Multiple Plants in Large Containers

• Thread starter JohnnyApp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

Just curious if anyone has experience with growing multiple plants in Large containers.

I've seen several discussions regarding root tangling and overcrowding, but these issues seemed to arise from a lack of planning, rather than a flaw in the philosophy.

Vegging too long will result in root issues if ample soil is not provided, regardless of how many pots you have, and if plants are trained away from each other, and enough space is provided, canopy crowding seems like a non issue.

Been growing since 06 and one day it dawned on me the amount of extra work associated with managing multiple smaller containers. Each amendment must be measured multiple times, rather than simply using one larger dose spread throughout the container, each individual pot/bag must be checked to ensure even water usage/delivery.

Seems unnecessary assuming ample soil is provided in consideration of veg/bloom time frame and number of plants sharing the space.

Strains could be separated by container so as to reduce differences in growth rate. Topping, pinch pruning, defoliation, and trellising could be practiced at different times to prevent canopy overcrowding.

My logic is that nature does not grow plants in several different pots, just one big one 🤓

So why spend time measuring the same amendments multiple times, dealing with the uneven water usage of plants and purchasing more pots?

25 Gal DIY sips containers, Started under LEDs, hardening off under 600w MH, Flowering under 1000w hps on light rails, CO2 will be provided during flower

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey johnny app , not sure , but i will tell you i really like your lighting set up
Led + 600 mh +1000 hps = 😍

Or just let them lights on all at once last 30 days 🤣🤣🤣

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Howdy JA,
Sounds like you have a good system worked out.
I use BIG bags for my grows, I have 12 in it right now though a few will be boys.
My total capacity is 93+ gallons.
I start under 6- 4ft T5's HO.
I used to grow under 4- 600 watt HID lamps but am now doing my first run under LED.

Last edited:
JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

IMG 20200223 014716646
Hey johnny app , not sure , but i will tell you i really like your lighting set up
Led + 600 mh +1000 hps = 😍

Or just let them lights on all at once last 30 days 🤣🤣🤣
Lol. At one point I had the LEDs staggered in every other row but after several grows the conclusion I came to was that it's tough to beat hps. I only have an 80" ceiling height and the LEDs require a 42" distance (manufacturer originally told me 24-36")...

The IR diodes we're causing a weird purpling which damaged leaves (turned crispy), even when I moved them on the light rails over a 50% larger area so I decided to retire them to the veg area and run them dimmed. Viparspectra LED = company to avoid
Howdy JA,
Sounds like you have a good system worked out.
I use BIG bags for my grows, I have 12 in it right now though a few will be boys.
My total capacity is 93+ gallons.
I start under 6- 4ft T5's HO.
I used to grow under 4- 600 watt HID lamps but am now doing my first run under LED.
It's a bit more hookey boo than I normally have it (up on buckets haha) but I recently started renovating the basement with a partition wall to separate the veg area and sealing the flower area with spray foam and I wasn't trying to install the pulley's after all that, too lazy..

And that's what's up. It seems like larger containers essentially eliminate the chances of underwatering bc the moisture change of the soil is slower. I'd venture to say the plants appreciate that consistency

Glad to hear I'm not the first pioneer to walk the path indoors lol.

Word to the wise though. I would really suggest running an experiment. I dove in balls deep with LEDs, bought 4 Viparspectra 1200w PAR series and swapped out all of my hps.

I noticed three things, my terpene production went up, crystallization went up, and yield went way down. Got best results with them staggered in between the hps, it was a happier middle ground that didn't plummet the yield. Be very watchful during bloom weeks 3-4 for signs of "LED" light stress! Veg plants don't really show it, it pops up during early flower. It didn't look like the white bleaching either. Leaves started changing color, which looked cool, but then they started dying! Which did not 😌

IMG 20200220 183118724
IMG 20200116 202019145
IMG 20200221 211249978 HDR
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Looks like you have plenty of room.
And I am looking for good results from the LED's, I have QB type on a mover.
Most run LED in tents, I'm in a open room, time will tell

JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

Looks like you have plenty of room.
And I am looking for good results from the LED's, I have QB type on a mover.
Most run LED in tents, I'm in a open room, time will tell
It always does. And there's plenty for now, just trying to keep it manageable for one person, so as to not need trimmers. No more endless trimming sessions and paying out the ace to process stuff.. My goal is to have two containers per light with a 100-128 sq ft of canopy under 4k, each light approximately two weeks apart so it'll be a perpetual harvest.

Movers are game changers so I expect your results will be better. Plus, my PAR series LEDs are essentially antiques now, older style bridglux and epileds if I recall correctly (2016), a few more years and they'll be collecting social security benefits..

Best of luck with the garden and thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom