My dank smells sour

• Thread starter Albert93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Here's my method. Cut plant and remove fan leaves. Hang 7-10 days. Cut branches into 8-10" lengths and place in paper bag. Open bag for a few minute each day. When the buds are dry enough snap off, remove stems and trim. Place in bag and close it for 2-3 days. then place in jars and burp every couple days.

Albert93

Albert93

Here's my method. Cut plant and remove fan leaves. Hang 7-10 days. Cut branches into 8-10" lengths and place in paper bag. Open bag for a few minute each day. When the buds are dry enough snap off, remove stems and trim. Place in bag and close it for 2-3 days. then place in jars and burp every couple days.
Thank you so much !

Anthem

Anthem

Only issue with a paper bag is the resin it can soak up. A plastic bag will not absorb the resins

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey albert , i would definitly go with growsince 79 suggestion , paper bags aid in the " slow" dry and transport moisture out of the buds slowly and be a more porous containment , opposed to a plastic bag which will cause your buds to " sweat" and possibly / pfobably inhibit the slow dry process that you are aiming towards ...
Just use a supermarket type brown bag , you will open and close it for a day or 2 and you will be more able to controll moisture .....

dire wolf

dire wolf

If you just throw it it the jar you will be missing the concept of slow drying , and most likely over sweat the buds , and end up with mold , or shitty smelling weed , your bud needs to slow dry over quite a few days and then be burped in the jars or even removed from the jars and back in the paper bag for a nice slow dry ....
Slow dry , 2 week to a month cure at least in the jar afterwards promote best flavors and cure ....

Also , what do you mean when you say your dank smells sour ?

Anthem

Anthem

Ok so should I just throw them in a jar ? @Anthem or what would u suggest ?
Both methods work. You have to just be aware of the moisture content of the bud. If you hang until the buds snap off the stem you are good to go. Curing is more about allowing the bud to slowly dry and bring moisture that is inside of the bud out to the surface. If you open the plastic bag once or twice a day for 15 to 30 minutes and allow the bag to exchange air you will be fine. Do this for the first 5 to 7 days and then every other day for 2 weeks and than once a week and until you are ready to smoke. I actually add Boveda humidity deals in each jar. So if the buds get too dry the Boveda can add back in moisture and it can also remove moisture in needed.
All of this is based on dense nugs. The more larf the quicker everything will happen. I have some stuff that I can hang for 2 weeks at 50 percent and it is still not completely ready.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey albert , all good advice , i only cautioned you against plastic because new growers usually dont have a sense of when "dry" is dry , there will be moisture inside the stem and bud even if your leaf is crispy dry .... and that sometimes confuses the new grower , do what anthem and growsince said , but be sure to " snap " the small twigs , they cant bend or be " almost " dry , you will run into problems in the jar if they are not dry ,
But its a personal skill , that you will get a feel for over time , just too many new growers jaring moist bud , not monitoring it and end up with foul smelling bud ......

dire wolf

dire wolf

Some folks do 2 to 3 weeks , some insist on 2 to 3 months , if they harvest enough ,
there will be subtle changes as it cures , as with anything , think fine wine ....

Also depends on quality and genetics of your bud , dont kick yourself if it smells like crap or nothing at all , can just be average bud , which at some point is out of the growers control

Just because you dried and cured your bud 100 % dosen't mean it will smell or smoke great...
Im usually satisfied with a 3 week cure .....

Madbud

Madbud

The purpose of the paper bag is to draw the moisture from inside the bud after the hang dry. The only time i use plastic is vac-pac in the freezer.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
65-68f at 55% humidity. Fan on low not directed at plant.
Hang hole plant from stock.
10-16 days to jump start curing process.
Pluck buds off when stem snaps.
put in shallow plastic container with lid on open 1 inch. Check daily.
Dry trim, jar as needed.

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

just chiming in from a dry climate in case your there too. I hang dry only like 4 days only, (35-40% humidity is all I can get it up too) about when the leaves are crisp but not snapping stems yet. Then trimmed into buds and put into the really big mason jars with the lids off. By this time, 5-6 days, the humidity in the jars sits at like 50-60% already.
Once its dipping under 60% I start closing the jars and watching humidity. (amazon has like 12 packs of little thermometers to make it easy) opening at least once a day or more trying to keep it under 65% and get new air in there. That cure zone really only lasts like a week at best for me. But continue burping for at least two weeks, and sometimes move to smaller jars if i need the big ones back. Mostly just pointing out sometimes its not high humidity and mold to worry about, but keeping the buds together and moist as long as possible. In case it helps.

For smell, I mean its great at harvest and doesn't really get good again until its curing. It can be a bit like grass clippings at times while its getting dry.

dire wolf

dire wolf

just chiming in from a dry climate in case your there too. I hang dry only like 4 days only, (35-40% humidity is all I can get it up too) about when the leaves are crisp but not snapping stems yet. Then trimmed into buds and put into the really big mason jars with the lids off. By this time, 5-6 days, the humidity in the jars sits at like 50-60% already.
Once its dipping under 60% I start closing the jars and watching humidity. (amazon has like 12 packs of little thermometers to make it easy) opening at least once a day or more trying to keep it under 65% and get new air in there. That cure zone really only lasts like a week at best for me. But continue burping for at least two weeks, and sometimes move to smaller jars if i need the big ones back. Mostly just pointing out sometimes its not high humidity and mold to worry about, but keeping the buds together and moist as long as possible. In case it helps.

For smell, I mean its great at harvest and doesn't really get good again until its curing. It can be a bit like grass clippings at times while its getting dry.
True , what growing garbage said , fresh cut bud smells like grass clippings , throws some growers off , but with a proper cure , most bud will shine ....

Last edited:
N

Newber

Only issue with a paper bag is the resin it can soak up. A plastic bag will not absorb the resins
@Anthem *NOTICE* Anthem is a complete troll with 6 posts that apparently knows everything.... might have more since last night, but please disregard everything he says.... paper is to help soak up moisture, so how on god's green earth would plastic help anything? 😂🤣😂 fuck off brah

N

Newber

@Anthem gonna need a new handle broski bc I'm gonna be in that negative, non-informative ass, for the rest of your days on this site 😛💀💀

Top Bottom