Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Well first try with grain jars a bust:(
All contaminated, I shall try again:)View attachment 1056183View attachment 1056184
This is the key to avoiding failure. I don't know how many thousands of (sterile) catheterized urine samples I've taken from uncooperative (resisting) confused old women over the years, but it must be hundreds or thousands. Prying those disgusting legs apart. (one reason among many, why I left my profession) Clean echnique/maintaining sterile fields are paramount to anything you do on this page, it's the key and the very reason why the pressure cooker is used.

And it takes practice, practice, practice and probably little failure, but learning from them. THINK! WERE DID YOU GO WRONG!~ ie. when did you "break" your sterile field, or perhaps you didn't cook long enough, as it takes some time for the core to reach optimum temp.

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Finally got it today!
2 year old seasoned horse shit:)

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Finally got it today!
2 year old seasoned horse shit:)
View attachment 1056415
totes are such good dirt containers, I need to get a truck load of dirt out of my rain forest floor out by my land. I'm so sick of paying $20 a bag for soil that substandard to what I have out there. Are you going to use that for growing mushrooms?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
That, and just kinda stay away from it unless you need to mess with the heat. Wear oven mitts and heavy long sleeve clothing near it. If you wanna get real safety conscious a face shield even. Some simple precautionary measures should protect you from the worst they would do.

Yea, I think the bigger concern with what your doing is not to get scalded. That can actually happen pretty easily, I suspect.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Oops pics

I don't think so, those are some of the ones I always see around here that appear close candidates, but not.

pic's of underneath side, and break some stem and show it also. what your looking for is any sign of grey/blue. That's the key sign. usually at the base of the stem, and the underside (or inside) of the caps.

I get so many mushroom on my land up in the Mountains, millions of them popping up everywhere, (chanterelles, lobster mushroom, Oysters, Black trumpet, puffballs, various caps) all kinds, I can dig in the ground and just see white myco everywhere, several feet into the ground in some spots, especially in places where the sun has difficulty penetrating along north facing ridge lines.

I really think if I spawned my woods, it would take over up there. Big 200 foot trees all around, pinching out almost all sunlight, water everywhere, temps in the 70's during the summer, it's almost a perfect environment for this sort of thing.

Capture
Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
totes are such good dirt containers, I need to get a truck load of dirt out of my rain forest floor out by my land. I'm so sick of paying $20 a bag for soil that substandard to what I have out there. Are you going to use that for growing mushrooms?
Yes, mushrooms is the name of the game in this thread:)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yea, I think the bigger concern with what your doing is not to get scalded. That can actually happen pretty easily, I suspect.

Not with my PPE! lol. I just might be that guy with a rainsuit and faceshield on when i approach it. Im naturally inclined to dress for the weather as it goes..
Seriously, im not worried about it in the least. The gasket and overpressure relief plug will be lubed and ill be wearing oven mitts near it. My mom used to pressure can a lot so i remember well the sound Im looking for.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I'm always on about cats and cultivation and lights just going hand in hand... er... paw in leaf in photon..?
Well, mushrooms are no different.
catspell.jpg

Performing some cat voodoo on some spores I had just dropped to agar.

Also, put up another little blurb over on the personal cubensis thread.
Hope to get that rolling soon.
Well if we are posting mushroom related cat photos now...
Untitled 1

She has been carrying that mushroom charm around her neck since she was a year old, nearly 14 years now.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
My painter coveralls turned out to be polyproylene and not tyvek. The air seemed to move through jt a little too easily imho.

I picked up a pair of dupont tyvek 400 boot covers at the hardware store for $2.

@1diesel1 the material you are using for your fae holes appears to be from a polypropylene suit, not tyvek.

Im not sure if it really matters, maybe @beluga can share some insight here.. But i will say the tyvek seems to pass almost no air when you blow on it. The poly painter suit is like blowing through a metal coffee filter.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
My painter coveralls turned out to be polyproylene and not tyvek. The air seemed to move through jt a little too easily imho.

I picked up a pair of dupont tyvek 400 boot covers at the hardware store for $2.

@1diesel1 the material you are using for your fae holes appears to be from a polypropylene suit, not tyvek.

Im not sure if it really matters, maybe @beluga can share some insight here.. But i will say the tyvek seems to pass almost no air when you blow on it. The poly painter suit is like blowing through a metal coffee filter.
Cut it rite out of tyvek suite, used the hood

beluga

beluga

Polypropylene or PPE is the tyvek of painter's suits. That's why I put it second in my list of acceptable filter materials. The deal with it is that it will withstand extreme temperatures, but, over time it loses its form. So it's kind of disposable.
I think the difference between painter's suit tyvek and kite tyvek is the weave and/or the fact that it's doubled up... I can't exactly recall. But, either way, kite tyvek will be effective even as it loses its original shape... to an extent.

A lot of the plastic lids used professionally are PP5... Basically the same shit as far as I know. They warp a bit, but I like their ease of handling and that they don't rust or have sharp edges when you modify them.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Interesting. My home hardware brand painter suit has a far looser weave and passes a lot more air than the dupont tyvek 400, even though both are polypropylene.

For culturing the spawn jars i think ill use the dupont one with the lesser airflow.

beluga

beluga

Interesting. My home hardware brand painter suit has a far looser weave and passes a lot more air than the dupont tyvek 400, even though both are polypropylene.

For culturing the spawn jars i think ill use the dupont one with the lesser airflow.
That sounds like the smart thing to do. Might be that all of ours are dupont or 3M. If the US does one thing right, it's plastics... until we're done with them.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That sounds like the smart thing to do. Might be that all of ours are dupont or 3M. If the US does one thing right, it's plastics... until we're done with them.

In my experience with this kinda thing, going with a trusted name brand over a noname is usually the way to go. Not always, but I trust that dupont has strict quality control.

Im overthinking the living snot out of this but i really want to give myself the best chance of success. I figure a couple weeks of reading and a couple dry runs working in the SAB... cross my fingers tight...

I think I realized today the reason i decided to get into this when my wife mentioned an interest in it, and its because ive put in notice to quit my job at the golf club, and my supply chain has been disrupted lol.

beluga

beluga

I get that overthinking. It's only good up to a point then you just have to hash it out with your hands.
I'm inching my way to getting some tutorials together... tried to just paint my livingroom and that turned into scraping off 80 year old paint, repairing cracks in plaster, and throwing joint compound all over the fuckin' place.
Love this old house, but god damn.

Top Bottom