Must read for anyone with Gavita LED

• Thread starter Zekethefreak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sshz

sshz

The manual does say these controllers are supposed to work with all “e” series lights, including our led’s. Can’t help but wonder if it’s one of the adapters, and not the controller, that is causing your issues. Don’t know for sure, just guessing?

sshz

sshz

Anthem knows way more about these than I do, he is my go to for this shit........

Zekethefreak

Zekethefreak

No, I own them but never hooked them up as I didn’t see much of an advantage. I’m more of a hands on guy, and since retired I’m home most of the time to turn off/on things and monitor the room, heat and Led’s.

I’ve asked my buddy at Gavita, let’s see what he comes back with.........

Lastly, I’m wondering if you have a faulty Master Controller, only because I haven’t heard about the issue before this. But I don’t go searching stuff out like others either......... if you want I can send you my brand new never used controller, and you can test that one too.

That’s really kind - thank you :-).

I’m in the UK so would be tricky + it’s the same with TrolMaster so unlikely. I do have a buddy with another controller I’ll borrow just to check.

All this being said I’ve had by far my best results from these leds so I’m looking forward to the boost in yield I get when I throw the controller in the bin!

Zekethefreak

Zekethefreak

The manual does say these controllers are supposed to work with all “e” series lights, including our led’s. Can’t help but wonder if it’s one of the adapters, and not the controller, that is causing your issues. Don’t know for sure, just guessing?

Yes I’m thinking must be the adapter. I have two and will double check tomorrow to see if both adapters reduce light output. I’m pretty sure they do and I checked it though!

sshz

sshz

Other things you should check are:

1. Make sure you're are not using an extension chord.

2. The circuit you are drawing on (other things usingthat circuit breaker) is not drawing heavily too from other lights, pumps, fans, etc.

3. Everything is wired properly, and no loose connections or bad wires.

Anthem

Anthem

Yes I’m thinking must be the adapter. I have two and will double check tomorrow to see if both adapters reduce light output. I’m pretty sure they do and I checked it though!
Have you tried plug one directly into the wall and the other using the Trolmaster with the LMA-14?
I did get an email back in like 30 minutes from my contact at Trolmaster and he said with the Gavita controller at 115 percent they should be the same output as directly from the wall. Also one more stupid question, does the gavita controller ask you if the light is LED or HPS?
I know the trolmaster does but I have always assumed that was to avoid hot starts and jacking up the bulb.

Zekethefreak

Zekethefreak

An update.

Checked and double checked all connections today also checked both Gavita LED adapters and still have the same issue.

There are now 3 people affected by this and I haven’t manage to find anyone not affected. So please if at all possible let please check to see if the light output of your Gavita LED lights is less when plugged in to a controller.

I can confirm the TrolMaster controller works exactly as the Gavita controller and no fault lies with Trol on this issue.

My LED adapters are now a year old so it would be great to here from someone who has bought one more recently as hopefully Gavita have updated the units or adapters to rectify.

Regards,

sshz

sshz

I heard back from Gavita and they told me to check to make sure I don’t have them dimmed thru the Master Controller......lol

i have no light meter so theres no way, other than visually, to check to see if I would have the same issue.

Zekethefreak

Zekethefreak

I heard back from Gavita and they told me to check to make sure I don’t have them dimmed thru the Master Controller......lol

i have no light meter so theres no way, other than visually, to check to see if I would have the same issue.

Thanks that sounds similar to the response I got from Gavita, and yeah it would be very hard / almost impossible to tell without a light meter. I only noticed the issue when taking readings with the light meter and noticed the readings had gone up from usual. (I’d taken the controller out at the point). We can’t see the 10% but the plants sure can!

Zekethefreak

Zekethefreak

Just a thought to anyone that is running with a controller but doesn’t have access to a light meter you can get light meter apps for your phone that might work well enough to test it. I’ll see tomorrow if I can get a free app that shows the issue.

Sshz - I don’t expect you to go to go through the hassle especially as your not even running with a controller but again thanks for your help it’s appreciated.

Anthem

Anthem

This is the last straw for me with Gavita. They do produce a great light, but the shit they pull behind the sense is just not cool. It is going to be just Fluence moving forward.

Anthem

Anthem

That is about par for the course when it comes to customer service from Gavita, but they actually got back to you much quicker than the usually few days.

sshz

sshz

I can understand people’s attitude regarding Gavita’s Master Controller and adapters- if I had paid cold hard cash for mine, I would be pissed off too. It’s even more frustrating that Gavita has no clue about the problem or how to fix it. BUT, results are everything and I’ve shown everyone the kind of results you can get if you K.I.S.S...........I don’t even use timers in my room. The LED’s are very good, and well made- very solid considering I’ve bumped my head a few hundred times on them and they don’t seem to mind.

Also consider the abundance of diodes, over 3300 of them and they are not pushed as hard as most of the other manufacturers, so they last longer. Add I’ve seen the price come down a bit, the excellent light spread in a 4 x 4 area, the waterproofing and heat dispersement- these remain a solid buy. Maybe not the best anymore, but certainly still top shelf.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

That is about par for the course when it comes to customer service from Gavita, but they actually got back to you much quicker than the usually few days.

Well, they know who I am and I have a dedicated contact who does respond quickly. I’ve been told they review my Gavita threads and I’ve forwarded links in the past. For all the business I’ve brought them, that’s the least they could do.

GetRektInc

GetRektInc

Well, they know who I am and I have a dedicated contact who does respond quickly. I’ve been told they review my Gavita threads and I’ve forwarded links in the past. For all the business I’ve brought them, that’s the least they could do.
No problems with 1700e and this here.

20210215 205018
GetRektInc

GetRektInc

Thanks for coming back. That’s good to know it’s not everyone. Did you check with a light meter?
That is one thing I need but I had it first plugged direct to timer before I got the EL2 gen2 so it is same strength no loss when using the controller and led adapter switching from plugged direct. It would be noticeable but it definitely is not 10 percent dimmer.

fo0

fo0

Could it be that they use 3 drivers but 2 different voltage/watts connected together?

Top Bottom