Staff
Supporter
Amazing what 12 hours makes
49E04DA2 AC07 48B7 B5A8 E6F97A6AAB89

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Found it difficult to remove with a disposable exacto.
Heated on and bent at a 90 to make level cuts.

beluga

beluga

Plastic definitely helps to get the side fruits harvested:)View attachment 1070872
For sure does.
I only do my bigger 56 quart monotubs with liners.
The shoeboxes I fill up with water so they float... or try to tip them out delicately and break like upwards of 10% of them 🤦
They often recover alright... but I dunno why I don't just use a liner for them, too... 🤔 or just always float them... I guess it comes down to laziness and numbers... I'll spawn up to 12 shoeboxes at a time and cutting liners or dealing with filling/empty all of them is a serious PITA.

beluga

beluga

Tub is fruited and ready to soak,
How long should I soak?
Does it need to be refrigerated?
I'd do anywhere from 0 - 12 hours.
Kinda depends on the condition of your substrate... if you notice it's lost considerable weight or looks dry, I'd overnight it. If it still seems to be pretty well-saturated, I'd probably skip the soak and maybe just give it a good drenching mist - let whatever accumulates stay around until tomorrow and drain it off then.

They do not need to be refrigerated.

edit: by 'overnight it' I should say 6 - 12 hours... just waking up and remembering it's morning 😬

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I'd do anywhere from 0 - 12 hours.
Kinda depends on the condition of your substrate... if you notice it's lost considerable weight or looks dry, I'd overnight it. If it still seems to be pretty well-saturated, I'd probably skip the soak and maybe just give it a good drenching mist - let whatever accumulates stay around until tomorrow and drain it off then.

They do not need to be refrigerated.
Thanks!!
Really appreciate your expertise on this particular subject!
You’ve been a huge help:)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man.. am I ever feeling discouraged today. The shoeboxes seem ok but damned if everything else isnt looking contaminated with something. All the g2g jars i did are looking wet around the mycelium, and its moving super slow so likely bacterial.
and both my petrie dishes look contamnated with something. The peurto rican was nasty the next day, but the Amazonian looked great until this morning when this spot appeared in the corner. Not sure what it is but its not mycelium. Ive got 1 agar dish left so ill try and move the mycelium to it soon and see if i can save it.
20201224 095257

I think my house just isnt nearly clean enough for this hobby, even in an SAB. So far every single agar plate ive done has become contaminated and 10 out of 14 spawn jars have gone contaminated. Thats a terrible rate of success lol.

Ill give a couple more cracks at it, but if this perpetual contamination persists i think ill move on from this hobby.

Last edited:
chemistry

chemistry

Looks to wet for mould, take the lid off and replace it with a sterile dry new one.

beluga

beluga

Man.. am I ever feeling discouraged today. The shoeboxes seem ok but damned if everything else isnt looking contaminated with something. All the g2g jars i did are looking wet around the mycelium, and its moving super slow so likely bacterial.
and both my petrie dishes look contamnated with something. The peurto rican was nasty the next day, but the Amazonian looked great until this morning when this spot appeared in the corner. Not sure what it is but its not mycelium. Ive got 1 agar dish left so ill try and move the mycelium to it soon and see if i can save it.
View attachment 1071095

I think my house just isnt nearly clean enough for this hobby, even in an SAB.

Ill give a couple more cracks at it, but if this perpetual contamination persists i think ill move on from this hobby.
You'll get over this hump.
The contamination is a constant factor and gets less and less as you hone your technique... or upgrade equipment (flow hood), but even that requires the same ol' repeat, fail, refine as with most things in life. I've worked in new homes, super old homes, basements, etc... it's all teeming with microbial life.

You may have dove into the deep end a little quickly with G2G... it's definitely prone to failure especially if you can't move freely.
I think in the meantime or as a next inexpensive move, you'd do much better if you got yourself a bigger SAB and tried to start making your own agar dishes and did some culturing... definitely helps to really hone those skills and get an eye for things.

I think you've got the touch for it and I think those tubs look excellent and you'll probably have a change of heart in the next few days here.

That little yellow blob is a yeast I believe.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah no doubt ill get back on it, i dont like to be defeated. But im sure feeling defeated right now lol. When i saw my g2g looking super wet today and then saw that spot on the amazonian i had a real moment of, ok, well.. fuck this shit then...

That'll likely turn the corner once i actually see some mushrooms from all this effort.

I deplore working in the SAB, it feels extremely awkward and uncomfortable. And i think thats translating to making awkward movements in it and kicking up air currents etc.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Is all bacteria a huge deal? I saw a dish that had a similar small amount of bacteria and when the myc reached it the spot completely disappeared. Looked like the myc had ate all of it.

beluga

beluga

Yeah no doubt ill get back on it, i dont like to be defeated. But im sure feeling defeated right now lol. When i saw my g2g looking super wet today and then saw that spot on the amazonian i had a real moment of, ok, well.. fuck this shit then...

That'll likely turn the corner once i actually see some mushrooms from all this effort.

I deplore working in the SAB, it feels extremely awkward and uncomfortable. And i think thats translating to making awkward movements in it and kicking up air currents etc.
I know the reaction all too well.
It's the 'work on a piece of artwork for 30 hours only to make a small mistake and ham-fistedly gouge at it with a piece of charcoal and throw it in the trash'... reaction.

I can't say for sure, but I trust if you get a 100+ quart tote for your SAB, you'll be a little less repulsed by it. Better than the $400 minimum to build a hood.

beluga

beluga

Is all bacteria a huge deal? I saw a dish that had a similar small amount of bacteria and when the myc reached it the spot completely disappeared. Looked like the myc had ate all of it.
They can definitely push past bacteria... even other fungi, yeast, etc.
But if you're on a petri dish, it's kind of pointless not to just transfer it away until it's axenic.
You can definitely still use the dish, just avoiding the contaminated spots, but you should also have a reasonable expectation for failure.

Top Bottom