Mtf

• Thread starter Green Supreme
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sgbfcoop

grew a cross of it back in like 98...got from my brother (good friend of mine) that is from eagle river and grew up there...the original from what I heard was held tightly by the "bikers" and had a "stable" of it down in mountain view...and yep, back then all there was "was" the mtf....and alot of Hawaiian strains that would come around....this "cross" was a lime green and grew baseball bats....loved miracle grow....and was super easy....me, personally I know about "TOK" and the blueberry that shit was for real...as was the nikiski nuclear nuggets, soldotna red man, "the gird"...that shit is correct because everybody knew it came "from the old hippie down on ....road or the bandana dan down on the keni".....Me I miss the "gird"...shit was fluffy, lime green...sticky... and you would get a quarter for 80, and it looked like a half....skunky as hell, and always around...or the afghani that tasted like licorice and incense...chillin' at chair 5 or hangin' out at the brown bear...or that nasty ass strip club in willow creek....lol....oh, the good ol' days....personally, I had the mtf and cat would only sells grams....shit had bright orange and red hairs....tasted like wet pine, and skunky/hazey....rock hard, and dank as f.ck...we where goin' to the ASF in palmer, and 2 rips was so messed up had to let my cousin drive....Although, one time in portage, met this biker dude....and we where with these chicks and they talked this cat into given' us a bowl.....that my friend was the best I had up there...for sure...although, never got a bad bag up there....NEVER....been to amsterdam, and the shit didn't even compare.....that is my 2 cents...and hope it is still around....but who knows?

RoorRip.gif
and that is why i want to grow my own. It sounds like what is missing down here in SoCal with all these [Your Name Here] OGs. AK roadtrip would be fun. =)

Reactions: bsb
S

sgbfcoop

So with recreation usage passing has anyone seen this resurfacing?

G

GrwrGoneWild

So with recreation usage passing has anyone seen this resurfacing?

Yes, I had the chance to get an MTF cut, but I was convinced that it was not on the same level as
some of the new hybrids like GG4 or GSC hybrids.

Here's some stuff I posted on RIU..

"Meh... gotta throw this out there on the MTF cut..

A friend of mine on ICMag we've been trading n stuff and here's his take on MTF.

"I don't think there is such a strain. I've been here since 1973. I'm pretty sure it was just a name attached to weed in order to sell it. A friend of a friend grew what he said was MTF since 1980. When he died my friend got all his plants and gave me some cuts of the MTF. I grew it out 3 or 4 times. It's not all that great, mediocre weed at best"

In fact we're more interested in the latest hybrids.. GG4. GG4 crosses... Etc.

So hes quite a bit older than me..

So fast forward to the end of the 80's

I would get bags of MTF and it was damm good weed to me, smelled of pepper and pine.. nice spacy stuff, well I traded a 44 magnum for some seeds, and had us 1 monster of a girl, all the rest boys. It filled up my buddy's closet Again, pine and pepper, almost woody smelling. Anyways, one of my first grows, we never thought to clone her or whatever.. And I'm gonna have to agree with him.. It seems more hype but I thought it was pretty good.. I know that it kinda faded away, alot of citrus smelling buds started comming out in the 90's.

If anybody is interested, I can ask him if he can get MTF again.. But this is what he said.

"I killed it off. I passed my friend some good cuts of other stuff and he then killed off the MTF also because it's not a keeper strain."

For those of you looking for MTF its in circulation near the Knik bridge area.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Yes, I had the chance to get an MTF cut, but I was convinced that it was not on the same level as

A friend of mine on ICMag we've been trading n stuff and here's his take on MTF.

"I don't think there is such a strain. I've been here since 1973. I'm pretty sure it was just a name attached to weed in order to sell it. A friend of a friend grew what he said was MTF since 1980. When he died my friend got all his plants and gave me some cuts of the MTF. I grew it out 3 or 4 times. It's not all that great, mediocre weed at best"

I would get bags of MTF and it was damm good weed to me, smelled of pepper and pine.. nice spacy stuff, well I traded a 44 magnum for some seeds, and had us 1 monster of a girl, all the rest boys. It filled up my buddy's closet Again, pine and pepper, almost woody smelling. Anyways, one of my first grows, we never thought to clone her or whatever.. And I'm gonna have to agree with him.. It seems more hype but I thought it was pretty good.. I know that it kinda faded away, alot of citrus smelling buds started comming out in the 90's.

