Music ?

• Thread starter joehank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
joehank

joehank

Don't know if this is an advanced technique or not, but how many farmers are playing music in your rooms? Do you think it's making a difference? I would have to vote in favor of it. People are organic creatures and we enjoy music, so it stands to reason that plants do also.
So what music are y'all playing? I think when I get 2 separate rooms going I will test what the plants like. Something with more higher frequencies like rock, or some miami bass type stuff.
You never know...

AustinHaze

AustinHaze

The answer is simply. Vibration opens stomatas. We know sound is vibration so I assume heavier bass frequency would be better. I always bump techno on my 4k ebb/flow. Both plants and I love it. I only do it with lights on obiously because stomatas will close during dark photoperiod/sleeping time.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I seen an episode of Mythbusters where they tested this myth with an experiment of rooms with no music, rock, classical, and some other music. They concluded that plants exposed to music grew the most vigorous and healthy, I think rock was the best.

O

Organicyumyum

i like my plants to smell funky so I play them a little Parliament and they come out smelling like that stanky poo

squiggly

squiggly

The answer is simply. Vibration opens stomatas. We know sound is vibration so I assume heavier bass frequency would be better. I always bump techno on my 4k ebb/flow. Both plants and I love it. I only do it with lights on obiously because stomatas will close during dark photoperiod/sleeping time.

The frequency preferred has been demonstrated to be plant-specific. However, there have been general applications found for "most" plants which exist in both low and high frequency ranges. In reality--while we know that it might be possible to control plants in this way, our level of understanding is not such that we can predict what exactly the effects will be (or what we are doing).

Biological processes are very complex, and it's usually the case that an organism doesn't like one thing all the time (exception being unicellular organisms).

Most multicellular organisms benefit from a changing of states. While there are certain basal metabolic requirements--there are also ideal times to be in certain states. A perfect example of such an application to humans are the "ice gloves" athletes are now using (I believe created at Stanford) which can help athletes recuperate more quickly from a workout. Our ability to manipulate the athletes metabolism in this way comes from a very specific understanding of our anatomy and biochemistry.

We, unfortunately, do not even come close to understanding cannabis as well. While it might be possible to improve yields when adding sound--it's almost impossible to know what the hell you're doing to get that increase by adding it.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

. While it might be possible to improve yields when adding sound--it's almost impossible to know what the hell you're doing to get that increase by adding it.

I'm cool with that!!!!.....lol.....

fur shure!

B

betman123

I have read in this book "Growing Elite Marijuana" that classical music works better for cannabis. I added this classical music into the grow room and they look healthy and vigorous.

K

kolah

I read a few books on the topic many years ago..for what it was worth. They mostly stated Baroque and Classical music was best and that rock style music was not beneficial. Much of their logic was based on beats per minute. I found it interesting to read that not only did plants enjoy classical stuff but they stated the plants actually grew and reached around the speakers. And for other music (rock) they grew away from the speakers. I talk and sing around them and often play a NA flute and my flat-top guitar in the greenhouse. On a side note, in my college pre-med days I stumbled onto a book called Super-Learning a Russian technique for advanced and simpler ways to learn. You play classical music as you study which flips on different brain patterns which further aids in increasing your learning and memory skills. I disliked classical music at the time but I did in anyways and kept the music on a very low volume just to give it a whirl. It wasn't long before I'd be walking around whistling these classical songs that at one time I couldn't stand...and my retention process and grades actually got better. Now I am a big fan of classical stuff. Plants dig it too.

snippet: "It may surprise you to learn plants respond very well to music based on many scientific lab studies. For many years the practice was to talk to plants. That's because plants have a way of hearing. The human voice helped them to grow more and stay healthier. However, as time passed these studies later found plants responded better to music than to a person's tone of voice. Now the question remains what type of music is effective for indoor plants or flowers, plants, and trees that are situated in a garden? As stated earlier many scientific studies are in agreement that rock music has detrimental effects on plant growth.
One such study from the 1970's at the Colorado Women's College (now acquired by the University of Denver) played rock music to one group of plants and soothing classical music to another group. Unfortunately the plants with the rock music were very sickly whereas the classical music plants were healthier, larger than before and growing towards the radio where the music came from. The book The Secret Life of Plants devotes a lot of information on the exposure of various kinds of music on household plants. You may have noticed classical music playing at garden centers and professional greenhouses to help stimulate their plant's growth. Now that classical music is the prime choice for plants and gardens what types of classical music is the most effective.
Classical music ranges from operas and symphonies to concertos and chamber music. Based on findings from a Weber State University master thesis an experiment was conducted on plants and different types of music. Each was placed in six chambers. The plants that received specific classical music from the Baroque period with adagio tempos, music that is played slowly, preferred this overwhelmingly by wrapping their branches around the music speakers. Indian Sitar music also had the same exact effect too. With that in mind its obvious classical music is the choice of music for plants and gardens. Also, adagio movements of baroque music and Indian Sitar are the very best of these music genres. Here now are ten songs, or classical music and Indian Sitar musical works that are recommended for your plants and gardens to thrive like never before."

