my buds have little smell

• Thread starter harrypotter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

harrypotter

hi first post, first grow. after having a good snoop round must say impressed with al the knowledge on here anyway heres my ?, after finding a loada seed in a bag of real potent purple weed about 3 months ago, i ended up with about 15 seeds,i caught the bug i decided to grow. i ended up with 7 females 5 to 6 feet high and christmas tree shaped being my first grow i used a load of cfls in compost and various nutes of unknown manufacturers but in timing with the stages of growth by this i mean more nitro based at veg, more phos at flower, correct me if i'm wrong, although trying to be methodical in my growing a few mistakes were made like letting the fan leaves get bunt by the bulbs and forgetting the date i switch to 12/12 the basis of my ? although my plants seemed to have quite a bit of bud with 90% brown hairs, though a few looked like they had gone through the peak potency window there was very little smell unless you stuck you nose right in the bud, will this be ok currently drying although unsure of my harvesting time, i have cut about half down today

thanks in advance hope i can pass knowledge on to a newbie farmer 1 day, THE POTTER

D

Dan K

Go to the thread about drying and curing your herb by DJ Short...

M

mellofello

It is suprising at first what a good cure can do to the smell of buds. Though normally my plants stink at the chop but I have had some strains that take a while to develope a proper smell. That and living in the same room as your tent helps you to lose all sense of smell when it comes to bud smells, totally oblivious!

peace

mello

B

BUDOGHI

Think about up grading your lights for your next grow, CFL's are kinda limited. A mix of HPS and MH is best, the MH helps with taste and smells.

B

bulldog74

cure for a minimum of 2weeks but a month would be better. Usually mine stink to high heaven right when i chop. Dry your buds hanging upside down in a cool dark place for 4 days to a week. There is a good chance there will be no smell after a week of drying but you should have some smell after a week of curing. Often I get a grassy green smell at first but after 2 to 3 weeks of curing you will start smelling dank. Do you know about how long they were in flower? A month, 2 or 3 months? generally it takes at least 2 months of flower minimum. If you chopped after 5 or 6 weeks they are probably immature and this will end up making a big difference. sometimes an additional week makes a drastic difference in the quality of the final product.

H

harrypotter

thanks fella's. gonna give them a slow dry at room temp an see what the results are. i'm goin to upgrade my lights for the next one for sure. but had to downgrade my space (security reasons) new dimensions are 180cm high 100x180cm base. any ideas on the most efficient lumen=watt light setup. also i have no seeds left would it be possible to re-veg my plants if i adjust the timer to gradually give longer days or just switch 18/6, 24hours straight away, what nutes should i add? can i take cuttings? and can you take cutting from plants the once themselves a cutting.
thanks

THE POTTER

H

harrypotter

hi forgot to mention they were in flower between 2/3 months what exactly happens when they go over i will try an post some pics later on today an see what you all think. thanks

S

scrapiron

Here in the States, thats 5.9'w X 3.2'd X 5.9'h. I would go with a 600w or 1000w. Also get a dual-arc bulb.

If you try to reveg, just go straight to 18 or 24 hour light. Dont take cuttings until you see new growth. And you can take cuttings of cuttings of cuttings!

As far as harvest, look into Trichome coloration instead of hair coloration.

H

harrypotter

thanks scrapiron, might go for the 600w, whats the difference with dual-arc bulb, 2 elements? hps or mh? also can i have 1 ballast and swap between hps and mh bulbs, if needs be thanks guys

S

scrapiron

Dual arc has both HPS and MH in the same bulb. They run off of a HPS ballast. Perfect light for veg and flower.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Get a 1000w HPS Hort. and do it right.. 145K+ lumens... :icon_spin: A 1000w+ is the ONLY light that will truly truly bring out the best in your plant's oils, smells, yield, structure, and replicate the sun's energy for max performance. I've never heard of a MH making a plant's oils smell better... it'll make the plant grow shorter and bushier but most just plain mh are lumen weak.. unless I'm just clueless, which is possible, no doubt! :banana1sv6:

I do agree with some.. Depends on the genetics, it might not stink at all.. It's all about the drying.. No light, no wind, long and slow.. I think the drying process should take much much longer than a few days, personally, my drying runs normally takes 14-21 days.. long and slow..

I personally think you have to make a drying room for the correct temps, humidity,etc, just like you would with growing, if you don't have them at baseline already.. I personally cut all my large sun leaves off but leave everything else on to help protect and to slow the drying process down. That makes all the difference in the world..imho

:damnhippie:

S

scrapiron

Tex, the HPS Hort Blue is pretty awesome. However, once you flower with MH you will never look back. I have the Hort Blue 1000w dual arc. $175 bones, but worth every penny. I will never flower with straight HPS again.
MH most certainly enhances the "oils".

HPS=Quantity
MH=Quality

H

harrypotter

thanks for the info fella's, i hope i can pick up a dual-arc bulb, were i am is there a special ballast needed?, are they switchable or hps and mh at once? thanks

H

harrypotter

no way think i'll have to wait awhile for the dual arc idea theres no one i can find selling these in the uk did find a few in canada 1000w dual arc $22. i may just get a 1000w hps for now thanks

Top Bottom