Mutant clone? Or terrible disease?

• Thread starter juliando
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

juliando

I have a small tent setup, enough for 2 adult plants at a time. I don't really know what I'm doing - just lots of experiments.

I tried a variety of different store bought seeds and eventually found a strain that I really liked, so I started cloning it. But with only one light cycle to work with - the clones would just have to live with whatever the adults were doing at the time. Sometimes they'd flower right away at less than a foot tall.
My donor plant right now is one that flowered at like 8" and then went back into veg.

It's flowering again right now (at almost a year old) and has started doing something very strange, at least compared to all the previous generations.

I have been amazed by how different the flowers can be on clones from the same plant - but this is really weird.
Is this some kind of fungus or something? Doesn't appear to be any kind of bug. Or is it some kind of mutant? What's this thing doin?

Mutant clone or terrible disease
Mutant clone or terrible disease 2
Mutant clone or terrible disease 3

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Hmm this one has me lol, can you get any clearer shots of it, and do you have a jewelers loop or a microscope or just a good phone camera you can get a clear close shot with?

@GNick55 any ideas?

J

juliando

Hmm this one has me lol, can you get any clearer shots of it, and do you have a jewelers loop or a microscope or just a good phone camera you can get a clear close shot with?

@GNick55 any ideas?
I don't have a magnifying glass or anything, I tried to get a better picture with the flash on.
20230517 212839

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Yeh if its not that its some crazy genetics looks awesome i wounder How strong the top bud would be probley knockout strong

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I don't have a magnifying glass or anything, I tried to get a better picture with the flash on.View attachment 1982758
Light Bleaching makes sense, almost looks like clumps of white pistils but it may just be how the pic looks to me, *I’d kinda expect to see some leaf damage before bleaching got to that point*

Edit: found some pics that show very similar symptoms from light bleaching, most have leaf damage as well but these in particular look very similar to yours

D39B78BD 0A18 4171 94F2 10AD97EEC504
Bushbandit

Bushbandit

Light Bleaching makes sense, almost looks like clumps of white pistils but it may just be how the pic looks to me, I’d kinda expect to see some leaf damage before bleaching got to that point
Was about to add the same,I would expected leaf damage as well

J

juliando

Well, thanks for all the responses. It does seem like light bleaching is the answer (i was hoping for something more interesting lol). I'll try to raise the light a few more inches and keep this plant going.

I wouldn't mind if it were a little less potent, that's actually why I picked this strain to begin with - and I usually harvest a bit early. I like a milder bud. I have a few more weeks before harvest, I'll be sure to post some pics of the final product.

Thanks again

J

juliando

Light stress causing her to foxtail. Can you gently bend her down at all or is she too stiff,?
I've got no extra room in there right now. I had to wait to cut the lights to 12/12 because my girlfriend had her garden seedlings starting in the tent. So my plants got a little taller than I would normally let them. I would usually cut the light when they're at 50% of the usable space. I have 2 adults using every inch of space in 2×2×4 tent.

Maybe time for a bigger tent? 🤔

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Before bleaching was mentioned, I was thinking of an unusual type of senescence. The plant is quite old.

I've read that bleached buds aren't very potent. If they were, they'd be for sale.
I do understand that too much light will bleach and degrade thc.Tho i have noticed that most top buds close to the light / colas are allways stronger thn the bottoms and bottoms tend to taste better i allways had the thought of max lumens on the Plant creates max levels of thc before degrading to more cbd after all sum of the strongest strains in the world come from hot climates like Afghanistan

Last edited:
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

So more light = stronger cannabis less light more tasty cannabis i have noticed over years as top flowers would allways be stronger but have less taste then smaller none mature flowers because thc hasn't degraded to cbd on the bottom less mature flowers

J

juliando

The nug on the right is all that came from this plants first flowering - literally just a 8" stem with a nugget on top. I left it for about 6 weeks longer than the nug on the left - but they are both clones from the same parent. Quite a difference on strength - similar flavor.

20230202 171215

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

if you Dont understand i get it what im trying to say is flowers with more light \tops are stronger and have a more sadative high then lower flowers

Top Bottom