Must be doing something wong getting seeds started

• Thread starter Taurid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Taurid

Taurid

I get so many seeds that don't pop. Using water at around 6.1, drop them in glass of H2O, wait until they sink, then put in wet paper towel. That's when they don't change. Usually wait until a root pops out, but that only happens about 50% of the time. Have jus put a few unpopped seeds into wet pods to see what happens. ANy suggestions?

Akabudz

Akabudz

Hi, the way i do it is on a wet paper towel, 90% pop, wet paper towel on a small plate, add seeds, another wet paper towel on top of that, and another plate on top of first plate, I use a heater tray also,
Hope that helps, just check daily to make sure paper towel does not dry out.

Madbud

Madbud

I get so many seeds that don't pop. Using water at around 6.1, drop them in glass of H2O, wait until they sink, then put in wet paper towel. That's when they don't change. Usually wait until a root pops out, but that only happens about 50% of the time. Have jus put a few unpopped seeds into wet pods to see what happens. ANy suggestions?
They like a little warmth. I go straight to soil. Half a solo cup of soil( happy frog is my choice), splash of water, seed close to an inch deep and cover airtight in a sunny window or other warm spot. Takes 2-3 days. If it stretches, top with more soil.

chemistry

chemistry

Last year I started using Root Riot cubes for my seeds and cuttings, love them for seeds.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Madbud Brought up a very key point.... Warmth.

What I do is soak them for 16-18hrs pop or not in DISTILLED WATER. Then take 4paper towels/coffee filters (easier to keep damp with more than 1, and 2 dinner plates.

Place the paper towel on one plate and wet with TAP WATER then open the paper towel so 2 sheets on the bottom and the other 2 folder open. Tilt the plate so any pooling water runs off. You should never see water just damp paper towel. Then place the seeds on the paper tower and fold over the seeds gently pat it down so you don't have air pockets. Place the other plate face to face over the first plate so they kinda seal.

Now I don't have a heating mat but this works almost perfectly. Take a hand towel and fold in half. Place it on a cable box for the TV. Place the 2 plates on top of that. Should have 90-100% germ rates within 3 days if all seeds are viable.

Once the tap root is 1/2-3/4" long plant tap root down in media of choice. I use peat pellets but last time did soil. Place them 1/2-3/4 deep in media (the seed itself at that depth the tap root will be further)

I can assure you your germ rates will improve.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I put them in water 24h then get them in a soaked Jiffy Pellet down about a fingernail's length (between fingernail and knuckle for me). Put that under my light at half power. I am 6 for 6 with this method so far with seeds from ILGM. My water is roughly 6.8 ph and 120ppm fwiw.

Taurid

Taurid

I put them in water 24h then get them in a soaked Jiffy Pellet down about a fingernail's length (between fingernail and knuckle for me). Put that under my light at half power. I am 6 for 6 with this method so far with seeds from ILGM. My water is roughly 6.8 ph and 120ppm fwiw.

Much gratitude Milson

Top Bottom