Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

I get ya on the still air box, they are a pita. Perhaps someone will give us a guide on a flowhood. I had a hepa filter in storage for one, but mice chewed up that $200 filter.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I get ya on the still air box, they are a pita. Perhaps someone will give us a guide on a flowhood. I had a hepa filter in storage for one, but mice chewed up that $200 filter.

You can find those check either mycotopia (my old fav spot) Or shroomery,, Either or both have diagrams.

Those god damn filters are stupid expensive which is the only reason I never bought one in the past either. And i suck so bad at building anything r u f kidding lol

I mean to build an actual Laminar flow hood requires specific dimensions and spacing and if you fuck that up even the slightest bit your flow won't be so laminar lol

I applaud anyone who can actually build one tho you got mad skills that i seriously lack :D

GOD I love this thread, you sum bitches are makign me wanna get back into shrooms.... I have no fuckin room for even a single jar right now but i wanna do it sooooooooooooo bad! :P

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

You can find those check either mycotopia (my old fav spot) Or shroomery,, Either or both have diagrams.

Those god damn filters are stupid expensive which is the only reason I never bought one in the past either. And i suck so bad at building anything r u f kidding lol

I mean to build an actual Laminar flow hood requires specific dimensions and spacing and if you fuck that up even the slightest bit your flow won't be so laminar lol

I applaud anyone who can actually build one tho you got mad skills that i seriously lack :D

GOD I love this thread, you sum bitches are makign me wanna get back into shrooms.... I have no fuckin room for even a single jar right now but i wanna do it sooooooooooooo bad! :P
The building part is easy, its just blower sizing/filter/box design for me. I am a carpenter, so I should be able to digest it down to a step by step, cut this piece this big attach to x. I would love to not have to mess with a sab.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
The building part is easy, its just blower sizing/filter/box design for me. I am a carpenter, so I should be able to digest it down to a step by step, cut this piece this big attach to x. I would love to not have to mess with a sab.

Easy he says!! EASY HE SAYS!!! :P They said the same thing about growing weed :P

But its more the math that will fuck me up everytime shit has to be sooooo precise and i'll cut 3 times measure 9 and still have a cut that somehow went Zig zag when i was using a straight saw :\

Build one then sell it to me on the cheap :P Professional ones are like shit at least 500 now.. I checked em out back in 2009 they were like 499+ shipping, and infact i just checked now cause i rememebred where they sell em.. holy fucking jesus 900$!!!

Ugh.

So totally build one your self cheaper!!!!! Jesus 900.. wtf.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Easy he says!! EASY HE SAYS!!! :P They said the same thing about growing weed :P

But its more the math that will fuck me up everytime shit has to be sooooo precise and i'll cut 3 times measure 9 and still have a cut that somehow went Zig zag when i was using a straight saw :\

Build one then sell it to me on the cheap :P Professional ones are like shit at least 500 now.. I checked em out back in 2009 they were like 499+ shipping, and infact i just checked now cause i rememebred where they sell em.. holy fucking jesus 900$!!!

Ugh.

So totally build one your self cheaper!!!!! Jesus 900.. wtf.

I'm guessing a good filter is around $200, probably 100 or so for a blower, and another 100 for mdf, caulk, screws etc. As for cutting a straight line can't help ya there lol maybe a couple tips. If i do need to cut off 4x8 sheets by myself i don't use a table saw i use 2 c-clamps, a straight edge, and a circular saw.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I'm guessing a good filter is around $200, probably 100 or so for a blower, and another 100 for mdf, caulk, screws etc. As for cutting a straight line can't help ya there lol maybe a couple tips. If i do need to cut off 4x8 sheets by myself i don't use a table saw i use 2 c-clamps, a straight edge, and a circular saw.

400$ is a far cry from charging people 900$ dammn rip off artists lol

and yeah I'll admit i don't even have a table saw, I've had to cut huge sheets of sub floor with,, get this.. a compound miter saw :\

But it does slide like 10 inches so i can at least get ALOMOST 1/2 way thru the board before i have to flip it over lol..

then finish it off with a circular saw and watch as my cut went / and \ and ... well i give up at that point lol..

some of us are cut out for wood working some of us are cut out for hiring those with wood workign skills :P

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

this video shows a little too much detail but around the 15 minute mark he explains how to match a fan to the filter. still too much money for me, i'll struggle to look through a kinda clear tote as a glovebox for four hundred...

i washed some oats and started the soak tonight.... i started enough for eight jars this time!!!!

I also need to prep some lids for them. i'm not sure if this is common knowledge but i see a lot of folks on youtube using a drill to put holes in their lids, leaving burrs or tearing the thin metal... i just wanted to share my method...

DSCN0272

a standard paper hole punch is 1/4" diameter. cuts a perfectly clean hole, no burrs, no rips, and no metal shavings... for the smaller size holes to use the syringe filters i used a leather punch... works perfect!!!!

i can make lids right in the living room watching tv!!!!

🙃

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

this video shows a little too much detail but around the 15 minute mark he explains how to match a fan to the filter. still too much money for me, i'll struggle to look through a kinda clear tote as a glovebox for four hundred...

i washed some oats and started the soak tonight.... i started enough for eight jars this time!!!!

I also need to prep some lids for them. i'm not sure if this is common knowledge but i see a lot of folks on youtube using a drill to put holes in their lids, leaving burrs or tearing the thin metal... i just wanted to share my method...

View attachment 1008411

a standard paper hole punch is 1/4" diameter. cuts a perfectly clean hole, no burrs, no rips, and no metal shavings... for the smaller size holes to use the syringe filters i used a leather punch... works perfect!!!!

i can make lids right in the living room watching tv!!!!

🙃
Love it, I'm going to pick up a punch next time I'm out. I used a dremel to shave off the burs, but this is quicker lol.

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Love it, I'm going to pick up a punch next time I'm out. I used a dremel to shave off the burs, but this is quicker lol.

yeah thats what i did as well... took me an hour to make a dozen lids and sometimes out in the cold ass garage too. and the brf cakes use four holes in each lid... grrr... no more of that, the punch is quick clean and ez!!

tonight i sterilized eight quarts of oats, four liquid culture jars, and a couple syringes... tomorrow i plan to inoculate them and get things started for a double batch.

i splurged a little and picked up a magnetic stir for the liquid cultures...

so i didn't listen to you and i peeked in on the other grain jars and felt the need to break up the grains again...... i'm kicking myself in the ass now for not listening.....

DSCN0273

broke right in the palm of my hand....

i have no idea how old this jar was, i found it laying around. good thing i made five jars for that first try...

live and learn.... and anyone else reading this, just learn and don't do what i did!!!

🙂

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

yeah thats what i did as well... took me an hour to make a dozen lids and sometimes out in the cold ass garage too. and the brf cakes use four holes in each lid... grrr... no more of that, the punch is quick clean and ez!!

tonight i sterilized eight quarts of oats, four liquid culture jars, and a couple syringes... tomorrow i plan to inoculate them and get things started for a double batch.

i splurged a little and picked up a magnetic stir for the liquid cultures...

View attachment 1009064

so i didn't listen to you and i peeked in on the other grain jars and felt the need to break up the grains again...... i'm kicking myself in the ass now for not listening.....

View attachment 1009066

broke right in the palm of my hand....

i have no idea how old this jar was, i found it laying around. good thing i made five jars for that first try...

live and learn.... and anyone else reading this, just learn and don't do what i did!!!

🙂

Dang man that's to bad. It's only 1 jar though. The main thing is your not getting stitches.

Did you start these guys from spore or live culture?

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Dang man that's to bad. It's only 1 jar though. The main thing is your not getting stitches.

Did you start these guys from spore or live culture?

Yes sir, you're absolutely correct it could have been much worse and i do consider myself very lucky for not having a scratch on me!!

all the jars i've done so far are from spore syringes that i bought for the spore works. i put some of each strain in the liquid culture jars just to keeps some going so i won't have to buy them every time.

tonight i also took my first clone from a mushroom i had growing from the brf cakes. i injected a piece of inner tissue into a liquid culture jar that i sterilized last night.

i also injected the oat jars today. i put treasure coast in four oat jars and then Mazatapec in the other four oat jars and also put some spores in liquid culture jars for the future...

