Muslim separatist rebel group in Philippines growing marijuana to sustain operations

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has ventured into the illegal drug trade to sustain its operations, Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) chair Vicente “Tito” Sotto III said yesterday.

Citing intelligence information, Sotto said members of the rebel group are protecting marijuana plantations in Lanao and Bukidnon provinces.

“This is what we call narco-terrorism, where Moro rebels engage in illegal drug trade to fund their operations. This poses big danger especially to younger generations,” he explained.

The DDB chief said he learned that the marijuana plants are concealed at cassava plantations in the two provinces.

Sotto vowed to act swiftly on the matter in coordination with the military and the police.

The official said there is a pressing need to address the illegal drug problem in Mindanao.

Last Friday, he led the groundbreaking for a P15-million drug rehabilitation and treatment center in Iligan City as part of the celebration of Dangerous Drugs Prevention and Awareness month last month.

The center, which will rise on a two-hectare land in Barangay Abuno, will cater not only to Iligan drug dependents but to those from neighboring provinces as well.

Lanao del Norte-Iligan Rep. Vicente Belmonte Jr. has committed part of his Priority Development Assistance Funds for the project.

In a brief speech, Sotto encouraged the city to organize anti-drug councils, from the barangay to the city level.

The event also included a ceremonial torching of shabu and marijuana seized in past raids in Iligan and neighboring towns.

Source:

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Ok, well primarily I cannot take any organization named MILF seriously. I mean come on, MILF? If we are going to make up names for people can we a bit more creative than MILF?

Secondly, this really sounds like a load of BS to me. I swear I have heard all of this before. Oh wait the US government has done and said all of this before. And some of the biggest drug smugglers ever work for the US government (ehem...ehem...Oli North). So I wonder what really is going on here.

S

Sativaindica

^ I agree entirely, MILF? I wonder if they know what that means.

I dont find it too unplausible that these groups are growing weed. Id weed is a major commodity before the rebels came to power, then it would only seem natural for them to maintain such a lucrative industry, ala FARC in Colombia.

Every rebel army must 1st and foremost have the support of the peoples behind them, thus is the majority of poeple in this area make money from weed, it would be foolish for MILF...hehehe milf, but it would be foolish for them to destroy these peoples business and eventually their lives too.

Altho, like you said SG, its could also be another ploy to extend the war on drugs, in this case its DOUBLE drugs and terrorism....shit we better send out the troops NOW

H

herby

I was looking to move to that area too. Bukidnon has some cheap properties but i was warned by some others to stay away because of the milf.. When they first said milf I was like huh? Thats exactly where I want to be but then they told me what milf was.. LOL.

Anyway, there's like 7000 islands in the Philippines so plenty of places to get lost and do a little growing.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

^ I agree entirely, MILF? I wonder if they know what that means.

I dont find it too unplausible that these groups are growing weed. Id weed is a major commodity before the rebels came to power, then it would only seem natural for them to maintain such a lucrative industry, ala FARC in Colombia.

Every rebel army must 1st and foremost have the support of the peoples behind them, thus is the majority of poeple in this area make money from weed, it would be foolish for MILF...hehehe milf, but it would be foolish for them to destroy these peoples business and eventually their lives too.

Altho, like you said SG, its could also be another ploy to extend the war on drugs, in this case its DOUBLE drugs and terrorism....shit we better send out the troops NOW

I do not doubt MILF (that is really funny to say when talking seriously) is growing weed. Its just the attitude that the government is taking on the issue. It has probably been happening there for decades already. So why say something about it now? Its all about politics.

Look at it this way. During the Iran Contra our government used the drug growing Contras to eradicate their immediate enemies from the place. In return for the favor the Contras were allowed to bring their drugs in to the country freely; Oliver North brought it over and he was working for George Bush Sr. and the rest of that clan. Those were the exact same clan of people who started the "war on drugs". The "war of drugs" is really just a cover up for the US government to take over the drug trade (I am sure that this sounds like a conspiracy theory, and to some extent it is, but when examined almost all drug epidemics in the USA can be traced right back to the CIA).

So I see this happening here now. The only thing I can take from this is that the Philippines government is trying to something similar, or they are working with the US government and the US is pushing for this eradication.

B

bonbonbondia

The "war of drugs" is really just a cover up for the US government to take over the drug trade (I am sure that this sounds like a conspiracy theory, and to some extent it is, but when examined almost all drug epidemics in the USA can be traced right back to the CIA).

True, but you must also not forget the other "possible" motive. The war on drugs is the greatest excuse used to increase the police state. One could very well argue that the US government taking over the drug trade is less about money and more about power and control of the populace.

S

Sativaindica

With out a doubt this recent article relating terrorist and drugs is just another conditioning tool. The war on drugs is an utter shame that was created after the cold war to further on the war spirit and we all know how all having the same enemy goes for the old public support. Its no1 priority, IMO, was to continue on spending mass amounts of money on private industries, instead of puting it towards social institutions.

Its always gonna be about money, however I can see where your coming from bonbon. If you consider Afghanistan, in which the inetention was to secure a pipeline. However, soon enough the taliban started becoming big news witth their herion sales. Even tho they may not be profiteering from it directly, they still gain much power and control via the worlds view towards them. As long as the west views a country as 'dangerous' america can do what ever the fuck it likes with it.

I dont think there is any conspiricy in the government selling drugs, that shit is FACT. whether or not this is the case here will not doubt be determined in time

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

True, but you must also not forget the other "possible" motive. The war on drugs is the greatest excuse used to increase the police state. One could very well argue that the US government taking over the drug trade is less about money and more about power and control of the populace.

Of course it is all about power and control. Look at the drugs the US government controls, heroin and cocaine are the big ones, and technically they are also responsible for crack, and I also think they introduced meth to the public. All easy ways to control the populace. But the thing is, money and power are one in the same for many people.

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

I hope their government does something soon about this MILF group, just a bunch of copy cat idiots who don't cherish life. I'd like to visit the Philippines again (I have family in Samar) and don't want to have to worry about radical Islamic organizations in a country where a majority of the population is christian.

Top Bottom