Much needed coco advice for beginner.

• Thread starter songbird420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

songbird420

Greetings fam. I just transplanted some seedlings from light warrior in dixies to cococan coco. I noticed severe stunting that led me to test the runoff of the coco. The runoff tested at 960 ppm. Now i've already transplanted the babies into rinsed coco at a new ppm of 76, my concern is i have more babies the need to be transplanted and i really need 2 kno if the measures i took were enough. Also, is the 77 ppm low enough or should i aim lower? Thanks alot guys.

T

Towelie

Keep an eye on your PH and PPM and you will be fine. Rinse your coco, mix in some perlite and give them some food :)

G

GroHi

SB, I generally flush mine to >150 before I transplant & then with a light nute feed. You're numbers look fine.

The soil in the cups may continue to give off nutes whereas the coir needs to be fed w each watering, so...? Would go little low on your nute levels to start.

BTW, watch the CCC product. Perhaps they have changed things, but 2 years ago I got 2 bags of their product that contained several soil mites, 2 types of nematodes & springtails. $32 worth of their product cost me in excess of $400 to get rid of everything. Again, perhaps they changed things... Peace.

S

songbird420

Hey GroHi, i did a lil check on the root matter and its coming out fresh white, so i'm pretty much just waiting for some combustion process to happen above soil. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

sb420

Solidopc

Solidopc

If i were you i'd stop buying that coco that comes in bricks. Buy canna or biobizz coco and you don't need to wash it at all, you can use it straight from the bag. I just add some perlite for extra aeration, and some hydroton to the bottom of the pot for good drainage. I'd never buy these brick or slab type coco things they have at the hydroshop. The canna and biobizz are pretty cheap for 50 litres.

G

GroHi

Solidopc, that depends on a number of variables as I have gone through bags & bags & bags of both Canna & Atami. The bottom line for me is ease of use & transport. The bricks are much easier to move around w/o any notice... they move up flights of stairs quite a bit easier as well. Hydrating & mixing is the off side. Also is flushing- agreed as I've noticed the pH of bricks ALWAYS comes out very low to start, though bags of coir can come out in the mid 4's as well, so...

The total ppms of the flush vary between manufacturers, even in the hydrated bags. The Canna, if you check the run-off, will be in excess of 2000ppms... the Atami is actually much lower around 1300 if I recall properly. Buffered or no, all of my plants run better from the word go when I flush... bagged or compressed. No one company is the end all be all of coir. Peace brother.

Top Bottom