DSCN0277

i have one more syringe of PES amazonian spores that i plan to start in a few weeks.

i guess my next step would be to wait for total colonization then mix up the bulk substrate and make the tubs. i'll document it all right here weather good or bad.. but i'm counting on success!!! the brf cakes gave me little leg up on being a total noob but really that is just clean room procedure that really helped, pretty much everything else is all new to me and with your details i felt pretty comfortable going for it... of coarse i had to read it over six or seven times to sink it in good!!!

but i'm excited man, i even found homes for the stuff that was in my tubs... cleaned out four of them just for shrooms. they were only touched once and had cloth in them so they're like new. i'm gonna mix your recipe of substrate and put it one tub without putting any holes in it, then mark out another tub, drill the holes then try to transfer the black plastic and substrate into the made up tub... "try" being the key word!!

and since our tubs are very similar in size i will also use 7/8" holes. i think i have a unibit that size if not i'll use a paddle bit. i have hole saws but i'm not a fan at all.

i have black contractor bags to line the tubs one bag will cover all four tubs but i was looking at maybe painting the bottoms down the road to save plastic, do you have any thoughts or opinions on painting the bottoms?

my tubs have a strengthening dimple all the way around the bottom so maybe that would act as a "ditch" and hold water where i don't want it, or do i?

🙃

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Yes sir, you're absolutely correct it could have been much worse and i do consider myself very lucky for not having a scratch on me!!

all the jars i've done so far are from spore syringes that i bought for the spore works. i put some of each strain in the liquid culture jars just to keeps some going so i won't have to buy them every time.

tonight i also took my first clone from a mushroom i had growing from the brf cakes. i injected a piece of inner tissue into a liquid culture jar that i sterilized last night.

i also injected the oat jars today. i put treasure coast in four oat jars and then Mazatapec in the other four oat jars and also put some spores in liquid culture jars for the future...

View attachment 1009551

i have one more syringe of PES amazonian spores that i plan to start in a few weeks.

i guess my next step would be to wait for total colonization then mix up the bulk substrate and make the tubs. i'll document it all right here weather good or bad.. but i'm counting on success!!! the brf cakes gave me little leg up on being a total noob but really that is just clean room procedure that really helped, pretty much everything else is all new to me and with your details i felt pretty comfortable going for it... of coarse i had to read it over six or seven times to sink it in good!!!

but i'm excited man, i even found homes for the stuff that was in my tubs... cleaned out four of them just for shrooms. they were only touched once and had cloth in them so they're like new. i'm gonna mix your recipe of substrate and put it one tub without putting any holes in it, then mark out another tub, drill the holes then try to transfer the black plastic and substrate into the made up tub... "try" being the key word!!

and since our tubs are very similar in size i will also use 7/8" holes. i think i have a unibit that size if not i'll use a paddle bit. i have hole saws but i'm not a fan at all.

i have black contractor bags to line the tubs one bag will cover all four tubs but i was looking at maybe painting the bottoms down the road to save plastic, do you have any thoughts or opinions on painting the bottoms?

my tubs have a strengthening dimple all the way around the bottom so maybe that would act as a "ditch" and hold water where i don't want it, or do i?

🙃

The bag is a liner that sticks to the sub to prevent side pinning. It also prevents it from becoming soaked by the constant moisture running down the tubs. I don't think painting is going to be much benefit at all.

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

The bag is a liner that sticks to the sub to prevent side pinning. It also prevents it from becoming soaked by the constant moisture running down the tubs. I don't think painting is going to be much benefit at all.

Ahhh, ok i understand a little more now. here i thought it was just for light blockage. it preventing side pins makes sense to me. and me being a noob and not having the moisture content down pat it's probably really good that the bag helps from over wetting the substrate.

i tell ya, i'm learning something new almost every day!!!

I gotta try this in my apartment. I only need 1/4 a month

you could easily manage that with five BRF cakes at a time. get yourself a perpetual style growing and you'll always have some on hand.

🙂

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

After you do a successful run you will see how easy it really is. Then you will be making changes that suit your needs.

juggernaut

juggernaut

I have the mushroom cultivator book some where.

I was even thinking for convenience sake to just buy a mushroom grow kit. 7g a month could even end being more if they help with my pain.

I was told mushrooms were only good for about a month?

Top Bottom