My First Grow!

• Thread starter GangaGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GangaGrower

Hi everyone! First I just wanna say this forum has helped me very much on my quest of growing knowledge. For that I am grateful! So I decided I would share with all of you my first ever grow.

Please feel free to ask any questions or supply any comments/concerns you have I will do my best to answer your question and if I don't know I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Details of the setup:

Box- 28"x22"x22" (very small I know!)
Lights- 4x 26w CFL's (had to drop down to 2 for now due to temperature problems)
Intake fan- 80mm nexus silent CPU fan
Exhaust fan- 110mm nexus silent CPU fan
Air flow- 2x 80mm nexus silent CPU fans

DWC setup:

2x 16 quart Rubbermaid totes(4 sites in each)
10 gal aqueon air pump
2x 6" air stones
Black vinyl air hose

Germination:

I started off by getting a Tupperware container and filling it about 3/4 with RO water that I ph'd to 5.7 and soaked 2 rock wool cubes in there for about 3-4 hours. I then took them out and squeezed ever so gently no to ruin the cubes. I placed a seed in the hole in each one and gently pressed them down to the bottom of the hole with a toothpick and covered the hole with just a few fibers from the rock wool cube. They were both placed in an aluminum foil tray with a clear lid(humidity dome).I wrapped the container up in a black shirt and put it in my closet.

48 hours after placed in the humidity done I peeked in on them and didn't notice a difference so I tucked them back away and tried to be as patient as I could.

65 hours since they have been in the rock wool and the 1st one has popped thru!!!

At the 48 hour mark I washed all my hydroton, net cups, and the tote. I ran the lines for my air stones as I wanted to run 2 in each bucket but the pump just was not powerful enough. For right now I'm just going to use 1 tote 1 air pump with 2 air stones. I will soon upgrade to either a bigger air pump or a 2nd air pump the same size I'm just not getting the desired bubbling I would like. I filled the tote with RO water ph'd to 5.7.

After getting the setup ready I monitored it. These are the stats that I got.

Outside room temp- 81F
Inside air temp- 81F
Water temp- 75F
Ph- 5.7
Tds- 16ppm

About 4 hours after the first seedling broke thru the rock wool the 2nd one popped right on out along with it. So I decided to place them in the system.

It was about 11pm or so when I got them in there all cozy and what not so I called it a day.

Day 1(Veg):

I'm running 18/6 light schedule all on a timer.

Got home late from work and check on the girls.

Outside room temp- 83F
Inside air temp- 88F (this concerns me)
Water temp- 83.4F (this concerns me too)
Ph- 7.3 (I'm assuming this is from oxygenating the water with the air stones so I wasn't to worried about this I simply adjusted it back down to 6.0 and will check it tomorrow)
Tds - 55ppm (I'm not sure why this number is rising I will read more on the subject)

To combat the air temp I decided to get an ice pack and place it in front of my intake fan to help blow some cooler air in.

As far as the water temp I did the same thing and just placed a clean ice pack in the res and that dropped the temp to a reasonable 78F.

The temperature has been very high where I live and I'm hoping it won't affect my grow too much but it is proving to be a challenge already on day 1.

The girls are showing obvious signs of growth tho.

Day 2:

Outside room temp- 83F
Inside air temp- 88F (thinking I'm going to need another fan in there)
Water temp- 80F (with ice pack)
Ph- 6.2
Tds - 55ppm

So the girls are looking really good but this temperature issue is really bothering me. Going to pick up a 6" clip on fan asap and see if that helps any.

I figure if the air temp drops then the water temp will also drop keeping me under that 81F death zone.

Pretty sure I was right about the ph being affected by the extra oxygen in the water. But I'm really not sure why the ppm is rising. It may just be that the seedlings are drinking water but I think it may have something to do with my temperature problem. I pulled the ice pack out of the res and it was a bit slimy. Not like really bad but I don't think that is a good sign.

I'm going to do my first res change tomorrow and give them a little bit of cal-mag. Only like 150-200ppm.

I will also fit it with a 2nd small air pumpand clean everything really good.

Well that's where I am for right now I will post an update every few days for you guys and if you have any suggestions I am more than welcome to them.

And for the pics!!!
My first grow
My first grow 2
My first grow 3
My first grow 4

More coming soon!

At this point in time I'm actually about 21 days into the grow the journal will catch up quickly!

Thanks and any input at all would help!

G

GangaGrower

Day 3 of veg:

Today I did my first res change. Only took about 30 min. I drained and cleaned the res and refilled with RO water. This time I added the following:

2 ml cal-mag
1 drop super thrive

I'm pretty sure they are still a bit to small to add any real nutes. I will start them on the 3 part gh nutes on the next res change.

After the res change I took my normal measurements and they were:

Outside air temp: 78F
Inside air temp: 81F
Water temp: 75.1F
Ph: 6.0(was adjusted to 6.0 after cal-mag/super thrive were added)
Tds: 143ppm(plain Ro water was 16ppm)

So far everything is looking okay. I'm hoping the temps stay down. I've started running the ac in my house all day so I think that is helping. Seems if the outside air temp is down that equates to the inside air temp which controls the water temp. Kinda figuring it all out but I have my ice packs on stand by if needed.

