Multiple pollination tents (with carbon filters to stop cross-pollination)?

• Thread starter mrblackberrycrush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrblackberrycrush

mrblackberrycrush

Is this possible? I want to Self (make an s1 generation) of two different strains). Easiest way is to have two tents each with its own carbon filter which would pick up the excess pollination.

For extra security you could switch to flower 2-3 weeks apart from each other so that the male balls open and pollinate before the other grow tent.

Once pollinated one tent, spray water over walls (even run a humidifier for a few hours in the tent with the light and filter taken out to stop them getting wet as carbon filters get destroyed by humidity and maybe the electronics of the light if it was 100% RH).

threatco

threatco

Is this possible? I want to Self (make an s1 generation) of two different strains). Easiest way is to have two tents each with its own carbon filter which would pick up the excess pollination.

For extra security you could switch to flower 2-3 weeks apart from each other so that the male balls open and pollinate before the other grow tent.

Once pollinated one tent, spray water over walls (even run a humidifier for a few hours in the tent with the light and filter taken out to stop them getting wet as carbon filters get destroyed by humidity and maybe the electronics of the light if it was 100% RH).
@redshift75 you had some cool ideas related to doing this.

R

redshift75

yes it is totally possible and im in the process of attempting it. I did work out my filter solution. Carbon filter is a simple route to go. I would need a merv13 rating to stop pollen but when i went to the store they had like merv 5 or merv 7 i think for $1 on clearance. Since i dont need them for pollen yet... i figured id hold off as they run about $30 a piece.

You could in theory just run each tent with inlet and outlet carbon filter. I dont need carbon filters for the smell so instead i built a box. 3 sides are filters. It will actually be a heat reclaimer when im done. So 3 tents each filter intake through the box. They have a return that will exit go back to the box enter my diy heat exchanger and exhaust through without mixing air. For now it does mix air and alternatively i could just vent all 3 tents outside and put a small filter over the exit duct. since you can run fans 24/7 and maintain positive pressure you can try to maintain the principle of not crossing over the air flow thus no particulate exhange between tents.

I was just pricing out some cheap small merv13-16 filters and was considering creating a box and attaching them to a dust hood in all 3 tents on the exhaust/return line. This will give me filtered air in but also trap the pollen on the return line from re-entering in my current setup.

In this setup my fans will last longer then a setup using a charcoal filter. Unless you went with a charcoal filter 3-5x bigger then your needs because of the surface area of the filter. Less drag all that good stuff. is quite a few ways one could do this. in my setup you could technically run 2 fans no return go merv13-16, maintain positive pressure environment and sterilize/saturate between going in tents shouldnt have much to worry about. Technically the filter being in the room will help filter the room as well from residual particulates in the air. Or something to that yada yada effect ;)

my supplies were 4 2x4's 4 4" flanges 2 2'x4' wood panels (i just went with the cheap pressed board for like $2 a panel) 2 tubes of silicone to seal it. I went silicone heavy... 3 filters and your regular ducting. All in all it cost me more for the flanges than it did to build the entire box with my clearance filters i found. They were sweat deodorizing allergen ones that were normally like $12.

Last edited by a moderator:
mrblackberrycrush

mrblackberrycrush

Interesting, thanks for the post. I will definitely need the carbon filter for the smell and was thinking about running it on a timer once every hour or second hour to increase its lifespan. Although, now reading you speak of maintaining positive pressure it makes me question this.

I don't think that stopping fans and carbon filter for an hour at a time would cause pollen to make its way out of the grow tent and in to another grow tent though... even if it did, those minor amounts of pollen from the other tent would be competing with a different strain of pollen that is far more in excess that it would be improbable that it would pollinate the females. Just in case you could be air purifier replacement filters (HEPA filters) and put them on the intake of the growtent (and the output vent after the carbon filter if youre really paranoid!).

Last edited:
LuckySeedCo

LuckySeedCo

I like your setup redshift, great DIY.

I have a stallion tent running on an exhaust filter and my head stash tent using a dust shroom intake filter.

The dust shroom is like a K&N filter as it can be cleaned and reoiled with I think some kinda vegetable base oil. It's worked so far against pollen contamination but it's a little expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom