My attempt at qwiso...advice welcome!

• Thread starter Anything
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anything

Anything

Ok, so after giving some oils/waxes a try I decided I HAD to make my own. I've spent hours upon hours upon hours browsing forums, youtube and the like trying to figure out the "best" way...and it's clear that everyone has their own best way.

I'm using wide mouth large mason jars, 2 oz's of trim in each one...jar + trim are stored in the freezer until use, as well as the alcohol (91% iso). Initially I played with a 30 second wash, but it came out just about as dark as a 2.5 min wash I did...so I decided to stop trying to get a light colored final product and stick with the longer washes for a more thorough collection. (I've since come to the conclusion my 30 sec wash was more like 45-60 once I got the alcohol in and shook for 30 seconds then drained)

What I'm getting is a much darker oil than what I was going for, though still tasty and definitely does the job!

Here's some photos...

Drying (I've stopped drying over heat as it tends to harden the oil more than I wanted)

After it had dried, I scraped into a ball then flattened back out...

The batches in the pictures are all 4 min washes, after I had given up on getting a more light final product I decided to just go long and try to get it all without having to do multiple washes.

So...

On to my questions.

THIS is what I WANT to get, though I'm beginning to think my process/starting product won't allow it.

My main goal at this point...how do I get my stuff to finish like (thanks Dingbat for the source image) this...

Thanks for all the great info in the other threads...hopefully I'll be posting some pictures of some great stuff in the next few days :)

51R50G

Are you considering the time it takes to filter the iso off of the plant material as well?

If you use a strainer first, obviously you remove the bigger pieces and particles.... but there will still be many undissolved impurities that the iso is slowly dissolving as it leaks through the (what i assume you used) coffee filter....

It MIGHT be... up to you completely, worth it to look into a small scale filtration system, using a pump to suck the solvent through a filter and reduce the contact time of the solvent and plant material...

Filter flast + bouchner fuller + hand pump (or electric, there are kits that come with hand pumps though) = very quick filtration and ive had much success in increasing the golden/amber color of the oil and reducing the darker/greener color.

Might be worth looking into!!!

F

fuzzy

nice post

Very nice first post 51!Welcome to the farm! peace,fuzzy

51R50G

Very nice first post 51!Welcome to the farm! peace,fuzzy

Thanks!!!

I was told this forum is where you need to go when trying to find ways to refine the oil process!!! It seems quite so.

I make a lot of qwiso, and my friend and i are working on a nice new hands free bho set up and i came here to find interesting theories to add to it!!!!

Among other things of course hehehe

Graywolf

Graywolf

You can lighten up your extract by finding some 99% instead of 91%. Cholophyll is the darkening agent, and it is water soluble.

PrairieBoy

PrairieBoy

Yep i found 99% to produce much better quality ime... a shorter wash/shake time also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom