My Disappointing, even PATHETIC Grow!

• Thread starter Kampbe1l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Lazily, I have been running both 2 x 55W T5 fluorescent light fixtures 24/7 in the grow tent - unless the plants are sitting outside absorbing the natural sunlight.

My electricity 'provider' charges peak usage rates from 2 pm to 8 pm weekdays. Shoulder rates apply between 7 am to 2 pm, and 8 m and 10 pm, with off-peak hours from 10 pm through to 7 am. I won't explain here the complexity of our gold-plated electricity distribution network here, but it means that i should cut my electricity usage, especially between the peak hour period.

On the 18/6 on/off light cycle, it means to switch off the lights for the 6 hour period to coincide conveniently with this peak hour period between 2 and 8 pm.

Finally, today, I got my arse around simply inserting the smart-plug into the power-board, then a double-adapter into the smart-plug, and the 2 power-cords for the light fixtures into the double-adapter. Not that hard, but a task put off for the last 3 weeks. I already have installed the smart application on my smart phone, and I saw there that these 2 light fixtures were drawing 175 watts of electricity from the wall.

Capture tp link hs110 00

I would save about 1/4 of the electricity cost running 18/6 rather than 24/7. Rough figures as its based on peak hour usage charge rates, It's $1.20 AUD ($0.80 USD) to run these lights daily these light fixtures, or $430 annually.

Okay, from tomorrow, I am going to start to cut down the hours from 24/7 towards 18/6 -switch off the lights from 7 pm to 8 pm, and leave it on 23/7 for a couple of days before cutting it further hour, until i reach that 18/6 cycle. Gradually, i want to sync the darkness with this peak hour, and over winter run at this 18/6 strictly with light off between this peak hour period.

i figured better to cut down from sunset times, so i have the option of leaving these plants outside to absorb the natural sunlight when the weather & mother nature co-operates without disrupting too much its dark hours.

I gather that there are not much benefit of running 24/7 rather than 18/6, in terms of growth of the plants. The plants would get some benefits of resting during darkness. I would save some electricity cost, my 20 cents a day. Yah?

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You don't need 24/7 bro and if you're running 2 tents before long you'll be doing everything you can to slow the veg tent down believe me! LOL I run 16:8 and love it and it's got other benefits besides saving a lot of electricity too! And everything is set to run as much as possible during off-peak hours, hope this helps! Good luck

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Reading the label of the potting mix...

Ingredients - black peat, granulated peat moss, perlite, dolomitic lime, mineral NPK fertiliser
Dry Matter (% of product weight) > 30%
Organic Matter > 85%
Electrical Conductivity 1.0 mS/cm
pH water-zone 6.0
Mineral fertiliser NPK 12-14/21 at 1.5kg/m3

Otherwise, the label and packaging is full of marketing claims and general statements - substrate for rapidly growing vegetables, herbaceous, fruit bearing and flowering plants. This substrate is suitable for upper water supply systems and below water supply systems (ie ebb & flow). And more useless generic recommendation to water according to the needs of the plant, depending on its pot size, growing conditions and grow stage of the plant. Blah, blah, blah

See how it goes, with this potting mix.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

I gather these T5 fluorescent are good for vegetative phase, to a certain point. Is this certain point, 2 feet in height?

So, if I was to manipulate (topping, LST, FIM, HST, etc.) the plant and keep it at this 2-feet level over the grow tent's canopy, these fluorescent would support bushy growth until its all about 2 feet in height?

Just mulling over the options...

I am pondering about changing away from these T5 fluorescent soon, as the plants gets bigger. maybe, I'm jumping the gun, again.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Rather than building DIY grow tent, i found it easier to buy a prefabricated grow tent. Such tents are simple to build, neat and, compact. I haven't got the skills, tools or materials to DIY, and DIY for me might end up costing more than buying a prefab grow tent.

The initial setup was kept simple - a setup just to get things going, and then to gradually build upon, to create a fully functioning grow tent. To cross whatever bridge, when it needs to be crossed.

Capture HOMEbox Ambient Q60plus 01

i bought myself this HOMEbox Ambient Q60+, a couple of months ago.

Assembled Size: 60 x 60 x 160 cm
Grow Space: 0.36 sq metres
Inlet & Outlet Tubes
100 mm (4") at rear
125 mm (5") on its left
160 m (6.3") on top/roof
2 x 125 mm (5") air vents on its left & right

Capture HOMEbox Ambient Q60plus 00 dimensions

After using this Q60+ in our apartment, I could have gone for a slightly bigger dimensions, one model up. My general principles is not to bite off more than i can chew, where i can always expand or change tack later, start small. i also figured smaller is more manageable for myself, at this point in time.

This HOMEbox Q60+ was easy and quick to assemble, i took a leisurely 20-minutes - no tool required, though an extra set of hands would have been handy.

Now, presently I am running a pair of 2x 55W T5 2-foot fluorescent light fixtures in this grow tent just to keep these plants in vegetative phase. And just running two 15 cm fans, one placed on the floor to blow air towards the tubes and the other placed to blow air on top of these fixtures. That's it.

So, my thoughts are turning towards switching out these fluorescent, now that we're heading from seedling to juvenile, into full vegetative phases.

What lights would you recommend for this tent, for vegetative and then flowering phases?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Exactly what jimster said, i tell friends all the time, go minimal, pro mix, some lite compost or even a simple one part nute like dyna grow. That way you work up as the plants display their needs,

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Day 23 since its dramatic, drastic and desperate transplants, and fingers crossed, all is going better, even well.

I have been banging on this topic for a while, another example of my procrastination perhaps, rather than prudence. It's to the point, where words doesn't matter, only action counts. I need to replace the T5 fluorescent light fixtures to encourage stronger vegetative growth for my juveniles, NOW!

I need to do a few other things in tending to these plants, but their lighting has now become the immediate issue in this grow. And rather than wait for my next fortnight packet, i decided now is the time to pull the trigger, buy additional lighting for my grow tent. The plants will soon outgrow these fluorescent, and the new light source is to encourage first its vegetative growth. Also, this purchase of additional light source will free up these fluorescent light fixtures for other purposes.

In a way, this purchase was not impulsive - as i said, additional lighting has been on my wish list for a while, now on my shopping list.

I'm old-school who used 400/600W MH and HPS over flood & drain system. That's where this purchase was impulsive, in that i bought my first LED grow lights.

I browsed some local hydroponic online retailers, through their LEDs category only. No distraction looking at 315W CMH. Initially, I didn't look closely at its price tag, rather examined their specifications of the different LED products/brands. The technical aspects of lighting is a challenge, but i think i get the gist there.

Price is always a major factor in any purchasing decision, and my budget was set at entry- to mid-range level. The high-end, top-dollars products can be considered sometime whenever in the future. It's kinda like diving in the deep end, buying a particular LED grow light. And I decided instead, to dip my toes into the water, by not going overboard, just yet buying top-end gear. The dimensions of my grow tent also narrowed down the choices, not going overboard on getting a large light for a small 4 square foot area.

anyway, threw some pocket-money at it, less than i had initially intended, went modest. expecting delivery later this week. no buyer's remorse, its going to be better than what i had. update later when i setup this LED grow light in the grow tent.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

The 'Twins' looked thirsty, its leaves started to droop.

It is now 24 days since their transplant, i decided to see how it may respond to some weak nutrient feed, instead of plain watering.

Prepared at 1/4 of full recommended strength, and this weak nutrient solution measured 6.5 pH, without any adjustment. Figured it's close enough, and fed the 'Twins' about 500 mls.

20200115 185954 Twins and  MK10

Left the 'Twins' on the balcony, to soak up this feed and to soak up the remaining sunset. Warm 28c (80F?).

20200115 190019 MK10 top

MK10 isn't thirsty, so let it be for another day, before maybe feeding her with some of this weak nutrient solution.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

weak nutrients were 6.5 pH fed in, run-off at 6.2 pH out of the soil mix.

what's that all mean?

anyway, its 8:24 pm, and the sun had just set. another 2 hours in the darkness, before the plants moved back into the grow tent, under the fluorescent.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Work all day, and come home. And what do you get?

20200116 181304 LED box

Well...today, there's a package waiting for me, at home, excitement! Ripped the box open, carefully placed the new toy on its foam. Today, i reverted to Murphy's Law straight away, read its single-sheet paper instruction manual first, before plugging it in.

It's 3 knobs and a power cord, ffs!

Held back setting it up, i waited until after dinner, and for the lights to go out at 6:45 pm. Shifted the plants out of the grow tent, to remove the pair of fluorescent light fixtures. Clean the tent a little, then heaps of rope ratchets to hang the new LED grow lights in the grow tent.

The LED grow lights are heavy but compact, allowing its handling by a single person. Just don't want to drop this baby. I ratcheted the lights right up to the roof of the tent, allowing about 1 metre (3+ ft) distance to the top of the plants.

20200116 185014 flouros and fan

Recommence operations, first placing the plants back in. Re-positioned the two 15 cm fans, one running on the floor pushing air upwards, while the other fan blowing across the top of the lights. Set the 3 knobs B/W/R at its 60/60/30 settings, and waited for the lights to come back on at 8 pm. With my sunnies on, at sunset, yeah!

See how these LED, and the plant goes. Adjust B/W/R and/or height, as we go.

20200116 200340

As it was, the 'Twins' have visibly responded strongly, where their leaves have perked right up towards the lights - so, they seemed to have enjoyed its mild feed yesterday. Based on their reaction, I am going to fed lightly the other plant (MK10), when she gets a little thirsty next.

