My first grow, any tips? Light to close?

• Thread starter Nonaturallight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PK1

PK1

Supporter
And to Akgrow. I turned the white light cobs on only. Getting a meter and learning about that stuff more now. I didn't want to small of a light when buying my gear. But I think I went pretty big. It was just such a Good price. The temp has gone down to 26.2 which I'm happier with, and the rh to 50%. This is with the other lights turned off and just the cobs on. They don't seem to be reacting negatively over night from it of course. So we'll see how the week goes. Thank you all very much
i think you are misunderstanding, we are not saying that is a bad light. It is just not the right light intensity for a seedling. Seedlings are fragile at the beginning and they don't need much. as long as temps and humidity is on point then you are in better hands then having a high temp light.

regarding watering. You don't need to water to run off at the moment. However, you should water in a circle around the plant and keep working that cyrcle to the outer ledge. You want to make the plant grow its roots and find resources. this technique helps the plant to grow more roots.

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

i think you are misunderstanding, we are not saying that is a bad light. It is just not the right light intensity for a seedling. Seedlings are fragile at the beginning and they don't need much. as long as temps and humidity is on point then you are in better hands then having a high temp light.

regarding watering. You don't need to water to run off at the moment. However, you should water in a circle around the plant and keep working that cyrcle to the outer ledge. You want to make the plant grow its roots and find resources. this technique helps the plant to grow more roots.
I didn't think you were bashing the light at all. I just didn't think the light would be so intense with both switches on. I love that it's to pawerful for the little guys with both on and that I can use one switch for good results. Wasn't thinking you were saying it's bad. I understand what you were getting at. Much appreciated. I can give them lots of light with this light with both switches on in bloom.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
i just noticed you are using promix and rootfarm and then in the 1st page somewhere you said ph 6.

With most soils you don't have to ph your nutrients. Unless your water perimeter's are out of wack.

i assume you have a ph and ppm/ec meter than you can check the ph of your nutrient water. It should be around 6.5 if not that is okay, because i know for a fact promix has lime in it and it will reduce the ph automaticly to 6.5 for the plant to uptake nutrients.

You can test this by making a 1:1 ratio of dirt and water and mixing it for few times through the day. At the end of the night let the soil settle in the cup and in the morning you have the water on top of the cup. That water can be checked with a ph meter and i bet it will have a ph around 6.5

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

i just noticed you are using promix and rootfarm and then in the 1st page somewhere you said ph 6.

With most soils you don't have to ph your nutrients. Unless your water perimeter's are out of wack.

i assume you have a ph and ppm/ec meter than you can check the ph of your nutrient water. It should be around 6.5 if not that is okay, because i know for a fact promix has lime in it and it will reduce the ph automaticly to 6.5 for the plant to uptake nutrients.

You can test this by making a 1:1 ratio of dirt and water and mixing it for few times through the day. At the end of the night let the soil settle in the cup and in the morning you have the water on top of the cup. That water can be checked with a ph meter and i bet it will have a ph around 6.5
I think I'm just being anal retentive at this point. The ph soil meter says it's perfect. Put I make the water perfect too. They're doing well and strong with the cobs on only. True pot leaves have started on the one. Very exciting. Today is two weeks from buying the seeds and starting a soak.

20211206 161644
20211206 161634
20211206 161656
PK1

PK1

Supporter
I think I'm just being anal retentive and this point. The oh soil meter says it's perfect. Put I make the water perfect too. They're doing well and strong with the cobs on only. True pot leaves have started on the one. Very exciting. Today is two weeks from buying the seeds and starting a soak.
those two pictures gives me mixed feelings mate! Happy/sad to be exact. lol
What are you doing to the 1st picture that it you are not doing to the 2nd seedling? Can you upload a picture showing the whole tent?

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

What are you doing to the 1st picture that it you are not doing to the 2nd seedling? Can you upload a picture showing the whole tent?

20211206 163405
20211206 163408
20211206 163411
Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

Should I move the pots the other way. Light turned the other way. Like have them in the left corner kinda thing up and down, exact ditance from everything?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Should I move the pots the other way. Light turned the other way. Like have them in the left corner kinda thing up and down, exact ditance from everything?
no your setup is solid, it can be improved but good. Move the light all the way up 😄 bring the big fan slightly lower and have it in a way to blows the hot air away between the plants and bottom of the light. its okay for the plants to maneuver/shake a bit

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

no your setup is solid, it can be improved but good. Move the light all the way up 😄 bring the big fan slightly lower and have it in a way to blows the hot air away between the plants and bottom of the light.
Its 5 foot height. The cobs run 245 true watts. And the multi colour ones run 194w. When run together is 426 true watt( a little less when combined) will just the cob lights on, be sufficient at the top of the tent for the plants? Or will I have to turn both on again.

