Musty Taste Smell...

• Thread starter Nugg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nugg

Nugg

Just seeing if someone has the answer to what went wrong... purpose built grow shed/ house? Either way..have been growing same seeds for few yrs,same lights,same rooms,only things I added was a dehumidifier... ventilation system didn't seem to keep up well enough,,so I added it to the room that was at flower stage...buds ended up smelling musty and have a musty taste...no mold...rh in that room stayed at 45-50% during flower, temps 85-95°f..( led lights).... Can it be the dehumidifier? ,Winter here rh is supper low,so low humidity can't be it..I've been way lower..idk.lost..

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Some strains stink like that. If the plants are still growing with no problems, then it might be the plants. I had a Black Diesel that gagged you with it's smell. Are these the same seeds that you have used or from the same company?
Your temps are pretty high...if you are seeing 55% Rh during lights on, it will get even higher when the lights go off, most likely. Dehumidifiers can harbor a lot of mold and stuff...was this a new dehumidifier? It's a strange issue. Does your dirt smell moldy? I wouldn't expect mold, especially if you keep the temps high and the Rh 50 or lower.

Nugg

Nugg

Some strains stink like that. If the plants are still growing with no problems, then it might be the plants. I had a Black Diesel that gagged you with it's smell. Are these the same seeds that you have used or from the same company?
Your temps are pretty high...if you are seeing 55% Rh during lights on, it will get even higher when the lights go off, most likely. Dehumidifiers can harbor a lot of mold and stuff...was this a new dehumidifier? It's a strange issue. Does your dirt smell moldy? I wouldn't expect mold, especially if you keep the temps high and the Rh 50 or lower.
Same seeds..if have 100s.that I made with the silver spray couple yrs ago...I grow dwc.temps are high do to the led lights...they don't make plants transpire like hps,ect.makeing them drink,I ran less ppm..same mix just lower... dehumidifier is new..Buds are like rocks.....I cut a few branches tore down the buds and found nothing bad..the plants normally have a slight foot odor smell that is sweat..if that makes sense...in a good way.lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I opened a jar of Black Diesel and it had a pungent smell, in some ways you could say musty or thick, but not moldy musty...it really does have an almost diesel/kerosene smell, which is a little musty. Maybe that's all it is if everything is doing well and there is no sign of mold or mildew. hmmmmmm

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I notice my dehumidifier has that affect also even after cleaning. I use it as little as possible.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I notice my dehumidifier has that affect also even after cleaning. I use it as little as possible.
My Air conditioner gets the same smell at times, so it could be related to that. My problem is too low of humidity. During the summer, the AC keeps it pretty low, and in the winter, if I can get 20% I'm living large. A dehumidifier is usually always wet/damp, so it is a prime breeding ground for mold/mildew, I guess. Since it is the same seeds, same setup, same strain, then about the only thing left is the dehumidifier.

Nugg

Nugg

I'm going to agree...I'm just going to bump up my ventilation to at least 1500 cfm...I was pulling 850,but wasn't enough for 3 rooms..2 was pushing my luck....6×8×9 rooms,4 plants each.the dehumidifier is the only thing different..that's was a waist of 150$.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I'm going to agree...I'm just going to bump up my ventilation to at least 1500 cfm...I was pulling 850,but wasn't enough for 3 rooms..2 was pushing my luck....6×8×9 rooms,4 plants each.the dehumidifier is the only thing different..that's was a waist of 150$.

Howdy Nugg! I've been off line for awhile.... did you get your ventilation issue resolved and are you 02g's still pumping? ...

Nugg

Nugg

Howdy Nugg! I've been off line for awhile.... did you get your ventilation issue resolved and are you 02g's still pumping? ...
Yep.sure did...out dehumidifier in my crawl space..and went with 6" exhaust fans for each room...they have a vacuum on them now..so..same room same everything,minus dehumidifier and bigger exhaust fan..new grow seems great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom