My first grow ! Coco/perlite thanks to @ Aqua Man!

• Thread starter 2Bad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeross

mikeross

I suspect those jiffy pucks and transplanting into large containers is leading to possible over watering which is the result of slow growth. I read you've been topping and bending branches along the way but I feel those plants should be bigger. I'm speaking from experience too.

When I first started growing in coco I also would get clones rooted in jiffy pucks and transplant them into solo cups filled with coco. The jiffy pucks always stayed wet while the coco would dry out. At transplant into solo cups I would go 2-3 days before watering, then every other day for like a week before I could water daily. Now I start in rapid rooter and its made a huge difference and I can water daily about 3 days after transplant.

Now that your plants are big and you have an established root ball this isn't an issue but if I were you I'd ditch the jiffy pucks and don't water to runoff until your roots are established when you transplant.

2Bad

2Bad

I suspect those jiffy pucks and transplanting into large containers is leading to possible over watering which is the result of slow growth. I read you've been topping and bending branches along the way but I feel those plants should be bigger. I'm speaking from experience too.

When I first started growing in coco I also would get clones rooted in jiffy pucks and transplant them into solo cups filled with coco. The jiffy pucks always stayed wet while the coco would dry out. At transplant into solo cups I would go 2-3 days before watering, then every other day for like a week before I could water daily. Now I start in rapid rooter and its made a huge difference and I can water daily about 3 days after transplant.

Now that your plants are big and you have an established root ball this isn't an issue but if I were you I'd ditch the jiffy pucks and don't water to runoff until your roots are established when you transplant.
So you’re doing that from clone? Or seed? This is from seed my 3 gallon plants are huge. Plus I specifically chose all indicas

2Bad

2Bad

Sorry I was just making sure, I do agree I have had some issues since it’s my first grow , I do agree I think the “biodegradable” paper on the jiffy’s ruins the roots but other then that I don’t see an issue

2Bad

2Bad

The 1 gallon plants are definetly smaller and if I go smaller pots again I’d do a see of green I’ve Got 4 1 gallon pots and 2 3 gallons which are huge

Moeboi

Moeboi

Started in jiffy pellets transferred to 70/30
Using : flora trio, mykos, and azos
Tent : 4x4
Light : mars hydro FC-4800(480 watt)

View attachment 1151481

3 weeks old :View attachment 1151479

6 weeks old today:

View attachment 1151480

topped a few days ago, pruned and Lst started yesterday.
Will update the grow log in a few weeks!

if anyone has any good indica suggestions with harvest photos drop a pic below!

@Aqua Man u the man, man
Aquaman is da guy ..much respect to him

Moeboi

Moeboi

Sorry I was just making sure, I do agree I have had some issues since it’s my first grow , I do agree I think the “biodegradable” paper on the jiffy’s ruins the roots but other then that I don’t see an issue
I won't use the lil biodegradable cups no more it kept my plants from growing 8 months for my plants to grow..when I clipped I took plant out soil to inspect and they biodegradable cup was stuck to roots keeping them from growing right..

20210912 175411
20210912 175427
20210912 175608
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Germinated seed in water until root appeared then planted straight into 100% Coco in 8 gal. They basically filled those with roots in three weeks. Picture is 23 days from seed. Definitely something going on that is stunting them, picture of plants was day 47 from seed when I flipped, and those definitely were a little stunted themselves, again by overwatering. Fixed by Aqua Man, of course... Be worth finding out as that's a long time to have to veg

0FE84B41 DB88 4481 B2AA C4051B2FAE52
79EF92F0 3BCE 47F4 BEB7 EB70E3FBB2FD
2Bad

2Bad

Germinated seed in water until root appeared then planted straight into 100% Coco in 8 gal. They basically filled those with roots in three weeks. Picture is 23 days from seed. Definitely something going on that is stunting them, picture of plants was day 47 from seed when I flipped, and those definitely were a little stunted themselves, again by overwatering. Fixed by Aqua Man, of course... Be worth finding out as that's a long time to have to veg
Probably a combo of my pot size/ net from jiffy pellets. And first time grower experience plus I have 30 percent coco so I’d imagine my roots have barely any space. Plus I hand water which is only 2 times a day

2Bad

2Bad

H
Those are beautiful plants tho

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Jiffy work well much like RW after transplant need to be mindful of the difference in media. I used to use the large jiffys but the small work better for that reason. I found the rapid rooter holes to big and they were the first time I even had an issue rooting clones......
But then I flipped en over and poked my own holes (since I take small clones) and they work just as well as the small jiffys to me.

I think the smaller the media for rooting clones when transplanting into coco the better..... bit work well for me as long and I flip the rapids upside down and poke my own holes... again only because ei take small clones and having the media tight to the stem is absolutely crucial.

2Bad

2Bad

Jiffy work well much like RW after transplant need to be mindful of the difference in media. I used to use the large jiffys but the small work better for that reason. I found the rapid rooter holes to big and they were the first time I even had an issue rooting clones......
But then I flipped en over and poked my own holes (since I take small clones) and they work just as well as the small jiffys to me.

I think the smaller the media for rooting clones when transplanting into coco the better..... bit work well for me as long and I flip the rapids upside down and poke my own holes... again only because ei take small clones and having the media tight to the stem is absolutely crucial.
Dang wish I knew that. I used the bigger jiffy’s . Oh well ya live an learn<3

NoobJay

NoobJay

I use small jiffy’s also and no issue. What I try to do is water always around the jiffy in the coco and I also hand water 4 times a day X) they all responded super well and starting flower now I am in week 2. Aqua man knows is stuff I always listen or read what he says and my first grow in coco is awesome. Good luck bro and keep up the good work 👍

NoobJay

NoobJay

Also I found potting up is the way to go. I started in jiffy then propagation air pot then should of went 1 gal but went directly to 3 and that was a big mistake. Had to cut back on the watering per day and way feeding twice a day in my propagation pot and I saw a drastic change in the plants growth rate until they filled up the pot. But still with the « how to water coco « from Aqua they grew like MF. In 1 month in a half they were mainline and ready to flower from seed. If I had done 1 gal before the 3 I am certain I would of saved a week or more.

NoobJay

NoobJay

Also I found potting up is the way to go. I started in jiffy then propagation air pot then should of went 1 gal but went directly to 3 and that was a big mistake. Had to cut back on the watering per day and way feeding twice a day in my propagation pot and I saw a drastic change in the plants growth rate until they filled up the pot. But still with the « how to water coco « from Aqua they grew like MF. In 1 month in a half they were mainline and ready to flower from seed. If I had done 1 gal before the 3 I am certain I would of saved a week or more.
15D5A476 5217 442B BA25 A27DA92EB9D8

NoobJay

NoobJay

I use air pots tho for all stages much easier to transplant than fabric but they are on the expensive side but easily reusable. don’t know how long you can reuse a fabric pot. I also use the floraflex saucer to go on top of my pot seem to keep the gnats out and makes the watering easier for me.

Top Bottom