My first grow: Valley OG in Coco w/Canna + other nutes

• Thread starter bloads
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

delamountain

pm not going to go away with plants that bushy and unhealthy and lack of air flow you need a screen to spread that shit out will also help your yield

bloads

bloads

pm not going to go away with plants that bushy and unhealthy and lack of air flow you need a screen to spread that shit out will also help your yield

It's basically gone, Greencure is the shit.

I've got a 18" bahama breeze fan (rated up to 4000 CFM) blowing through the bottom area of my plants now, along with the two 24" oscillating tower fans on the sides, air flow's pretty good.

It was just unusually cold + wet lately in San Diego, hopefully this should be the last of my problems. I'm going to start using spectracide during veg on every plant now, just as a preventative measure (hardware store version of what hydro stores sell, for 1/4 of the price).

O

odankeus

bloads, i see you use those coco baskets, the square ones, if i was you i wouldnt waste your money on them because they just fall apart, if your in sd go to sd hydro for the hook up. I would just use 1 gal bags till you transplant to 3 gals.

bloads

bloads

bloads, i see you use those coco baskets, the square ones, if i was you i wouldnt waste your money on them because they just fall apart, if your in sd go to sd hydro for the hook up. I would just use 1 gal bags till you transplant to 3 gals.

Yeah, i'm not a fan of the big coco basket... seems really flimsy.

The little ones however, are really nice, since you don't need to remove them when transplanting, just put them straight into a larger pot :)

I had bought 4 smartpots already for the 4 smaller clones. Then I went to a dispensary to get some herb, and noticed they had some healthier clones than the 4 I had just bought, so I bought two of those. That leaves me with 6 clones awaiting 4 smartpots, so I just used those large coco baskets for now (the healthier clones had roots already too big for smaller coco baskets)

D

delamountain

awesome you got the pm in check.A sulphur burner works great to.Hope the rest of the grow goes great.

O

odankeus

I've used the large coco baskets in the past with great success, however, they are not reusable so that cost starts to add up in time, thats why i just use bags til i transplant to pots. The spot to go in sd for clones is PNC or PCN (People's Nursery Care, one of the two) on Morena blvd.

bloads

bloads

I've used the large coco baskets in the past with great success, however, they are not reusable so that cost starts to add up in time, thats why i just use bags til i transplant to pots. The spot to go in sd for clones is PNC or PCN (People's Nursery Care, one of the two) on Morena blvd.

Yep, PNC's where i've been going. On the way back I stopped at PHG (Purple Holistic Gardens) for some herb, and they had some quality, well rooted, 10"-18" healthy clones as well, only $10 like PNC, with all the info written down about them (growing habits, nute req's, flowering time, yield, etc.)

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
good luck on your growing venture,i promise it wont be your last!! i'm def gonna be checking to see what the valley does for you!!

bloads

bloads

Unfortunately I'm combatting some nasty wet weather lately here in SD (almost every weekend it seems). I guess I should really invest in a dehumidifier. Right now the moisture is giving me spots of PM that I'm having to greencure away. It seems to be taking a toll on my leaves, but my nugs still seem to be growing strong.

http://img819.invalid.com/img819/9854/003do.jpg

My Black Domina (Afghani Indica x Canadian Ortega crossed with Northern Lights x Hash Plan) is amazing me in veg. It's about a foot tall with up to 8" fan leaves

http://img830.invalid.com/img830/6795/002wqp.jpg

I transplanted a clone of it from soil into in my coco, and it never missed a beat. Its leaves are gigantic. It is getting beyond bushy (should i start trimming the leaves @ the stalk already?). The stems are all thick as hell too, looking very healthy. It smells strongly. My poor nose-palate can best describe it as purple mint eggnog. I've ruined a few leaf blades from excessive rubbing, to get the smell on my fingers :). This is a 50 day flowerer with supposedly knockdown-n-lockdown potency... I can't wait :).

After dealing with the valley OG, this plant's easystreet.

Oh! I'm excited, I just bought/installed a new RO system. I was definitely underwatering my plants before... I had adequate runoff, but I would go way too long between waterings (almost bone dry). Keeping them wet should allow me to maintain healthy beneficial bacteria levels, as well as disallow salt buildup from evaporation (which causes all sorts of bad stuff).

Now I'll also be able to mixup batches of A+B, so they can sit for hours/few-days and be ready for me to use when I need to water. I've noticed that letting my canna A+B sit for hours before I add anything else or PH really matters.

M

mn_northernherb

dang, watching your progress is scaring me...lol. i intend to do a coco run with my roommate at the end of the summer but seeing all the problems you've had is scaring me. the couple hours of waiting after mixing nutrients was something i didnt know about even after months of time spent reading coco grow journals as well as a couple couple cannbis growing books. im sure i would have had the same problems. moreover, now thati think about it, that might have been an issue for me with my outdoor summer grow. i was also jsut mixing the nutes, shaking it up and watering.

glad i came across this thread. i'll be watching your progress! seeing the mistakes other new growers make is probably more helpful than the minor issues ogs have.

bloads

bloads

dang, watching your progress is scaring me...lol. i intend to do a coco run with my roommate at the end of the summer but seeing all the problems you've had is scaring me. the couple hours of waiting after mixing nutrients was something i didnt know about even after months of time spent reading coco grow journals as well as a couple couple cannbis growing books. im sure i would have had the same problems. moreover, now thati think about it, that might have been an issue for me with my outdoor summer grow. i was also jsut mixing the nutes, shaking it up and watering.

glad i came across this thread. i'll be watching your progress! seeing the mistakes other new growers make is probably more helpful than the minor issues ogs have.

