Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice! That'll definitely do the thing.
Never seen a rocker/weight like that. I assume it comes off? Venting is a pretty critical factor. But... manufacturers know that and design them with some way of doing so.

Yeah the weight comes off and can be positioned to vent at 5, 10 or 15 psi. The emergency blowoff is in great shape too so im not all that concerned about it exploding.

Get any agar/cell culturing supplies?
I can kick my ass in gear and go through making agar/pouring plates if you did.
But I'm sure you wanna get that colonized dish to grain ASAP... although, if you wanna keep it going... you'll want some extra plates.
Also always a good idea to make sure they're clean by taking a little sample culture before you put it to grain.

I did.. but for now i bought 5 prepoured plates. My plan is to cut this culture into 6 pieces, 5 will go into grain, and the 6th slice will be cut into 3 pieces to culture 3 new plates. The other 2 plates ill be innoculating with syringes of peurto rican spores.
For now... I plan to use glad wrap instead of the special stretchy tape whos name is escaping me for sealing up the petri dishs.

Ill be ordering some agar soon though, ive got tons of light dme here. Just seemed like one process i can wait on and dive into later.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice! You seem like a logicsl kind of guy....so im using a portable AC to cool my room and heat the rest of my living space with the exhaust...is this the stupidest thing i could be doing? If refrigerant leaks even just a little will i smell it taste etc? Any idea what i can do to mitigate it from leaking besides over use overheating?
Have to admit on the refrigerant leak side of things... Not sure. Thats a question for an HVAC person.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
And it begins:)
4BAA249A 70B1 49EC A40E 1F91BCB7A7A6
A4B5D28C E1EE 423D 87E0 046E1AD489A2

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Damn, is it just the one PF jar contaminated? Or are they all funky?

Were these from syringe or agar?

beluga

beluga

Yeah the weight comes off and can be positioned to vent at 5, 10 or 15 psi. The emergency blowoff is in great shape too so im not all that concerned about it exploding.

I did.. but for now i bought 5 prepoured plates. My plan is to cut this culture into 6 pieces, 5 will go into grain, and the 6th slice will be cut into 3 pieces to culture 3 new plates. The other 2 plates ill be innoculating with syringes of peurto rican spores.
For now... I plan to use glad wrap instead of the special stretchy tape whos name is escaping me for sealing up the petri dishs.

Ill be ordering some agar soon though, ive got tons of light dme here. Just seemed like one process i can wait on and dive into later.
Parafilm is a pain in the ass and has a shelf life to an extent... it'll get brittle over time. I just cut my cling wrap roll into ~1.5 - 2" segements and it lasts for hundreds of plates without worrying about it.

But that all sounds like a solid plan. Good luck man!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Parafilm is a pain in the ass and has a shelf life to an extent... it'll get brittle over time. I just cut my cling wrap roll into ~1.5 - 2" segements and it lasts for hundreds of plates without worrying about it.

But that all sounds like a solid plan. Good luck man!
Parafilm... thank you. So many new words this week lol. Thanks man, im hopeful enough prep will put the odds in my favor.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

lol man.. I cant use this canner on my glass cooktop stove 🤨

I do have an outdoor gas burner.. Might give that a shot. Hopefully dont warp the pot.

Even like a camping burner should be fine for that. The trick to not warping pots is to let them cool slowly. Excited to see how it turns out!

beluga

beluga

lol man.. I cant use this canner on my glass cooktop stove 🤨

I do have an outdoor gas burner.. Might give that a shot. Hopefully dont warp the pot.
Man, me and my better half had been cursed with a glass cooktop for ~10 years. We're both pretty avid cooks, her far more than I (but I bake like a boss), and I've always done shit that requires long, consistent boils like PCing and brewing.
We moved into this place, which has propane heat, and it came with another fucking glasstop... 'wtf? Nope!'
First order of business was converting and, man, we're in fucking heaven with the gas range.

I definitely used it (glasstop) for the PC a lot (maybe yours is induction?), but it added a solid hour and a half just to heat the thing up, vent, and bring to pressure. Then another 1.5 - 2 hours.
I used the kettle burner whenever I could, but didn't have a place that was covered from the elements, so that limited things.
As long as you don't crank it up, you're good.
Like kanzeon said, cooling is a big thing - always let it come back to atmospheric pressure on its own.
But there is a concern with using too many BTUs with these things - many of them come with an aluminum core to their base and blasting those flames can actually soften that enough to warp it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man, me and my better half had been cursed with a glass cooktop for ~10 years. We're both pretty avid cooks, her far more than I (but I bake like a boss), and I've always done shit that requires long, consistent boils like PCing and brewing.
We moved into this place, which has propane heat, and it came with another fucking glasstop... 'wtf? Nope!'
First order of business was converting and, man, we're in fucking heaven with the gas range.

I definitely used it (glasstop) for the PC a lot (maybe yours is induction?), but it added a solid hour and a half just to heat the thing up, vent, and bring to pressure. Then another 1.5 - 2 hours.
I used the kettle burner whenever I could, but didn't have a place that was covered from the elements, so that limited things.
As long as you don't crank it up, you're good.
Like kanzeon said, cooling is a big thing - always let it come back to atmospheric pressure on its own.
But there is a concern with using too many BTUs with these things - many of them come with an aluminum core to their base and blasting those flames can actually soften that enough to warp it.

I did a bit more "research" (sorry scientists), and found my GE stove is actually ok for canning as long as the pot doesnt exceed 1 inch past the burner. And it has one huge burner in the front that fits the pot perfectly.

Im starting to feel better about buying the more expensive stove... lol, the other one we looked at didnt have the giant front burner.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Even like a camping burner should be fine for that. The trick to not warping pots is to let them cool slowly. Excited to see how it turns out!
My pot comes with a warning not to use it on burners over 12000BTU. I can turn mine down but i dont know how low.. Its about 65000BTU though.

I think ill just use my glass cooktop and give it a shot. I think itll be ok.

beluga

beluga

My pot comes with a warning not to use it on burners over 12000BTU. I can turn mine down but i dont know how low.. Its about 65000BTU though.

I think ill just use my glass cooktop and give it a shot. I think itll be ok.
Yeah, I used some irresponsible 'math' to just calculate roughly 12000 BTUs on my kettle burner... just didn't ever crank the regulator past 1/5 - 1/6 turn. Darkstar burners have a fairly decent regulator, so...
Either way, best to play it safe.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well, apparently i have 2 pressure vessels now lol. And the smaller one has a pressure guage. I think this might be the one to use for the first few runs. Its older but in ok condition, and has an emergency pressure relief. Looks to be about 16qt or so. Actually had this one already stashed in the metal pile at work lol.
20201114 160758

Top Bottom