My germination method....

• Thread starter ograskal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ludacris

ludacris

i put mine in an eye lenses case, with a soggy roll of bandage....

H

Herbiraptor

Been doing the papre toweld with varying rates - will give this a try

R

realtalk

I use the paper towel method also.. Will try the 1/2 inch method.

S

sna8iz

I really never understood any other method than THIS ONE! Thanks OG for setting me striaght!!!

20north

this the only safe way i can think of besides using expanding coco/dirt pucks or w/e they are

ride on i like this i always question methods

E

edub30

Quick question Raskal. If I were to germ in a perlite/vermiculite mix, what mix ratio do you think would be the best to make sure I have the right amount of moisture and air for the seedling? Your help will be appreciated and thanks for your genetics!!!

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Agree 100% OG, did a test where I soaked 2 beans and directly planted 2 others and guess what, 2 straight in dirt were up in 24-36 hours, 2 that got soaked drowned on me

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Straight to soil always works for me. Just did the same for some kale, broccoli, bok choi, and beets - 100% success rate

M

moneeez

Ive had very good results with the paper towel method, very reliable method

friction

friction

Raskal i bought a pack of white fire and and a pack of firegum here and ive used your method i planted 5 whitefires and 6 firegum its day 6 now and only 1 white fire has broken through(gutted) but 4 fire gum have, which i dont see as being a bad rate, do you think i should have scuffed the white fire as they were some of the biggest and toughest looking seeds ive ever used?, im gonna pop the rest whitefires asap, so your help would be appreciated

O

ograskal

I've never had to scuff a seed before but go ahead and give it a try...I got damn near 100% on all the White Fires i germed and never had to scuff yet...Cant hurt to try though...Just make sure the seeds are only under the soil 1/2 inch max and keep WARM and Moist at all times...~ogr

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
my method

i take a paper towel and fold it in 1/2 twice dampen paper towel until saturated place seeds to be germinated between layers of towel. if you have more than one type of seed use different layers for each kind, use 2 or more paper towels if necessary. drain any excess water. you don't want the towels dripping wet, but a little less is good. find a good plastic container-cool whip container etc. clean container and rinse with hydron peroxide let dry . poke a couple holes in lid 3-4 will do. place paper towels in container and place container in fairly warm area(70-80 degrees f) and check 24 hrs. later and every 12 hrs. after.keep towels moist add dpops of water as necessary seeds should sprout in 1-3 days if not sprouted in 5 days add a 50/50 3% hydrogen peroxide and water this should jump start old seeds. just redampen seeds with the 50/50 peroxide water mixture and put back in container. i usually get close to 100% germ rate within 1-3 days. carefully take little shoots and plant with root stem down about 1/8" - 1/4" deep under top of medium to be grown in.

good luck
mal

friction

friction

cheers raskal, i just thought of the scuff because they look like some hard shells, im still hoping that another 1 or 2 white fires will show there faces today the others only broke through yesterday so theres still hope. pz

R

R1ridah

I've scuffed beans before but that was on beans that were over 14 years old. Newer beans typically do fine with the glass of water and the towlette method or just the latter. The only prob, is the possible moisture related issues with oversoaking and temps. whether too cold or too hot blah blah...

P

peabody

have had very good luck with perlite n vermiculite mix . just wet it down plant keep it under a small cfl close helps to heat up the top 1/4 of a inch or so mist more often then with dirt seems to dry out a little quicker. this method has served me with75% or better results. have some Humbolt express to run from billy goat . will give your tried an true method a go OGR. an yes i agree your gear is top notch . just never lucky enough to get the AUCTION WON sign . YET!!!!! be safe peabody.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I have had the best germ rate with pro-mix. I tried a lot of plugs and etc..But my best luck has been with 100% pro-mix planted 1/4" deep with taproot pointed down. Straight H20.

I did pre-soak my White Fires until they sank. It didn't take long at all....leaving me thinking scuffing is not needed to help H20 penetrate the shell???...I wonder if it will help them come up sooner or need less help getting free once up though. All three White Fires needed an assist. Anyway, I put one in the mix and two in a paper towel. I usually don't paper towel but wanted a picture of the pop...They all came up on the 4th day and are similar in size.

I put one in a Root Riot plug 5 days ago and it did not come up yet.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I am germinating some whitefire and erklefires at the moment. getting ready for outdoor.

Illmind

Illmind

Seems as though the fire hybrid seeds seem to be large and hard shelled. I always have 100% germ rates and have them break ground without presoak with 1.5-5 days max. I use rooter or rockwool I soak briefly in spring water for 2 mins once soaked I place pointy side down in rooters. Keep heated and give small waterings every other day. I soak cubes in spring water I tested the towel method vs mine and gave the towel a 7 day head start and my str8 in rooter method caught up. So germing has a lot to do with vigor IMO.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
Seems as though the fire hybrid seeds seem to be large and hard shelled. I always have 100% germ rates and have them break ground without presoak with 1.5-5 days max. I use rooter or rockwool I soak briefly in spring water for 2 mins once soaked I place pointy side down in rooters. Keep heated and give small waterings every other day. I soak cubes in spring water I tested the towel method vs mine and gave the towel a 7 day head start and my str8 in rooter method caught up. So germing has a lot to do with vigor IMO.

nice bro~ yeah i decided to try the OGR style putting the bean right into soil. pretty good results but i guess its just better to go with the germ method that u are comfortable with. if your gonna be nervous and check every hour for them to pop up, you might be better with the paper towel method. the paper towel method had never failed me. iv seen people have problems with that method only when too much water was applied and the beans sat in too much water for like 2 or 3 days and browned up. never happens to me because i check my beans every 12 hours or so. but to get back on track, OGR's method does work and the thing iv noticed is when my beans do pop outta soil using this method they have already shed there shells witch is nice because they seem to mature a lil bit faster then when i do the paper towel then into soil method.....just thought i would post my trails and tribulations with these methods:)

A

azmatis

was going to put my seeds in paper towel, now that theyve popped
im going to put em right the soil, got them in a dome with a warmer
underneath, with some t-5s
and a mix of coco noir, a little promix and some worm castings
after they flip ill use subs soil mix
thanx og
much respect
azmatis

Latest posts

Top Bottom