Yeah, I can't remember what made me start to let it sit. It was either reading it on the back of the bottle (?!) or mittenmedgrow that turned me onto this. Letting it sit usually means I don't have to use any/much PH down/up... it seems to stabilize it. I also notice there's no oilslick in the feed/runoff water if I do it this way (I think the 'oilslick' appearance is nutrients binding together + becoming unabsorbable, but that's a complete guess).

M

mn_northernherb

do you have any advice or tips for another novice who wants to do coco?

O

odankeus

bloads, if you havent been using RO water the reason why your nutrients are getting locked is because of the chlorine in the water. you should let a tub of water fill and let it sit so the chlorine evaporates then it will be good to use right away. Also in SD and experienced that problem when i first moved here. Also never let your coco get bone dry it not only will cause beneficial bacteria to die, but will start to build up in the bottom of the pots and the reason why you use coco is so that you control ALL of the nutrients and stimulants that are feeding your plant, unlike soil that already comes with stimulants and nutrients. Good luck.

bloads

bloads

do you have any advice or tips for another novice who wants to do coco?

I did a little research before I started growing and chose coco because it's so simple. There's not a lot of mechanical things to purchase/fix/replace as with systems that have water pumps.

The art is in the watering.

bloads, if you havent been using RO water the reason why your nutrients are getting locked is because of the chlorine in the water. you should let a tub of water fill and let it sit so the chlorine evaporates then it will be good to use right away. Also in SD and experienced that problem when i first moved here. Also never let your coco get bone dry it not only will cause beneficial bacteria to die, but will start to build up in the bottom of the pots and the reason why you use coco is so that you control ALL of the nutrients and stimulants that are feeding your plant, unlike soil that already comes with stimulants and nutrients. Good luck.

I've used RO the whole time, but I've only had 3 5-gallon jugs that I constantly had to go refill @ the store. Having a tap in my kitchen now makes it so I can give them the amount of water they need, always. I definitely was letting them dry out WAY too much before, but now having extra water is going to allow me to always have some 'settled' A+B to add additional nutes and pour on them at any time.

bloads

bloads

The black domina is bushing out insanely... I think I'm going to have to throw this into the 12/12 room soon.
http://img847.invalid.com/img847/7113/002sm.jpg

I finally had to drain their trays the other day, and I noticed that the domina's roots had grown through the bottom of the coco pot, to the length of like 2 inches, and grown into the runoff water resevoir :) Roots excelurator is amazing... it has them growing out of the top of my soil and bursting through the bottom of my pots, bright white, and full of fuzzy hair :)

The ultimate blueberry and the diablo OG are starting to take off too. They were very slow starters, but I guess that's to be expected since I topped them the day after I transplanted them (they had minimal roots at the time, as well).

http://img189.invalid.com/img189/4557/003yis.jpg

The lower dead leaves are just the original leaves that went into shock when I topped them prematurely.

I can't tell if the diablo just has naturally strange leaves, or if it's fighting through some salt buildup issues. All in all, these are doing a hell of a lot better than my first run.

S

smirkis

whats the entire nute lineup you run? i live in sd, use tap, let it sit, use canna, and other additives and have had nothing but great results. water to waste, atleast 20%. i test my runoff weekly, ph is never over 6. hard to judge ppm's but my hanna meter never shows over 1700 runoff. im just curious how u ran into so many issues. the plants tell u what they want daily, there in coco

bloads

bloads

http://img843.invalid.com/img843/3972/003mrm.jpg

Going to have to quit being lazy soon and setup my 600w in my flowering room so I can throw these guys into 12/12. 2 Ultimate Blueberry on the left, Black Domina in the middle, and 2 Diablo OG on the right.

http://img28.invalid.com/img28/2451/001kct.jpg

The Black Domina that I put into 12/12 2 weeks ago has grown insanely. 5 gal smartpot

Side note: I tried replacing my canna A+B with H&G A+B... I'm not a fan. I don't like how H&G's A+B's PH is in the mid 4's, whereas Canna's is 5.8. I'll be going back to canna for A+B, but sticking with H+G for the rest of their line. Not sure if I'll stay with cannazyme or use H+G's multi zen. I switched from Cannaboost to Budxl since it's 4x cheaper. I might just replace my enzyme product and roots excelurator with some Fungi Perfecti

bloads

bloads

Looking great man.

Thanks man! :bongsmi:

This round 2 is going so much more smoothly. That Valley OG was a great crash-course/abrupt-learning-curve. It's about 10 days away from harvest right now, but after all of the Greencure I've had to spray to combat my PM, there's a lot of leafburn... nothing the community would really want to see. Also, after spraying with a lot of greencure, it seems my stems become weak and droopy, then they dry like that. My plants look like a hybrid of a weeping willow and a charlie-brown christmas tree. The nugs though, the nugs look nice :rollj:

Top Bottom