Mrs. JJ's Table-top hydro garden

• Thread starter jadins_journey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
The Mrs. & I were sitting in the sunroom having some coffee the other morning and she tells me it's time to replace the table (my junk drawer LOL). I ask her what she would want to replace it with and she says her own garden. Well now she has my interest!

After some discussion about goals for her garden it was agreed, the "garden" she wants is basically a living center piece, with character. The 'with character' part had me stumped for a minute. I found a table she liked without breaking the bank, and it has "character" lol. Our part of the world produces hardwoods so this table is made from re-purposed tongue and grove flooring from a demo. Poplar wood top with all the "character" marks you'd want.

Mrs jjs table top hydro garden

Mrs jjs table top hydro garden 2

Mrs jjs table top hydro garden 3

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
what's the plan for the garden?
I picked up these at the local farm store, should make for a good size root zone. I'm a fan of flood/drain with hydroton as my medium so this garden will be based off of that hydro method. There's going to be holes cut in the table regardless for this system, what size I'm not sure of. We could sit the pan directly on top of the table with small holes for the lines or and I'm leaning this way, cut one large hole and recess the bottom 2/3's of the pan. That will require a but more work to support the top but make for a cleaner look. The bucket will be the resv. Yes, there's some serious hurdles to overcome using that for a resv. but go back to the "character" part of this build. And besides it's what she picked out.

We call this a sunroom but we keep the blinds and windows closed. Heat and A/C since this is where my best buddy Curtis Loew sleeps. So, there's going to be an LED included. Haven't picked that part out yet

IMG 0280

Curtis just sits back and watches as we mess with his bedroom.
LMEX1297

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Nice. Will Curtis Loew play me a song if I bring him drinkin money? Lol
you bet!!

Me and a buddy were sitting in an amphitheater some 3 or 4 decades ago burning what was then some fine smoke listening to that concert. I was getting a dog the next day and well, you know the rest of the story. Curtis Loew for my boy dogs and CL for the girls, been that way since ever since.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Spring is here and I haven't planted anything yet, but that's ok. This is an indoor garden 😀

We have been busy gathering parts and pieces and yes! she finally ordered her seeds. Guess it's time to start putting it together then. First step was to remove the bracing from one end and make a plate to hold everything in place when it's cut. Diameter of that circle is 13". Let's just say the compass you pick up at the box store won't work.

IMG 0466

IMG 0467

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I'm old and slow but progress was made on the garden project this weekend. It's really hard for me to describe in words what I "see" in my head as the final shape of a project. Wife has figured out to just roll with it and she was actually pleased when this came together.

Big thanks goes to @SSgrower & @Goodshit97 for their work with in their grow logs showing what the Vipar XS1500 Pro can do. I picked this one up during the 420 sale. @ViparSpectra, thanks for joining the farm. Looking forward to seeing what this light will do.

IMG 0489

IMG 0490

IMG 0491

IMG 0492

Curtis Loew, checking out the garden
IMG 0497

jj

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Curtis sayin… that’s my new bowl right? Nice you made it so it won’t slide around! I knew I’d get a table spot eventually! 😂

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Curtis sayin… that’s my new bowl right? Nice you made it so it won’t slide around! I knew I’d get a table spot eventually! 😂
Pull up a chair brother! Curtis does enjoy some infused oil before the vets office, at 194 ya don’t want the guard dog showing when he gets his pedicure😎

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
The garden passed it's first hydro test. No leaks LOL! The controls are on the opposite end of the table and hopefully hidden from view. She wanted a simple system, I'm thinking I got close.

IMG 0516

IMG 0515

Time to plant!!
IMG 0517

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Eco 172. It's the same pump I run in all my systems. Good pumps but they don't last forever. Had one go down after 3 years of continuous service just last week 😀 .

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
We didn't have much luck on the first round of seed planting. I ordered some rapid rooters, thought maybe they didn't like rockwool. Turns out it was some bad seeds but I got to play with rapid rooters. Different but the seeds like them it seems, couple days faster with the Marigold seeds.

Finished the build on Mothers day and planted on the 4Th of July. Speed is obviously not the goal here. Just something to tinker with together. Marigolds and Portulaca.

IMG 0699

IMG 0701

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
The flower garden has put down roots and starting to go vertical. Curtis Lowe, keeping a close eye on things.

IMG 0736

IMG 0737

IMG 0740

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Fun project together. That's really the goal with this grow, doing something fun together. As growers we can get a little focused on our other plants.

IMG 0779

jj

Top Bottom