieve

X

Xceptional

Obviously vertical is the way to go,

do more reading bro before you spend any money. vertical is the way to go when growing BIG plants spaced apart but not if you choose SOG. vertical lighting works well for these monster plants that are 40" apart becasue it lights the sides of the plants the way a horizontal light lights the top of plants. the light is not above the plant but in-between plants. the objective is to get as much of the light to hit the plants as possible without reflecting back from another source which diminishes its strength. if you place a bulb vertical between 4 plants then all sides of the bulb get directly used.

vertical over SOG would be a waste of light. as many horizontal lights as possible over the SOG would make more sense.

X

Xceptional

ive never ran either but if i had to choose i'd go with few big plants in a MPB or UC over the SOG. 200 plants means taking 200 strong clones and a super big mom plant of every strain you run. lot's of plants seems like hassle. also if you are not legal you would get way more time for SOG vs a few big plants.

H

HypnoToad

Thanks man,

But what about the 5 light 4 plant or 4 light 5 plant system. How would something like that do in large soil buckets? Also with so few lights, should I consider just buying a good 2 ton a/c vs cool tubes?

Overall I am thinking of a perpetual setup. so it's 2 dedicated rooms or 1 dedicated flower room and a closet or tent for vegging clones.

Thanks again for all the help.

x 1000w
o light

xox
oxo
xox

or...

oxo
xox
oxo

A

antimatter

Think of it like this you have a 1000w vertical bulb and you can run plants 360 degrees around it lets say 5 to 8 feet max height and 5-8 feet max width, if your growing large enough plants then you can run 360 degrees around the bulb and achieve respectable yields with low plant numbers but its alot more difficult even with xoxoxo or Krusty bulb layouts big plants don't come easy.

The best vert method is always going to involve alot of smaller plants on multiple levels/shelfs. The more you can maximize that 360 degrees the higher the yields are but of course the higher you go and the wider you go the more yield you will get but eventually quality will diminish and you will be spinning your wheels with fluff adding to your total.

lollipopman

lollipopman

I like sog but I can endorse it, high plant counts just arent worth it unless you have to.I think you could do some serious damage with 4 plants mpb around a 1000w make into a square wall of greentrain the plants to grow into a 4x4 screen, hitting a 1/2lb square would be ubur easy to achieve

thats what im doing now just not mpb more like undercurrent, have the home depot tubs squared off so the light is 15 inches from my screens.. should hit over 2lb mark easy...

J

jakew215

thats what im doing now just not mpb more like undercurrent, have the home depot tubs squared off so the light is 15 inches from my screens.. should hit over 2lb mark easy...

with a single 1000? please elaborate. how many plants?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I remember reading a thread days ago - it was either Jalisco Kid or Texas Kid that said you could grow big trees in 18 gallon containers with coco using the 5 light 4 plant method.

If I remember right he was saying you could pull 2 lb per plant, but you would need to have optimal temps, humidity etc...

since you are admittedly a newbie grower you should maybe try a 4 x 8 scrog with 2 x 1000 and run about 18 - 24 plants, something a bit easier to get your feet wet.

you can easily pull between 3-4 lbs without high numbers and a huge investment.

A

antimatter

Don't underestimate the size you should be flipping at with trees. You need a lot of vegetative growth to produce good yields not 18" baby plants.

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

i do the vert thing. i do like a figure 8 around two bulbs. If you put a fan under the bulbs you can get your plants really close to the bulbs .....About 8 inches. I run fewer "taller" plants . But you have to have a long veg 6-8 weeks for it to be worth it. I grow in dirt w/ pretty good results.I don't rotate the pots Just train them to grow towards the light... here's a pic of the finished product

DSCN2983
M

mrdizzle

do more reading bro before you spend any money. vertical is the way to go when growing BIG plants spaced apart but not if you choose SOG. vertical lighting works well for these monster plants that are 40" apart becasue it lights the sides of the plants the way a horizontal light lights the top of plants. the light is not above the plant but in-between plants. the objective is to get as much of the light to hit the plants as possible without reflecting back from another source which diminishes its strength. if you place a bulb vertical between 4 plants then all sides of the bulb get directly used.

vertical over SOG would be a waste of light. as many horizontal lights as possible over the SOG would make more sense.

hes talking about a vertical sog, not a flat garden sog with a bulb hung vertically

awesome bro I like the idea, 4 1/2 lb plants around a 1000w isnt hard at all with a MPB or an UC.

Top Bottom