I feel that I am starting to get my act together a little better, risk it here by mentioning the war. A bit rusty at the beginning of this grow, a couple of months ago, but in this short journey so far, there has been many lessons re-learned. It's hard to explain the earlier struggles and why it took awhile to resolve. Alas, there are going to be challenges ahead. Never grown under LED before.

25 days since their transplant.....

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

it's been a miserable summer 2019/20 here. i don't recall 2 sunny days in a row, this summer, yet.

i'm not whinging, as we just get the smoke haze from the bushfires.

Forecast is a little cooler than typical summer, and we need more rain in the right spots. It is what it is, weather.

So, our kids won't be let out to play in the sun, for a while....

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Im not as experienced as everyone else, so i dont have much to say except a couple small things, i guess im just glad to read over this. Weve had a similar grow in a way, just with potting mixes not working for us. So its been cool to follow. Were overcoming our barriers and obstacles with these soils and learning.

That MK10 is looking on point thus far.

Looks like shes happy!

I see you got a new light, i read through, i didnt see you name your brand? what did you end up getting? did i miss over you saying it somewhere? I could have. It seems like a sick light, thats why i ask, it looks a little different but i see you have the 3 knobs, looks unique. im looking into a quantum board.

Edit: Dumb me, click on the picture and you can see ViparSpectra, Cool, ive always wondered how those were. i know exactly which one you have, or the kind atleast. Interested in these upcoming results with it.

Sydney? Got a long time friend up in deception bay QLD, hes doing good from fires, hopefully youre in no danger yourself.
Keep up the grow bro. Im following along. even if i just lurk for a min. xD

Mollyambro

Mollyambro

PRE-NOTE: Take 2 on writing this thread...so, paraphrasing what I might have written before. I am suspecting the downtime last night wiped my new thread, which I swear I wrote in this 'Grow Diaries' section.

Maybe I am going crazy? I imagined writing my thread and its responses. I definitely uploaded a 'before' and 'after' photos. it's not a double post, is it? I think i was talking about my own credibility.

------------------

Yup, it's been a struggle this year. This struggle all stemmed from my visit to the store several months ago, when they didn't have the regular potting mix I had used in past grows. I made a wrong decision on-the-spot in the choice of 'premium' potting mix.

View attachment 927343

Kicking myself for making this silly mistake, getting the fundamentals wrong doesn't help. I read the bag's label closely, before purchasing! Made sure no slow-release fertiliser time-bomb, right balance of NPK,etc.

Other reason for kicking myself was not correcting this silly mistake quicker. I let it go for about a month, when I knew immediately what the issue was, unsuitable potting mix causing poor root development.

View attachment 927344

On the flip side, i learned some lessons. I found a better soil/potting mix, which i may use in future grows. i learned to tackle the issue immediately, and properly.

hey, those who never stuff up, never have the joy of figuring it out, finally. maybe, its more a relief.

i could have germinated seeds, sown it, and it would have been more developed (in the new potting mix), than rescuing these babies. But happy that i got these babies back from the dead, and i didn't burn any more seeds.

Onto the next challenge....

This is why I'm writing this grow diary here, to show others the stuffups and its fixes (or not) - rather than tellling ya all how big & beautiful my dick is.
Haha! Snap!
I just when I’m feeling confident I do something really dumb to fuck things up. So annoying. I’m so jealous of everyone’s perfect grows , my buds never look like that!!! Maybe I should get onto photoshop!! Lol

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

hey, don't burst my bubble, here - my new LED is a Viparspectra PAR450 LED Grow Light.

20200116 183000 LEDS Z

Specifications:

Vegetative Coverage at 81CM: 76CM x 76CM
Flowering Coverage at 61CM: 61CM x 61CM
Avg. Power Draw: 202watt MAX
(90pcs) High Intensity 5Watt Bridgelux/Epileds LED Bulbs
Lens Angle: 90°
Input Voltage: AC100-240V
Frequency: 50-60Hz
Lifespan: 100,000 hours
Product size: 36CM x 30CM x 9CM
Product Weight: 5.5KG

Capture Viparspectra PAR450 00

Considered Viparspectra V300, V450, even V600 from their Reflector series. And MARS Hydro Reflector 480W Mars II 400W. Piss myself looking at California Lightworks!

but ended up buying this PAR450, cheap!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Haha! Snap!
I just when I’m feeling confident I do something really dumb to fuck things up. So annoying. I’m so jealous of everyone’s perfect grows , my buds never look like that!!! Maybe I should get onto photoshop!! Lol

i totally have the same sentiments, we are on the same leaky boat.

i too was here many hours, reading other people's success, while living in my own misery. it compounds, these posts bragging about their success, putting a boot in ya - when you're down on your own disappointments.

