My germination method....

• Thread starter ograskal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ograskal

This is how I germ test all of my seeds before they go out...When i germinate I do not soak the seeds in water first or put them in a moist paper towel like some folks....Instead I put them directly into the soil around one quarter of an inch to half inch max deep....I then soak the soil real good with water and place them under the T5's to keep them warm.....I spray the top of the soil with water every once in a while to make sure that the soil doesnt dry out....They break through the soil in around 2.5 - 4 days.....I have very good germ rates this way.....Just straight into the soil like mother nature intended....I used to soak my seeds first in water but i think if you keep them in the water too long they could drown...I also have never had to scuff any seeds yet either....All seeds are germ tested this way with excellent results....~ogr

B

BlowCrack

Yes Sir, Thats the way I used to do it...and thats the way I will start Back!

L

livinglegend

i think people use the paper towel method cause they cant stand waiting for the seed to sprout. haha
i used to go straight for the dirt back in the day, i really dont know why i started with the shot glass?

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

K.I.S.S. ... plop them right into the soil.. as intended by the natural way of things.. I usually soak them then drop em in the soil.. next set of beans I will definitely put straight into the soil.. Thanks for the tip OGR.

OLD FLA STONER

OLD FLA STONER

Last seeds i germed i just popped seeds from the fridge in to pre soaked rooters with 100% success!!

bigherb

bigherb

Farmer
OG

your info is much appreciated

ime paper towel method n 2 -4 days they sprout

but im def gonna do st8 to da soil in future

seems they might hav an earlier start as oppose to other metods

natures way is worked this far 10,000 yrs lata

if it anint broke then dont fix it

F

fuzzy

Thats the way ive been doing it for years.You can still transplant to hydro or whatever.Nice 1 O!peace,fuzzy almost 100% germ rate (if seeds r good)

S

Smokey1InSoCal

I put mine about 1/2 inch down inside a Rapid-Rooter and it worked just fine, in two weeks they were ready to go in the ground.

dayday

dayday

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks for the info, i use paper towel but i will try this way for sure...

K

koopa troopa

fo sho raskal, i've germed in soil with great results, usually 100%. so far the jiffy's are doing good for me.

N

n0dn4rb

having had dismal results from the paper towel method and soaking I have started going straight to the soil and my germ rates increased drastically and couldn't have said it better OGr...

just popped a couple of your white x bubba and og x bubba - looking forward to what comes from these.....K+

bigdawg

bigdawg

you can't beat mother nature!! still waiting for some erkle seeds to pop in some dirt pucks!! I do know a little warmth from a light sure helps.:flower

D

djandrewacosta

OGR thanks for the info! And yeah i agree you def. can't beat mother nature!!

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
:rasta2:Just dropped some Fire x Bubba and SD IBLS in the dirt lastnight!

C

chranotik

well i just tried this method with 2 raskal og's, 3 julius caesars, and one ssx. it's been about 5 days now and so far only 1 raskal og and the ssx are above ground.. looks like the other 4 wont make it :( So this has to be the worst germ rate i've had so far. Wonder if i'm doing something wrong....

O

ograskal

Damn bro...They should have popped up by now...Are you keeping the soil warm and moist?...Did you plant the seeds NO MOre than 1/2 inch?...~ogr

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
Just dropped 5 sd ibls and 5 OG x Bubba using same method...all of em popped within day 2-3.. 100% Germ rate!

C

chranotik

I put them about 1/2 inch to 1 inch max under the soil.. barely covering it up with a bit of perlite and ocean forest. The ssx/raskal og was above ground in like 2 or 3 days. It's been about 7 days now and i'm pretty sure the other ones aren't going to make it.. i've been spraying the top of the soil keeping it nice and moist but i'm sure its too late now. I usually get like a 99-100% germ rate in paper towels.. so i'll probably switch back to that next time. The only difference is you seem to skip a couple days planting directly into soil which can be useful.

O

ograskal

I think you may have planted them too deep...And then when you watered them they could have went even deeper down into the soil....Thats why I plant mine 1/2 inch MAX...How were you keeping the soil warm?....~ogr

C

chranotik

Yeah i was wary of that and tried to not put them down in the soil too far, and when i watered i tried to do it extremely gently as to not push them further down in the soil. I've had that issue before and they never make it above ground. For temps i let the room get up above 80 when i'm vegging because i use co2. Actually one of the JC's just popped above ground today, so i'm not giving up on the other ones yet.. sprayed the top of the soil again just a while ago, but it seems the rest of it is drying out too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom