Mud pie grow (experiment in progress)

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I've been experimenting with different ways to do things outdoors, and I've done this little thing on my porch to demonstrate and verify that the idea is sound.

I'm wondering if anyone notices any foreseeable problems with this sort of approach.

Using a bubbler from a solar source to oxygenate a hydroponic hybrid of sorts. I wonder if this method could work outdoors and might be a bit more productive than a normal soil grow. I put "super soil" mud on top to keep bad things from happening to the water and roots below, because I know that fungal growth can become an issue with prolonged light exposure.

Mud pie grow experiment in progress
Mud pie grow experiment in progress 2
Mud pie grow experiment in progress 3
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
At night time, it stops bubbling, but I think it cools down sufficiently, and the metabolic needs during nighttime appear to do well without the machine running at that time. any thoughts on how I could improve upon this technique to make it worthwhile?

Any suggestion on how to do it on a larger scale perhaps? like along a creek bed, so that when I plant, they will be "self growers" plant in early april, early may, leave and come back at harvest. Maybe stop in now and again to do some checkups, infestation prevention.

Solar Pumps from the glacier creek-bed (I have glacial melt all year long, a creek runs though center of my land) then install super soil, and solar aeration pump, hopefully each node is capable of multiple plants. I want it to be low profile as possible.

I'm thinking they could be done in 3 or 5 gallon "bowls" cut into the underlying clay in the area, bring in some of the nice foxfarms frog type soil from the forest floor (up above on my land) and bring it down to the creek side, and make little "mud pies" as that area has more clay and rock content. Make like natural "bowls" cut into the clay and sediment, a few feet from the creek. then plant about 5 to 7 (autoflowrs) in each. Infact, this might be a nice way to do a few photoperids and let them get hella big.

It's a rain forsest, so I think if I do it early, I don't really need anything, because it rains almost everyday early in the year up here. Where I'm talking about specifically, It rains there about 200 days a year. (I have well over 10 acres) The soil content up there is some of the best you could possibly wish for growing cannabis, it's virtually perfect, just in the wrong spot under the forest canopy.

Last edited:
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

My worry would be during flowering, especially later stages with all that humidity and general "wetness", for lack of a better term as mold is gonna be hard to avoid inside the buds. Then there is mildew which also might be problematic.

What are the temps like?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
My trusty little stealth grow pack tools for making holes.

IMG 20200822 1903121
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
My worry would be during flowering, especially later stages with all that humidity and general "wetness", for lack of a better term as mold is gonna be hard to avoid inside the buds. Then there is mildew which also might be problematic.

What are the temps like?
yea, that's why I want to time them this upcoming year, with the auto's I can do that. If I plant them on april 15 than they should be done before July 30 which would ensure a very dry time during the flowering. There's a ton of mountain flowers up there at that time, and they do excellent.

Temps in april are around 55f and during summer is 70-80's

This explains the weather there well. Help me develop a plan here fellas.

I"m thinking 4/15->>5/15 depending on what we see locally this next year. (keep in mind I can plant them indoors and transplant them into environment, although I also like to plant some by seed "in the ground".)

Capture
Capture8
Capture7
Capture6
Capture4
Capture3
Capture2
Last edited:
Top Bottom