while the disappointments has been frustrating, it lightens up when you start figuring things out for yourself. despite your rough ride thus far, you must have some little victories on your way. remember those small victories in time of despair.

what i try to do now, is to not do the same things expecting a different result.

if you're running into issues, tend to the matter you think it might be while keeping other factors as constant as you can. it's a process of elimination, trying to resolve an issue.

growing is an ongoing experiment, where the plants are the test subjects.

and i could never photo-shop - i like it raw and fresh. try to snap the perfect shot, first time. and if not perfect shot, it'll do. also, photo-shop is cheating.

finally, if it was EASY, this THING of OURS, then everyone would be doing it! Like every thing human, some have the knack while most of the others need to work hard on it.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

first feed of weak nutrient solution to MK10.

20200117 181928

I crunched tallest offshoot's stem, so its bent away from the main stem. HST? No, bending! I reckon this plant would go off SoG!

I thought of FIM, with a pair of scissors in hand, but didn't.

too early to tell about the new LED, only got it yesterday. both the plants and me are adapting to the new lighting.

20200117 181931

oh - these LEDs draw about 100W from the wall socket, while the pair of 2x 55w 2 ft T5 flourescent drew close to 170W. the settings B/W/R on its 60/60/30.

Last edited:
Farmer P

Farmer P

first feed of weak nutrient solution to MK10.

View attachment 930848

I crunched tallest offshoot's stem, so its bent away from the main stem. HST? No, bending! I reckon this plant would go off SoG!

I thought of FIM, with a pair of scissors in hand, but didn't.

too early to tell about the new LED, only got it yesterday. both the plants and me are adapting to the new lighting.

View attachment 930849

oh - these LEDs draw about 100W from the wall socket, while the pair of 2x 55w 2 ft T5 flourescent drew close to 170W. the settings B/W/R on its 60/60/30.
I have a couple vipars. One I've been using for a few years still runs great. I've mostly moved away from the colored led's to regular white light. (takes better pics I can see the plants better)
I consider the blurples a good starter light, not too expensive but get the job done. They do put out some powerful rays. Lot's of guys moving over to these.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Lot's of guys moving over to these.

limited HLG distributors here, and i can't source that HLG100v2 here, yet.

i considered HLG 260W, before i got my cheap PAR450.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i have many questions, which i withhold from asking for the time being, as those bridges doesn't need to be crossed yet. And then there are other questions, becoming more of a growing concern, which can't be left alone.

my young ladies has BO.

i like their sweet BO, i'm not offended by their smell. When i approach the grow tent, located in the spare room, i get a good whiff of sweet jane. i especially notice it when i first wake up or when i get home from work. and her smell is getting stronger.

my neighbours might not be so tolerant. the other half has mentioned it more frequently, more recently and i think i get that message.

now, i thought of setting up carbon filter and exhaust fan sitting outside this 2x2x5 tent, running some ducting through the tent's top vent and a passive air intake system, to address this growing issue.

my rough calculations for the fan size for this 2x2x5 tent is 40 CFM.

yes, i am revisiting this matter, which i left on the afterburner for 3 months.

at this 40 CFM calculation, i only need a small exhaust fan for the purposes of air replacement, ventilation and circulation. i don't use my noisy and rattling 150 mm exhaust fan. and when this fan operated, there was plenty of negative pressure in the tent, its overkill for my small tent.

i'm running into the same brickwall, as i did 3 months ago. am i looking at fan controllers, whisper silencers and better exhaust fans...? Going to later browse the local hydroponic stores to see what stock we have to choose from, and come back here with more collected thoughts.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

beginning of 5th week, since their dramatic rescue/transplanting.

Keeping to the main road, trying not to go down any dead-ends or goose-chase, trying not to go off on tangents. Slow & steady, as she goes.

no pickies until i next water these plants when i do closer inspection, so take my word for the time being, they look healthiest they have been in their lives, under these new LED lights. this new LED light kicks those pair of fluorescent for vegetative growth, but these 2 different lights are to be used for different purposes.

anticipation & expectation are 2 anxieties which needs to be kept in check. time and patience will dictate the course of actions.

next watering, later this week (either Thursday or Friday, depending on the conditions) - plan to either top or FIM. i think they're large enough to take such manipulation. i've never FIM before, a little apprehensive in doing its name sake!

one plant i was going to FIM it, as it has bushy new growth tip - while another plant i was thinking of topping, instead, as it has 2 strong little offshoots at the intersection of the last top node.

plan is to manipulate these plants, so they take up all the tent's canopy, before flipping to flower.

as it's the first 'proper' grow, and first time in this soil mix & first time growing these 2 feminised strains, under these new lights, i have no idea of timeframes. in my case, this timeframe is not so important, as i am not at all in a rush, but still good to know. i suppose i will, for the next grow.

Top Bottom