My frostbox 2 ton mini split

• Thread starter cheech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheech

I thought I'd just share that it was super easy to install. I lucked out and bought one for 1k less than msrp on ebay. So it cost me 1600 shipped.... I can't see myself paying more than that to be honest.

My only gripe is that the thermostat is not too accurate in the sense that if I have it set for 80, it is usually 74-76. I often have to push a button on the controller to get the unit to 're calibrate' to the desired temperature.

Also, there is no day/night thermostat, and that was advertised. Aside from that it runs super quiet, and I'll feel very comfortable running it this winter.

I

irobotsd

Nice. I have also installed this unit last month. It was really simple overall and sits nicely both inside & out. Very quiet. Same issue concerning thermostat & remote. Would like to connect a wall thermostat with nicer timer.. It's pretty much running non stop at this point. Keeps room at a very comfortable temp. How much would you guess was the additional $ energy bill in the summer for this 2 ton unit?

C

cheech

I've only been running it for 2 months, so I can't really say about the energy savings. My last spot was running window units, and had a smart meter. I think the smart meter was raping me on my utility bills, but won't be sure for another few months.

That's some bull shit though about advertising a day/night thermostat - on the box no less. It is awesome how quiet it runs though.

C

cheech

lol. Went to the frostbox web site to get their number, and apparently they are out of business!! I wanted to ask if the refrigerant stayed in the line set when i disconnected it, because i want to move it to my veg room and get a 4 ton for the flower room. Would suck if it needed to be recharged - defeats the purpose of being stealth with plug and play.

A

AlexsFriend

Buy name Brand LG Mitsubishi. There is a reason it was cheap. I use LG they sell them at Pex supply online i payed 1680.00 in the winter shipped and its 22,000 cool 23,000 heat.

C

cheech

It's still working great actually. I had an issue where the inside unit had ice all over the fins, but I ran the fan for 15 mins and it all melted. Happened 3x over 4 months, presumably because of high humidity. 2 ton unit keeping 7200 watts at 78 F steady and ran steady the entire winter. I'm still very happy with the purchase. If I knew how to charge a ac unit I would for sure have gone the LG, Mitsu, Friedrich route.

C

cheech

Spoke too soon I guess. The blower on the indoor unit stopped working. The outdoor condenser was still running so I put two 8'' inline fans ducted at the intake and it's blowing cold air, so it's definitely just the fan/blower or a relay or some bullshit. Maybe the circuit board, I really don't know, and am not sure which direction to take to get this fixed. Wish frostbox wasn't out of business.

Natural

Natural

that sucks bro..maybe you can find an A/C guy that would be willing to tinker with it.

As a side note..I thought there were more co.s putting out pre-charged units these days..hmm??

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

lol. Went to the frostbox web site to get their number, and apparently they are out of business!! I wanted to ask if the refrigerant stayed in the line set when i disconnected it, because i want to move it to my veg room and get a 4 ton for the flower room. Would suck if it needed to be recharged - defeats the purpose of being stealth with plug and play.

If you disconnect the lineset you have to pump the refrigerant back down into the compressor or it will vent to the atmosphere.

C

cheech

Yea Natural. For a little less than 3k there's a 3ton minisplit with a line set included on ebay, and the unit comes charged with refrigerant. Apparently you just run the lineset, open up the refrigerant, then purge the line for a few seconds in place of vacumming.

Didn't know you had to pump in back into compressor, I'll have to look into that.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Yea Natural. For a little less than 3k there's a 3ton minisplit with a line set included on ebay, and the unit comes charged with refrigerant. Apparently you just run the lineset, open up the refrigerant, then purge the line for a few seconds in place of vacumming.

Didn't know you had to pump in back into compressor, I'll have to look into that.
I got my 3 ton for 2300 through my hydro shop
its an Aura.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
about 6 months, works great.
cools 8kw bare bulbs.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
I had a 2 ton Frostbox. It constantly froze over so I had my AC guy come dump and re-charge the lines. That evening it froze over again. After we took it apart we figured out that the compressor was taking a hardly working anymore and that there was a lot of oil in the line set. The compressor is no longer made and Frosbox is now defunct...I wonder why? Their units are absolute garbage.

I bought a 2 ton Fujitsu mini split and it's working absolutely perfect so far. It's smaller, silent, energy efficient and has a remote. Frostbox had none of these much needed features. I do wish I had spent a little more and purchased the 2.5 ton unit though.

Top Bottom