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

no your setup is solid, it can be improved but good. Move the light all the way up 😄 bring the big fan slightly lower and have it in a way to blows the hot air away between the plants and bottom of the light. its okay for the plants to maneuver/shake a bit

20211206 170010
20211206 170003
20211206 165804
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Its 5 foot height. The cobs run 245 true watts. And the multi colour ones run 194w. When run together is 426 true watt( a little less when combined) will just the cob lights on, be sufficient at the top of the tent for the plants? Or will I have to turn both on again.
i think you had it correct in the picture, the veg light should be on and the flower button off. The heat is what is causing the 2nd plant/picture to have curly leaves. It's probably the big fan blowing the hot air towards that plant 1st. you can hold your hand onto of the plant for 5 min and exactly find out what is causing the temp in that section to be different. The very 1st pictures you posted, the leaves was not as bad.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
can you put the fan lower and face it upwords, i want some air between the plants. Try that holding method i mentioned and let me know what the results or air circulation, heat are

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

can you put the fan lower and face it upwords, i want some air between the plants. Try that holding method i mentioned and let me know what the results or air circulation, heat are
I could always put the stand back on and point it up? Would that be sufficient. The fan doesn't have to hang. It's not intended to.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
you can try that, i feel that right now the fan is blowing all that hot air from the light and the ballasts towards that single plant. However, the other plants is loving it and i think that's only because its not getting the major heat and it is cooled down a bit. By the time the temps cool down.

LOL! you can also move the one plant and put it below the 1st plant. Problem solved 🤣 🤣 but down the road you might fall into space problem.

You can also leave it the way it is but keep a close look at it. I say that cuz you raised the light and the fan is now the same as the bottom of the light. your exhaust fan will remove the hot air that is trapped at top. Maybe if your tent has another entry from top than you can leave that open or move the exhaust fan to top instead of the side

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

you can try that, i feel that right now the fan is blowing all that hot air from the light and the ballasts towards that single plant. However, the other plants is loving it and i think that's only because its not getting the major heat and it is cooled down a bit. By the time the temps cool down.

LOL! you can also move the one plant and put it below the 1st plant. Problem solved 🤣 🤣 but down the road you might fall into space problem.

You can also leave it the way it is but keep a close look at it. I say that cuz you raised the light and the fan is now the same as the bottom of the light. your exhaust fan will remove the hot air that is trapped at top. Maybe if your tent has another entry from top than you can leave that open or move the exhaust fan to top instead of the side
Lol I appreciate the help. Whatever is going to make this first grow go well and learn more for the ones following this one. First of many.

20211206 171344
20211206 171347
Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

At the top right there is a 8 inch hole open for hot air to leave. The humidifier is cool air and I have the one exhaust running out the side. It fits perfect in the 6 inch whole. And 8 is left open at top.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Lol I appreciate the help. Whatever is going to make this first grow go well and learn more for the ones following this one. First of many.
ok great, test that out.

On a separate note, i noticed on one of the picture that you watered the plant. On next watering i like you to do it differently.

Training start as soon as it sprouts and everything you do will effects the plant. at this stage its fairly easy but fun.
from now start training the roots and you do that by watering the outside edge of the leaves towards outside ring. The circle around on the picture shows a example. This will makes the plants roots to start developing and searching for food. Assuming right now you are watering about a litter. Break that litter down to quaters and give it a 20 to 30 mini breaks in between. This allows air to settle into dirt and not compact it down to much. Your final quater should be in the middle. You'll notice that the air in soil will suck the plant down into dirt. If you watch closely and pay attention you actually see the drop. 🤣

I assume you are at 2nd or 3rd node, make sure to top or fin the 5th node.

Nonaturallight

Nonaturallight

ok great, test that out.

On a separate note, i noticed on one of the picture that you watered the plant. On next watering i like you to do it differently.

Training start as soon as it sprouts and everything you do will effects the plant. at this stage its fairly easy but fun.
from now start training the roots and you do that by watering the outside edge of the leaves towards outside ring. The circle around on the picture shows a example. This will makes the plants roots to start developing and searching for food. Assuming right now you are watering about a litter. Break that litter down to quaters and give it a 20 to 30 mini breaks in between. This allows air to settle into dirt and not compact it down to much. Your final quater should be in the middle. You'll notice that the air in soil will suck the plant down into dirt. If you watch closely and pay attention you actually see the drop. 🤣
View attachment 1194821

I assume you are at 2nd or 3rd node, make sure to top or fin the 5th node.
Thanks a bunch for the help. And I'm trying to visualize it. Do I not pour any water with the outer leaves towards the stem? You mean from the end of the furthest leaf, you start a circle and move outward toward the ends of the pot or? Lol

• Haha
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Thanks a bunch for the help. And I'm trying to visualize it. Do I not pour any water with the outer leaves towards the stem? You mean from the end of the furthest leaf, you start a circle and move outward toward the ends of the pot or? Lol
lol, you made it sound more confusing. so from outside ring of the pot, 3 inch in towards the leaves. this leaves a circle in the middle that is not watered. Than on your last quarter you make the inner circle wet. Now the 1 litter is just an example. not sure how much you are watering. How many days since it broke ground?

Top Bottom