My experiment for keeping fungus gnats away

• Thread starter Mudslinger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mudslinger

Like most of you peeps I hate dealing with fungus gnats and it’s tough to fully get rid of them.
I am seeing if creating a breathable barrier will prevent them from getting into the soil. This is just air filter material which I cut to fit the pot. I also added the filter to the open holes at the bottom. I cut it in half to make it easy to remove.
I know sand as a top layer has been suggested but the sand eventually washes into the soil.

I’ll see how it goes.

My experiment for keeping fungus gnats away
My experiment for keeping fungus gnats away 2
My experiment for keeping fungus gnats away 3
My experiment for keeping fungus gnats away 4
Homesteader

Homesteader

It is worth a shot and will definitely at least piss them off. From my experience, FGnats come with peat and peat based soils and there is no way around that. To kill them in peat. Soak then, let them hatch then let it dry completely.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I very rarely see a fungus gnat when growing in winter months. I did not see a single one in my last grow that I just recently harvested.

Do you have a tendency to overwater? They love constant moist soil.

S

Stonemason7767

I have had good luck with neem cake in the past.i grow in soil dont know much about coco growing.put 2 table spoons in gallon of water soak over night.drench soil.takes about 5 applications sometimes less..I like your idea.let us know how it works.

Trixie

Trixie

Keeping a lot of yellow stickies helps too. If you have them placed where the flying adults can land on them they can be used as a monitor to monitor the infestation. The gnats think the yellow color is a dead yellow leaf and are attracted to them. When they land, they get trapped, can't leave, and multiply on the sticky.

2Bad

2Bad

Maybe try fabric pots next time. Also I always see gnats in my bathroom...I try to clean my sink and bathtub drain whenever I see them.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

The only sure way to deal with these things is treat the soil with an anti-fungle remedy. General Hydroponics Defguard ins OMRI listed and is the only thing I have found that actually kills and prevents these bastards.

Top Bottom