So these junk air stones from the pet store arnt doing me very good... I've gotten 2 duds and I've broke 2 so now I only have 1 in the res which isn't giving me the bubbling effect I want. I tried a bigger air pump and it helped but it was just too loud. If anyone can suggest an air pump that will give me a good cfm rating and still be quiet I would appreciate it. But for now I'm thinking about going with 2 smaller air pumps and getting a big soda can air stone for each of them from the hydro store tomorrow and see how that does.

That's all for today I will pop some pics and give you all an update tomorrow!

And please guys if I am doing anything wrong or if you can give any suggestions it would be more than appreciative.

G

GangaGrower

Day 4 of veg:

Ok guys so beginner mistake... I should of added the cal-mag to the RO water from the start but I didn't. Was watching some videos and found one for magnesium deficiency which explained that it will cause purplish stems and leaves. I thought it was normal for the stem to be purplish at first but now I know it's not. After adding the cal-mag the purplish on one plant has totally gone away were all green.

That plant has its first root coming out of the bottom of the net pot and the other one doesn't yet. I can see many coming out of the Rockwell but they haven't reached down far enough yet. That one is still kind of purple. I'm considering top feeding it but I think it will catch up when the roots do.

Measurements:

Outside temp- 73 F
Inside air temp- 79 F
Water temp- 74.4 F
Ph-6.7(adjusted back down to 5.7)
Tds- 148ppm

Seems my ppm are not bad for the moment I will continuously monitor them.

G

GangaGrower

Ok so I'm just going to jump ahead at this point basically all I did was keep my eye on them. I checked in every day and made sure they looked okay. I did res changes every 5-7 days and gradually started adding nutes.

This is about the point I started adding nutes.

The first round went as follows:

3ml cal-mag
1 drop super thrive
1ml micro
1ml gro
1ml bloom

That gave me a ppm of around 275 I believe. I motored it for the next 5-7 days until the next res change and the ppm's stayed pretty consistent.

G

GangaGrower

Sorry for the fuzzy pic at around this point I topped them it was around the 5th node for each maybe the 6th on the bigger one but I topped them at the same time.

I also did a red change the same night and gave them a stronger dose

5 ml cal-mag
2 drops superthrive(meant to only use 1 but shouldn't hurt)
2ml micro
2ml gro
2ml bloom

Alright guys this is where I'm at currently. I will keep you updated and answer any questions take any pics you guys want just let me know.

I will be doing a res change again within the next couple days with a nute ratio for rapid veg growth.

The temp has dropped so it has not been a problem at all. Everything is lookin good and I've kept monitoring it. My current Ppm is around 370 and growth is very nice.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
That purple stem on the seedling is genetic. Not a deficiency.
Looking good.
Best of luck.
Peace

G

GangaGrower

Are you sure? They are supposedly the same strain. Both critical (fem) from 420-seeds.

G

GangaGrower

Just did a red change. Root growth is crazy I should of took a pic for you guys!

Nutes added:

4ml cal-mag
1 drop super thrive
3ml micro
2ml gro
1ml bloom

Nutes are for rapid veg growth so hopefully these girls start to blow up. They are getting big so I lowered them from the light and I'm going to be topping them a few more times this week so I can get about 8-10 tops per plant. Next plan is to throw a strong net over them I'm just trying to figure out how to build one to the top of the lid so red changes won't be as much of a pain. Any suggestions would be awesome !

And for the pics!

As I'm sure you notice I have a retard leaf lol not sure what that's from maybe it got burnt or something by the light but it seems as it's just that one leaf.

Also temps have stated down so I added the other 2 lights back and everything is doing good.

The ppm's came to 385 which seemed a bit low. I may end up adding another half ml of each nute but we'll see I know less is more when it comes to nutes.

More to come soon!

C

Chance Last

Lookig good Ganja!
Just did a red change. Root growth is crazy I should of took a pic for you guys!

Nutes added:

4ml cal-mag
1 drop super thrive
3ml micro
2ml gro
1ml bloom

Nutes are for rapid veg growth so hopefully these girls start to blow up. They are getting big so I lowered them from the light and I'm going to be topping them a few more times this week so I can get about 8-10 tops per plant. Next plan is to throw a strong net over them I'm just trying to figure out how to build one to the top of the lid so red changes won't be as much of a pain. Any suggestions would be awesome !

And for the pics!

View attachment 563799
View attachment 563800

As I'm sure you notice I have a retard leaf lol not sure what that's from maybe it got burnt or something by the light but it seems as it's just that one leaf.

Also temps have stated down so I added the other 2 lights back and everything is doing good.

The ppm's came to 385 which seemed a bit low. I may end up adding another half ml of each nute but we'll see I know less is more when it comes to nutes.

More to come soon!

Nutes added:

4ml cal-mag
1 drop super thrive
3ml micro
2ml gro
1ml bloom

And for the pics!

View attachment 563799
View attachment 563800

More to come soon!
I am reading your info and appreciate this bc i am about to start some seeds myself for first time with ones I actually paid for. Alsois Critical Kush ,Royalflush,Burmese kusk and bubblegummer from attitude SB..I like your method but but only one question really. .? why so much calmag? Is that recommended dose? THANK YOU FOR DETAILED INFO BRO! GOOD TO KNOW

Top Bottom