my 1st outdoor grow

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I have 12 containers, 4x4 and 2 feet deep in my 58 by 33 foot garden. the clones are about 3.5' tall, and will come in 2 weeks. I will use 50% aged horse compost with 50% "chets mix" ... and i plan on watering every 4 days, 20 gallons per plant. i will add a half cup molasses per plant every other water. should i use a weak solution of miracle gro on the non-molasses cycles? i will use white sugar instead of molasses in Sept. I want to grow some trees... please offer hints, tips, and what not -- thanks in advance! btw chets mix is a light and airy mix that drains well but holds moisture, very friendly to roots.

jaredman

jaredman

if you are in southern oregon you will need to water much more frequently than that. Also you should use a good fert to maximize your plants. Age old is really good and cheap. I usually water like ten gallons a day for a size of plant you are talking about. Also i wouldn't use sugar. Are you on a budget or can you throw some money into your plants?

tj Wise

tj Wise

I'm on a bit of a budget. I have 12 plants, each with 16 cubic feet of soil to prep... so the scale of what I need seems large, at least to me. Today I got two trailers of aged compost, no charge! I'm whipped from shoveling, but really jazzed. If I go with 67% compost and 33% of the light/draining mix... should that reduce most of my need to augment with nutes?

tj Wise

tj Wise

I am looking at AGE OLD, I assume the "grow formula" and I see I have three stores that sell it... but they tend to be pretty pricey. The first store does not list AGE OLD at all... hmm.... but I see a 3-pack on AMAZON of 1-GAL each of Floragrow , Floramicro, and Flora Bloom - from (General Hydroponics) delivered for 99$. But... I'm winging it here.

tj Wise

tj Wise

BTW, Miracle-Gro is Scotts, not Monsanto. The upside there is I already understand how much I need and I have some idea about how to apply it. It is cheap enough, but I'd love to find something better as long as I don't break the bank. I see a lot of advice for indoor growers, but that just confuses me. Thanks everyone.

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

They look "less perkey" before they wilt. But, they will change how they are holding their leaves depending on the heat of the day and a number of things sometimes, so pay attention to em, love em, and GENTLY use the tips of your fingersto feel it. Remember that there are lots of little feeder roots all over the surface, so be gentle. Outside plants in nice wide plots like you got will be slightly different than container or indoor girls. Sound like you got it down good to me, so I only had a little to offer ya. Experience will come faster if your patient.
Rock it out, these guys can help ya keep your nutes simple for now.
It can be quite an art if you want to get into it. But it doesn't have to be.
The more you get pruning and training down, tje bigger yeilds you'll get with that type of setup.
Witch is bomb for rockin it out.
;)

tj Wise

tj Wise

I just love the thought that experience comes faster with patience: it sounds odd... but its so right. Thanks Doc!

jaredman

jaredman

are you in southern oregon? there are like a hundred grow shops here that sell age old organics. i would not use quite so much compost as you are saying. I used basically the same thing as you are saying the first year i grew outdoor and although it was not a catastrophe it could have been better. I would add some pumice to that mix and some peat and coco. Also get a bag of glacial rock dust and some rock phos and crab meal. worm casting tea with kelp and fish emulsion is pretty cheap alternative to ferts but only through veg. age old makes bloom too though.

tj Wise

tj Wise

i am growing 12 plants in about 10 yards of soil. most of the info i find is for indoor, or geurila outdoor, which does not apply to me. So the amounts of the amendments etc baffle me so far. I am in Medford... which shops have the better prices? THANKS!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't tell you which shops have better prices in your area. I can reaffirm the notion to stay away from the blue stuff, I don't care WHAT brand it is. I would try setting up a drip system if you can swing it at all, it will allow you to use a lot less water while keeping soil moist through the days, weeks and months, rather than allowing the volume to dry out, which is stressful both for plants and for soil biology.

You can feed with pee, if you can provide enough pee. You can also go with soil amendments, your best bet would be to go through the Post Your Organic Soil Mix thread for recipes. You can also feed using fermented plant juices or extracts to a very large degree. If you want a one-part feed, then I would go with Fox Farms Big Bloom + soil amendments that would include stuff like kelp and various rock dusts to account for minerals, because it sounds like the mix you're going to use will have plenty of organic matter.

IIRC, the glacial rock dust takes 2-3yrs to become bio-available, should be treated like soft rock phosphate (SRT).

There is no reason NOT to use whatever sugar you can find or have on hand. I've experimented with many, many sugars, they all work. Some are better than others, in my opinion pretty much anything that's brown is going to have more nutrients available than white sugar. However, the goal is to grow bacteria with it, not provide nutrients, so use the white stuff, just go easy with it.

And, seriously, learn about fermented plant juices and extracts. ;)

jaredman

jaredman

go to rogue farmers in talent. best prices and they will prob hook you up with a discount on top. ask for drew and he will hook you up with a good program on a budget just tell him you are on a budget and what your setup is. he will hook you up for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom