Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Yeah, its a crazy long story, loaded with peril, sex, drugs and abandoned houses.

We're doing fine now.
glad to hear it man. hopefully everything mellows out enough for a relaxing (as can be) holiday season for you and the lady.

here's the first five plates I've ever made. mixed up 500ml MEA and poured 20 plates on Saturday. Innoculated these five Sunday. The three actives were from spore syringes, the two oyster plates from streaking. The print was made a couple years ago from the fruit from a log I attempted to get going that just didn't take all that well, so figured I'd see if the print was even viable. Will know for sure if it's mycelium in the next couple days. Hopefully the treasure coast, pan cyan, and azure all come through. Didn't have luck with the cyans in my last run with em, every single jar ended up contaminated. Haven't tried the azure yet as I've waited till winter season to work on building up enough substrate to make an outdoor bed come spring. The treasure coast is just an experiment in isolating and cleaning up mycelium for eventual grain innoculation. If all goes well, I'll make transfers of each in hopes of getting a real clean culture before letting the plates run then making liquid cultures with each and start prepping spawn bags.

PXL 20221025 234515497

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have no idea of where to get spores much less grow them. That's something I never tried to grow.
I would'nt mind giving it a shot. How long is the grow? Overnight in our yard.... 😂

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I have no idea of where to get spores much less grow them. That's something I never tried to grow.
I would'nt mind giving it a shot. How long is the grow? Overnight in our yard.... 😂
Depends on the method. It can take six weeks to months, depending on a lot of variables. Psilocybe Cubensis is the easiest ime, and takes the least amount of time depending on method. BRF tek is the most beginner friendly, and lowest cost to embark on. I never had much success with it so jumped right into bulk methods with wild bird seed and manure instead, and that was my bread and butter throughout college haha.

Pretty sure most mushroom growing hobbiests get started with them and venture into other kinds after they get the hang of all the shit you have to learn and equipment you need to be successful (aseptic processes, pressure cooker -- not an instapot, a real one -- still air box or flow hood, jars, media, spores, etc). one of the more reputable places to source spores is spore works, though I've not bought from them personally. for exotic varieties like panaeoulous cyanescens and/or psilocybe azurescens (not super exotic but unreasonably difficult to find spores for) there are other vendors.

It's worth a shot. Personally I didn't have my first good harvest of cannabis until I became proficient at propagating mushrooms. Something just clicked. Plus, mushrooms have this instant gratification thing... they move fast (most of the time). You're not stuck waiting for months for something to happen, everything moves fairly seamlessly.

EDIT: yes, i'm trying to sell you on growing mushrooms 😁

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
What kind of $$ am I looking at for a beginner setup?
Pressure cooker - $50
Box of pint Ball jars - $10
Brown Rice Flower - ~$5
Vermiculite - $5?
Painter's Tyvek suit - $3?
2x Sterilite container - $20?
Perlite - $5?
Spores - $15

Baseline roughly $120ish. Can easily spend a lot more, but this will get you a beginner setup that could easily produce enough weight that is worth at least your investment if you were to buy your dry harvest weight. Keep in mind this is just for equipment and materials, and does not account for time spent learning, cooking, and innoculating everything.

For reading materials, if books are your thing, Growing Gourmet and Magical Mushrooms, and The Mushroom Cultivator, both by Paul Stamets, are considered to be some of the best reads to get you started on pretty much all the different varieties known to be cultivatable (spell check says that's a word, I'm not convinced).

EDIT: Oxford commas matter, mkay

beluga

beluga

Sporeworks has never done me wrong for spores.

And I've got a half-baked cubensis thread that I ghosted a couple years back that goes through the basics of a fairly minimal setup - beluga goes fungal: P. cubensis edition
I'll have to see that through now that the farm is amping up my fungiculturist to get up off his ass.

In regards to kits, I've never known them to have a high success rate. If you're just getting sterilized spawn bags, that's a different story - in that case, you still want to work in the sterile conditions of at least still air and ideally laminar flow for inoculations. And, other than that, it's just tubs and hydrated coir 🤷
Making your own spawn substrate is pretty easy and crazy cost-effective though.

Stoked to have the myco community a'brewin'.

Madmax

Madmax

Late season this year, heading to the coast next weekend to do some pickin:)
Azzies everywhere the eye can see:)
Liberty caps poppin in farm fields!!!
Love fall!!

We call those jap hats here.my first ever trip was them.2 mates boiled up a couple ounce bag fulls while the rest of the crew were out picking more.all boiled up into 3 cups in a milo lol.one friend richard just dropped on the floor mumbling the other has picked up the wall ph and started asking rich what do you want me to do?...do you want me to ring for the meat wagon and get your guts pumped out. 😂😂😂..i was laughing my guts out.then it hit me..i was speechless for ages seeing shit move the longer you stared at it..ol rich was on the couch ,kept telling me to come over and talk to him.im like.. i got nothin to talk about rich 😆😆.blowing out hard.nxt minute the crew came back asking where the bag of mushies were.😆😆😆..yous had em all in 3 cups...you crazy bastards 😆.they asked me do you want another cup...haha...no way..never trust your mate with a bag of shrooms..

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
We call those jap hats here.my first ever trip was them.2 mates boiled up a couple ounce bag fulls while the rest of the crew were out picking more.all boiled up into 3 cups in a milo lol.one friend richard just dropped on the floor mumbling the other has picked up the wall ph and started asking rich what do you want me to do?...do you want me to ring for the meat wagon and get your guts pumped out. 😂😂😂..i was laughing my guts out.then it hit me..i was speechless for ages seeing shit move the longer you stared at it..ol rich was on the couch ,kept telling me to come over and talk to him.im like.. i got nothin to talk about rich 😆😆.blowing out hard.nxt minute the crew came back asking where the bag of mushies were.😆😆😆..yous had em all in 3 cups...you crazy bastards 😆.they asked me do you want another cup...haha...no way..never trust your mate with a bag of shrooms..
Lmfao!!!!!!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Picking liberty caps all day long.
Get back to my pad and make tea with 300.
Big fucking mistake!!
Fill up 3 thermoses head over to a buddy who’s not home yet.
Sitting on his back porch waiting patiently for him to get there.
Bored……..maybe a little sip!
Shit!!
Drank the hole fucking thermis:(

Hour later I’m hiding in the back seat of a 1975 Pontiac Catalina peaking out the back window scared shittless of all the goblins and witches running about with large bags of candy:)
Memories😉

Latest posts

Top Bottom