Ten best songs for plants I am surprised Moonlite Sonata and Pachabel's Canon isn't on this list:
http://voices.yahoo.com/top-10-songs-plants-gardens-thrive-on-5678696.html

K

kolah

Classical music is different for sure. I think when first exposed to it people need to readjust their ears and tune in to its differences. Much like tasting a new food flavor. The same goes for listening (or playing) a Native American flute. The benefits are awesome for those who find it interesting.

K

kolah

Almost everyone has heard Beethovens Fur Elise. It's a bit funny as I now listen to many classical songs and noticed that often they were used in many of the Looney Tunes cartoons...and Charlie Brown as well.

squiggly

squiggly

On a side note, in my college pre-med days I stumbled onto a book called Super-Learning a Russian technique for advanced and simpler ways to learn. You play classical music as you study which flips on different brain patterns which further aids in increasing your learning and memory skills. I disliked classical music at the time but I did in anyways and kept the music on a very low volume just to give it a whirl. It wasn't long before I'd be walking around whistling these classical songs that at one time I couldn't stand...and my retention process and grades actually got better. Now I am a big fan of classical stuff. Plants dig it too.

As a classical musician I've found this to help as well--most of my compatriots from orchestra are very capable math/science people--some studies have suggested a better understanding of math comes through understanding, or attention given to, subdivision (back to you bpm thing).

My mother is a high school calc teacher and for years has played classical music during exams and work periods.

I don't think there is any "best" music to play, to be honest. Scientifically speaking, what we should be looking for are particular frequencies at which we may observe desired responses. According to what research I've found, there are sounds in both very high and very low frequencies which cause stomata to open. There are any number of patents for devices with this intended purpose. Furthermore, I believe I recently saw some research discussing "root sounds" and how plants may "talk" to one another through their root systems.

silverhaze

silverhaze

I always play Classical music for the girls. For me, it helps provide a soothing environment in the room which I think can be beneficial for me, and my plants. Bumping Rap or Rock could work equally as well or better. I think what Squiggly says about plants responding to particular frequencies is absolutely correct. Which ones work the best is a tough one. To test this, wouldn't you need to play the same song over and over and over again and then on another plant, play a different song over and over and over again for a degree of consistency? If you just play the radio with voices and constantly changing songs, how would you ever be able to tell what works best? Could be an interesting test, I want to try it.

squiggly

squiggly

I always play Classical music for the girls. For me, it helps provide a soothing environment in the room which I think can be beneficial for me, and my plants. Bumping Rap or Rock could work equally as well or better. I think what Squiggly says about plants responding to particular frequencies is absolutely correct. Which ones work the best is a tough one. To test this, wouldn't you need to play the same song over and over and over again and then on another plant, play a different song over and over and over again for a degree of consistency? If you just play the radio with voices and constantly changing songs, how would you ever be able to tell what works best? Could be an interesting test, I want to try it.

You wouldn't play songs at all. You'd get a wave function generator and play a specific frequency and observe the effect.

silverhaze

silverhaze

You wouldn't play songs at all. You'd get a wave function generator and play a specific frequency and observe the effect.

Interesting. Even though less accurate, wouldn't my informal test work in the same way? If you didn't have a wave function generator I mean?

squiggly

squiggly

Interesting. Even though less accurate, wouldn't my informal test work in the same way? If you didn't have a wave function generator I mean?

Not scientifically, no. Not easily at least--maybe with a super computer.

The idea in science is to FIX as many variables as possible when you're trying to see how something else varies (plant growth in this case).

By using a crazy large amount and range of frequencies (i.e. a song) you'd be turning one of your variables into a complex calculus equation just by itself.

C

cctt

What frequencies have been found to have this stomata-opening effect?

Latest posts

Top Bottom