my first grow

• Thread starter thegardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jagle

jagle

are they too close cfls you want 2 inchs from the plant, with a 400watt sodium youll want em further away.
kinda cant tell too well how they are doing from the pics hopefully theyy bounce back.

where did you get the 400watt sodium?

thegardener

thegardener

ill post more pic now in a minute so ya can see the extent of whats goin on, there this lad in town who knows a chap who grows for him, i managed to get one of his old light for nothin :d i like hand-me-downs :P well there not near the new light now ill turn it off an get some clear pictures of it all, theyll be up in a few

thegardener

thegardener

right as i said pics :D

we'll start wit the new light, its a bit of a beast now i have to say some whack out of it
02052011389.jpg

the cats like it to hahaa
02052011387.jpg
02052011386.jpg

but on a serious note the ladies look ill since i but them under the light, but first this is how far away from the light they are
02052011388.jpg

is that a good distance?? im thinkin of pullin it fearther away incase thats the issue

but here they are view discression is advised these ladies are sick :(

02052011394.jpg
02052011393.jpg
02052011392.jpg
02052011391.jpg
02052011390.jpg

the light is actually affecting the temp of my computer/office/sitting room sweaatin hahaha

thegardener

thegardener

400Watt HPS killing my plants?? **IMPORTENT**

hey this just happened to day and im fairly worried i got a 400wat hps an stuck it on the plants just over 2ft from the tallest tip, wit in 20 minutes they were showing signs of been ill and now a few hours away they seem even more dyin off, they got waterd just befor the light change,

heres the light an picks of the plants since they were put under it today :( very upsetting
:(

02052011394.jpg
02052011393.jpg
02052011393.jpg
02052011392.jpg
02052011391.jpg
02052011390.jpg
02052011388.jpg

this is my first grow so please be kind :P

any help would be awesome

thanks guys

phenotyper

phenotyper

Those look extremely heat stressed. What is your ventilation like? I'd have air moving between the plants and the light, or they will cook. I'd raise your light so they can get used to it a bit then gradually work up the intensity by moving the light closer.

Are those plants well rooted? Those pots look super dry.

jagle

jagle

sweet free stuff is always appreciated

ya please do would love to see how they are getting on i posted a pic sometime maybe last week on my grow

phenotyper

phenotyper

Also, if this change is occuring rapidly and plants look bad. I'd go ahead and put them to sleep for the night. Water them with a light nutrient solution to about 25% runoff, and maybe even foliar with an extremely light nutrient solution (<300ppms) to get the goods back in the leaves. It really looks like the plants had no water to uptake so they cooked themselves by using whatever water they had left in transpiration trying to keep the heat off. If you have a vigor/root stimulator like Rhizotonic or Roots Excelurator, now would be the time to use it.

EDIT: What soil/mix are you using?

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Questions, what were the temps, what type of light were they getting b4 u added 400hps, and the food u gave them, was that the same ppm as you gave then b4 the new light? Without knowing all this, I would guess a conbination of factors; u probbily had then under floros so a bit of lum shock, plus the food was to hot and mabe the temp added to the issues aswell. (sometimes the food u feed can make them more sensitive to the light/temp but not enough to burn it by itself. so then u add more light and its enough to hurt the plants.)
Good news is that I have had plants come back to life that looked worse. If you dont have to much invested in these plants, I would jus start over,(It seems like plants i have stressed early on dont do as good in the long run) but if u are set on moving foward with these i would do a flush of water and mabe some kelp or vit B (low ppm). If temps r high, get that fixed asap, and untill they get better keep the light a good distance away, 2ft +.

I hope this helps untill someone like seamedian can chime in.

thegardener

thegardener

they are 5 weeks old there an auto flower they were just watered a hour befor the pics were taken, fed from the bottom an top, im goin to move the light up more again, an as for air flow a havent got a fan yet but the front of the cabinate is open an i have all the windows in the room open as a temp fix any other ideas or suggestions?

thanks man

:)

dextr0

dextr0

thegardener u are in good hands. The people who answered know their shit, good people too. I myself would higher the light also. And temperatures are definitely important. Lemme tell u though those plants looked pretty dry in the soil in the first picture. So if u do have high temps, make sure you are keeping the soil almost damn near soaked at all times. Your plants need it and will be using the extra water to keep its leaves full of moisture. This is not to say that u shouldn't get u a little fan and help out. The cooler air u can get to the plants the better (within reason). I like to make sure the cool air is coming from bottom for the plants. This in turn will blow the hot air up and out.

Good luck.

U know that going from a weak light to a strong light sometimes takes adjustment right? I always got it from switching from my CFLs to my CMH. The CMH is a 400w. I dont even use CFLs for vegging because of this. (They call it lumen shock, whether that's appropriate or not idk) I now just go strait CMH. Surprisingly if the babies have been popped under the light, no lumen shock. << How MY grow room does. Who knows what yours would do. Something to think of tho.

thegardener

thegardener

sweet free stuff is always appreciated

ya please do would love to see how they are getting on i posted a pic sometime maybe last week on my grow

the pic are up there now man there lookin worse for wear now thoi :( ill check yours out later man im just headin out fishin for the night :)

jagle

jagle

jesus man sorry about them plants, ya i think 12-18 inchs is the right distance for a sodium to be away from the tops of the plants

man i dunno but im gonna guess, nute problems from the yellow leafs, possibly heat stress, whats your temps and humidity?

id post those pics along with a detailed description of your environment in the plant problems section

thegardener

thegardener

excellent stuff thanks guys a bit of that went over my head but i had been using hesi tnt and they got agood dose of a mild mixture of that befor the change over to the 400watt, befor the HPS they were under 4 cfls so lumm shock sounds like it could be the case, ill have a fan tomorrow anyway an the light is prob 3 feet away now an ive put them to bed for the night, but i have to say there is an emence amount of heat in the room that the box is in,

thanks again guys everyone here is extremely helpfull :)

thegardener

thegardener

jesus man sorry about them plants, ya i think 12-18 inchs is the right distance for a sodium to be away from the tops of the plants

man i dunno but im gonna guess, nute problems from the yellow leafs, possibly heat stress, whats your temps and humidity?

id post those pics along with a detailed description of your environment in the plant problems section

i had already posted in the problems section but i got a message off an admin saying i had to keep everything in here, big naafff if ya ask me i was lookin for help, ive been givin them very little nutes hopfully theyll bounce back if not ill just have to start again :( ggrr i tot a hps would be a good thing except its murdering my plants :P haha

jagle

jagle

looking in your grow space which is a cubbord it seems the temps might be cooking the plants,

whats your temps and humidity?

are you letting the soil fully dry out before watering again, bit too young to give nutes to yet, i would of let them go another week at least before starting them off on 1/4 strenght

thegardener

thegardener

well im back from my time in the bold cornor and the ladies are lookin good :) i got a fan, an the temps are now rickin a nice 70 - 76"F started spraying the plants twice a day and as for the water its just the top of the soil drying out in the pics ive been watering them non stop now, ill post pics in the morning

jagle

jagle

great to hear your back man, been wondering, check out my laddies starting 12/12 tonight woohoo

thegardener

thegardener

great to hear your back man, been wondering, check out my laddies starting 12/12 tonight woohoo

check out the ladies man looking good :) wish i could say the same from mine, well they have bounced back in spectacular form i must say considering i was on "holiday" from the fourm an all advice, but id like to thank every one who has adviced me so far, every little nugget has helpd and added to my every growing knowlage,

and now for the pictures :D
09052011402.jpg
09052011404.jpg
09052011403.jpg
09052011405.jpg
09052011407.jpg
09052011408.jpg
09052011409.jpg
09052011410.jpg

some of the ladies havent bounced back fully yet but most of the plant lost all there fan sets after the great light cock up but i think there doin well, anone else got any ideas??

Top Bottom