my 1st outdoor grow

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

Seamaiden, thank you for all the tips. Is bokashi good? I made about 20 gallons of stock bran, and I could ferment many gallons of the wet form. Otherwise I have dozensof five gallon buckets and grass, weeds, etc to fill them with. I will google.

tj Wise

tj Wise

wow, just a week to have fermented grass wine. Maybe four cups of wine per plant per week, twelve plants... just three gallons per week. So... my five gallons of molasses for 24$ will go a long way.... a good 12 gallons of wine, so, four weeks... six bucks a week... fifty cents per plant-week. I can double that amount and feel good about it. Cool!

tj Wise

tj Wise

MY NOTES:

4 five-gallon buckets (1$ each from doughnut shops, etc)
1 five-gallon molasses (24$)

Add 2.33 gallons water to bucket #1 -- approximate
Add 1.67 gallons molasses, stir well -- approximate
Hard-pack bucket #2 half-full with grass and weeds
Pour fluids into bucket #2.
Cover with cloth, tie with string.
There must be a couple inches of air at the top.

Repeat for buckets 3 and 4.

Store in cool dark place for 9 days -- approximate
Stir well; filter out the solids from the “wine” (solids are good for compost pile).
Store wine with a loose cap for some airflow.

12 gallons wine for 24$.

Dilute 1 cup wine into 1 gallon. (1:15) -- approximate
Water with diluted wine once a week -- approximate

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Seamaiden, thank you for all the tips. Is bokashi good? I made about 20 gallons of stock bran, and I could ferment many gallons of the wet form. Otherwise I have dozensof five gallon buckets and grass, weeds, etc to fill them with. I will google.
I think bokashi is what @Garden of Dreams is using..
I gotta get me some of that and try it.

tj Wise

tj Wise

i did a batch of bokashi from scratch. One you have your "elixer" you can make as much as you want for the price of the milk and a bit of molasses. if my "grass wine" notes work, that is even cheaper and easier. But then, bokashi can compost hot manure in 2.5 weeks.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

This is something I have never tried before it sounds solid in theory to have some super nitros and aminos in it tho can you tell me where you got this idea/recipe from I have been brewing my own compost for years now with lots of different technique but this sounds a lot like the way I use my tea bags filled with rotten fruit worm castings and non composted leafy greens other than the tea bags (only buy once) and casting table (built from scrap wood and screen door) this process only cost me labor what is the need for the bokashi what are the strong attributes of using this instead of what I do?

tj Wise

tj Wise

it was a good summer, all 12 are thriving. I've run 3 levels of ropes with netting for support, as most are over 7 ft now. Buds are a bit thin as compared to some smaller, four footers, but I imagine they will fill out in a couple weeks. I still see big changes every couple days.

tj Wise

tj Wise

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Oh baby I wish I wasn't in the middle of town I miss my trees they are looking awesome bro your doing great for first time outdoor a quick suggestion for you if your interested when I had my trees like this I used cattle fence the 1/4 inch wire 4x4 inch holes and made a circle cage around them rite at this point and pulledeeverything down and through kinda like Scrog outside sideways lol Idk but it made for a much better grow and trellis than when I tied up like this not to say it's bad to do that just it worked out better with the cattle fence if your pockets are deep I would suggest making them square not round with two full size you can make a nice circle with four a perfect square as I said tho you are doing super

drewski85

drewski85

York doing great for your 1st run.the ladies look very happy.hope you end up with a bountiful harvest. good vibes+respect your way

tj Wise

tj Wise

The fence would be better, but my three layers of horizontal netting cost me just 70$. My girls' boxes sit up at ground level, so my "ground level" is about 20 inches higher than it otherwise would be -- so I would need 8 ft fencing, about 14' per plant, times 12 means 200 ft.

tj Wise

tj Wise

What do you think of my boxes? I took pallets and cut them in half. I bound 4 halves into a square and lined them with chicken wire. I had to water more often compared to other folks, but I never had any root rot, and I assume I got more air to the roots. I am wondering if I'm root bound. I've added chicken/horse compost on top twice, and I think the roots grew up into the new media. So they have about 20 inches of depth to go with about 38x38 inches square. next year I will start with better soil.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I think it is ingenious they work just like air pots you may be root bound a bit but it should not harm your plants just end the growth rate faster with looks like you may want being as they are peeking over the fence a bit will not harm your end result much tho. However like you said you will want to water and feed quite a bit more to compensate for the missing root space

tj Wise

tj Wise

ah, I should have been feeding more, that makes sensese. I have two experienced friends whose trees are a good 20% bigger than mine, which lol annoys me. they spent $$$ on their soil while I scrounged compost, but yeah, my high drain formula with pumice etc should have gotten more nutes. Live and learn. But i am happy. Thanks for the kind words and advice.

Top Bottom