If anybody is interested, I can ask him if he can get MTF again.. But this is what he said.

"I killed it off. I passed my friend some good cuts of other stuff and he then killed off the MTF also because it's not a keeper strain."

I've had a MTF cut before and it was very lackluster! Big buds with rubber stems! Never seen a plants stems bend like mtf!

G

GrwrGoneWild

I've had a MTF cut before and it was very lackluster! Big buds with rubber stems! Never seen a plants stems bend like mtf!

Yeah the monster of a girl that I had way back in the day had the lanky structure but not exactly weak. There seems to be some type of phenotype expression like in the case of trainwreck for weak stems.

In a way the Alaska MJ community seems to be in love with something that seems to be more hype than anything else, the few experiences with it seem to classify it as ok at best.

Its almost like "Cohiba" cigars.. Overrated. I know a few growers and NONE of them kept the MTF cut.

M

motz

The real mtf smells of black licorice.
Had some of Gthumbs it was the best he had to offer.
That makes since the designer/ boutique shit started taking over in the 90's.
It's hard to find the old strains anymore, its mixed in with that designer shit.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Real ATF is 60/40 sativa dominant. It's one of the most finicky plants you can grow. That's to be expected from a 38 year old clone. Medium yielder. Not as much crystal age as most modern strains.....but the high is rockin with no ceiling. And I never build a tolerance.to it, true pain meds for my fucked up back. I can take dabs all day and a bowl of ATF will cut right through the oil high everytime. I can assure you all that the ORIGINAL ATF is alive and well in WA state. There is a couple preservation projects with it going on now as the clone is getting tired. Also S1'ing it.

akyoda32

akyoda32

grew a cross of it back in like 98...got from my brother (good friend of mine) that is from eagle river and grew up there...the original from what I heard was held tightly by the "bikers" and had a "stable" of it down in mountain view...and yep, back then all there was "was" the mtf....and alot of Hawaiian strains that would come around....this "cross" was a lime green and grew baseball bats....loved miracle grow....and was super easy....me, personally I know about "TOK" and the blueberry that shit was for real...as was the nikiski nuclear nuggets, soldotna red man, "the gird"...that shit is correct because everybody knew it came "from the old hippie down on ....road or the bandana dan down on the keni".....Me I miss the "gird"...shit was fluffy, lime green...sticky... and you would get a quarter for 80, and it looked like a half....skunky as hell, and always around...or the afghani that tasted like licorice and incense...chillin' at chair 5 or hangin' out at the brown bear...or that nasty ass strip club in willow creek....lol....oh, the good ol' days....personally, I had the mtf and cat would only sells grams....shit had bright orange and red hairs....tasted like wet pine, and skunky/hazey....rock hard, and dank as f.ck...we where goin' to the ASF in palmer, and 2 rips was so messed up had to let my cousin drive....Although, one time in portage, met this biker dude....and we where with these chicks and they talked this cat into given' us a bowl.....that my friend was the best I had up there...for sure...although, never got a bad bag up there....NEVER....been to amsterdam, and the shit didn't even compare.....that is my 2 cents...and hope it is still around....but who knows?

Damn that brought back some memories "girdweed" lol we called it citrus sativa. I knew a guy who grew under his entire place...sadly he was busted in the late 90's. Good dude, used to give us killer deals when we ran down from fairbanks.

G

GrwrGoneWild

This is what confuses me about MTF..

There are several different reports of MTF smell, so far its been all over the place. The only consistent story about MTF is that its a tall girl. And I have to agree with how it grew.

The MTF I smoked smelled like Pine and pepper.
The MTF finished flowers the old timer I know smelled more like pine.
(No I didn't smoke it.. we were burning some Locktite.. a GG4 cross I'm sure he still has some )
Somebody else says "Black Licorice"..
Now another report of "Citrus"...

I hate to say it but it seems like MTF was applied in a generic way on Alaskan weed in general. Keep in mind that my encounter with MTF was in the late 80's and I didn't have much of a clue about strains.

MTF was great weed for the time... I could bring this stuff down south to my buddies in central cal, and they loved it vs the seedy mexibrick they would get. Late 80's early 90's. I think it was kinda how BC bud was back then.

Now my own experience seems to match up with this old timer I know.. Been in AK since the early 70's.. And he inherited MTF cuts from somebody that passed in the 80's so at least the timeline is correct for MTF. However if you look at my past post MTF is not a keeper pheno.

I dont doubt there's MTF phenotype out there, but that seems to be given the name, not because it can be traced back to the breeder or group. Some people say HA is the origin of the cut, I'm dont think so I know a ex HA grower in Talkeetna, he never mentioned running MTF cuts.

If anything the name is fucking brilliant.. And the legend of MTF will continue on.

akyoda32

akyoda32

if you are talking about my reply I was just referring to "Girdweed" not MTF. The only MTF I have ever seen was a hybrid clone only from the 70's. It was a blueberry x MTF x ruderalis cross that grew with sativa structure, long internodal space, 3-4 foot growth spurt in the first 10 days of flower, buds were rock hard, orange and blueberry smell, and most notable was it was done in 42 days. Again this was a cross of MTF which was referred to as tanj. That is my only experience personally with anything from that era. I do know a couple of guys that used to have access to it in the early 90's and they said if you had 10lbs of it you needed to move it to a different place every couple days because it smelled so strong.

G

GrwrGoneWild

^^ Well my mistake for MTF/Girdweed reference.. There are reports of MTF being "citrus".

I dont think there could be a MTF x Blue x Rudy clone only cross from the 70's. Blueberry isn't that old and I've never heard of MTF with autoflower traits. The late 80's stuff seemed to have a spicy pepper aroma that reminded me of the higher quality stuff I could get in the Sonora desert in Mexico.

The MTF tange cut sounds more convincing, there seemed to be alot of citrus and lemony weed in the early 90's that I suspect that MTF was hybridized with. Seedbanks been around at least that long, mebby longer.

The clone only thing seems to add to the legend.. I'm on another board and they _swear_ that the MTF seeds they have are legit.. Supposedly some 30 year old beans that he sprouted. Where he sourced the seeds is correct.. Chickaloon.. If anything he could be holding heirloom seeds from an "MTF" crop from many years ago.

My datapoint anyways.

bsb

bsb

I think I know the same guy...and ya the "gird" was super fluff and lime green sticky....no citrus for us that I can remember there was also a "low land afghani" that tasted like black licorice, small rock hard buds and the "tuttie fruity" from a "baker man" that got busted robbing a bank..LOL.. sounds like we know some of the same people brother..LOL @akyoda32

akyoda32

akyoda32

I think I know the same guy...and ya the "gird" was super fluff and lime green sticky....no citrus for us that I can remember there was also a "low land afghani" that tasted like black licorice, small rock hard buds and the "tuttie fruity" from a "baker man" that got busted robbing a bank..LOL.. sounds like we know some of the same people brother..LOL @akyoda32
Lol that super fluff lime green sticky...oh man. You couldn't fit an ounce of that into a bag without smashing it lol. I once rolled a 3 finger eighth of that stuff out of the back page of a bible, tore me up.

akyoda32

akyoda32

^^ Well my mistake for MTF/Girdweed reference.. There are reports of MTF being "citrus".

I dont think there could be a MTF x Blue x Rudy clone only cross from the 70's. Blueberry isn't that old and I've never heard of MTF with autoflower traits. The late 80's stuff seemed to have a spicy pepper aroma that reminded me of the higher quality stuff I could get in the Sonora desert in Mexico.

The MTF tange cut sounds more convincing, there seemed to be alot of citrus and lemony weed in the early 90's that I suspect that MTF was hybridized with. Seedbanks been around at least that long, mebby longer.

The clone only thing seems to add to the legend.. I'm on another board and they _swear_ that the MTF seeds they have are legit.. Supposedly some 30 year old beans that he sprouted. Where he sourced the seeds is correct.. Chickaloon.. If anything he could be holding heirloom seeds from an "MTF" crop from many years ago.

My datapoint anyways.

The clone was gifted to me in 95, I ran it and crossed it with juicy fruit male from Amsterdam, then a strain called phantom out of delta junction. I got tired of it because it was a two hit and quit strain but it also had a two hit ceiling. Never got any more high after the second hit so I dropped it.

The guy that gifted it to me had been growing it for 20 years and got it from a co-op of people that bred it out. The back story I gave is as it was told to me. The blueberry that went around here in the interior of Alaska was not dj's blueberry. Also there was a blueberry strain that was bread in Salcha that was amazing. I never could get my hands in a cut of it.

Like I said though, I never actually got my hands in any MTF just a cross of it. The cross was a hybrid and unstable, that was the clone only strain of tanj. The tanj did start to flower under low light but not full auto flower another reason I ditched it.

Last edited:
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I'm a lifelong Alaskan and agree with the other Alaskan that MTF is not one Strain it was the blanket term for Marijuana coming out of the mat-su valley. Sure some cuts survived from some of those strains hell I know a family in fairbanks that have been growing out original mat-su strains for 30 years. All of them have been called MTF at one point. Any of you from the interior will remember the big nursery bust in the late 80s maybe early 90s you'll know who I'm talking about.

TLDR: You won't find what you'really looking for and if you do don't pay money for it because it's likely not what you think it is and will perpetuate the MTF myth.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I would like to add though AK is a worthwhile trip for any toker to make. Growing up people always talked about cali...been there done that and the best buds I've smoked are still AK grown. We have 6 months of cold and dark, what else are people gonna do?

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Old doc claims a lot .... I got my " ATF" cut for free from a young guy that claimed he got it from an old dude that had it forever. Got it in Washington state, Tacoma to be exact. Finishes outside here as good as anything west of the Cascades. Mine is take able at six weeks if I didn't know 8 was better. It is definitely Indica. Dark green almost blueish. With cold nights and maturity it gets a purple tinge. Mostly the leaves but it creeps into the flowers too. Smells juniper like. When curing it smells like a cat pissed. That dissipates as it cures. I don't even care if its "real" cause its actually good and sells well.
That's what I know as ATF

G

GrwrGoneWild

I'm a lifelong Alaskan and agree with the other Alaskan that MTF is not one Strain it was the blanket term for Marijuana coming out of the mat-su valley.

Maui-Wowie, BC Bud, Acapulco Gold.. MTF.. Regional strains, notice how they all have a location in the name not really a specific phenotype. .. However if you say MTF Tange cut.. sure.. that would be a specific pheno.

Kinda like OG's.. (OG is the what I gather a term for west coast "Ocean Grown") SF OG, Fire OG. etc.

akyoda32

akyoda32

I'm a lifelong Alaskan and agree with the other Alaskan that MTF is not one Strain it was the blanket term for Marijuana coming out of the mat-su valley. Sure some cuts survived from some of those strains hell I know a family in fairbanks that have been growing out original mat-su strains for 30 years. All of them have been called MTF at one point. Any of you from the interior will remember the big nursery bust in the late 80s maybe early 90s you'll know who I'm talking about.

TLDR: You won't find what you'really looking for and if you do don't pay money for it because it's likely not what you think it is and will perpetuate the MTF myth.
The nursery bust you are referring to wasn't mtf it was happy creek...completely different strain(at least that was what I was told when that was gifted to me in mid 90's). Dude is out of the clink though so you can ask him

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

The nursery bust you are referring to wasn't mtf it was happy creek...completely different strain(at least that was what I was told when that was gifted to me in mid 90's). Dude is out of the clink though so you can ask him

I wasn't referring to happy Creek and my point was none of it is MTF but those brothers grew some mean green in their day.

Top Bottom