My germination method....

• Thread starter ograskal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
psbn

psbn

I've never had to scuff a seed before but go ahead and give it a try...I got damn near 100% on all the White Fires i germed and never had to scuff yet...Cant hurt to try though...Just make sure the seeds are only under the soil 1/2 inch max and keep WARM and Moist at all times...~ogr

gotta admit im not a fan of scuffing..seeds wanna pop! so im totally down with the straight into soil method works everytime!

G

Green Cali

hey ogr, do you use any ferts in the water u spray with while starting seeds.

S

sweetstickylady

I do the same thing...... right in the soil they go... not to deep barely covered... mist daily until popped usually in 1or 2 days

W

wicked22

My favorite germination method is putting them in a moist paper towel. Then I take the paper towel and put it into a tuber ware and seal it with a lid. Then I usually stick it under some cfls to keep it warm. So far I have had pretty much 100% germination with this method. I don't use soil otherwise I would probably just put them right into the soil.

J

JoeDirt

I've found that straight into the soil works better for me,JoeDirt.

Mother Nature still does her job just fine.

(I believe I had the paper towels too wet when I used that method)

Never have scuffed the beans but never really needed to.

I also believe they are stronger when they are germed in soil.

I had twelve female Afghans in too small containers that I had let get pollinated (plenty of prime seeds) but had neglected.

Took them out of flowering and I let them re-vege for about three weeks.

Intending to re-pot them I just put the too small containers in a five gallon bucket full of good moist soil and by the time I got around to dealing with them there were probably at least two dozen seeds that had fallen into the soil and were now perfect seedlings that are vegetating now.

I gently stripped the seeds off the twelve females and stuck'em back in the flower room a month ago.

Most were about 18" tall and plenty old..(neglected)

They are flowering up a storm right now.

I sampled some popcorn buds from a "rusty" one and I have to say I love it.

It has a good clean Sativa effect that makes you want to do a hundred things at once.

My first post here but you have to start somewhere......I like this place !

Only have two breeds going / Afghan and Bubblegum.

Test  settings on Canon 3 011 Medium
Test  settings on Canon 3 004 Medium
P

perriogkushgrow

I just started to germ a seed I found in a batch of Kens Pure Og Kush from Patient to Patient. Hopefully it germs cause my friend found it in his grinder.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
I'm gonna give this a try next time thanks OGR for the tip

HighBurn8

HighBurn8

I scuff my seeds, place em in a cup of water, add an air stone for aeration.

seeds crack within 24 hours everytime. ...

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I germed the "old fashioned" way described in the OP for years. Switched over to paper towel/water method because, at the time, it seemed like a breakthrough technique- one guy called for Fuji water and paper towels, (had to be "Brawny") and I remember thinking that this guy must really have his shit together. Bottom line- I try to emulate the optimum conditions that nature would provide for seed germination and that would not be a water substrate. Not saying positive results can't be gained that way- just saying that nature can provide a better environment for a seed than an errant paper towel in a puddle of water. My guess is that I've had as many duds from water germs as I have from soil starts-- prolly more w/ water germs if I include the ones that didn't make it once in the soil.

phenophinder

phenophinder

5/5 on my most recent pop, good love all around for these beans

H

hedster44

OGR, Thanks for the info bro. I have always had a real good germ rate from the paper towel method. I actually just germed 20 assorted beans for the outdoor season a couple weeks ago with a 100% germ rate and all popped within two days, but I'm definitely going to try sprouting some straight from soil next time. Thanks again man.

feildofdreams

feildofdreams

Have tried the towel and other methods but I prefer to just pop em in the dirt with t-5s or a set of t-12's. Actually,.. this is the first year I had two no shows but on the norm, 100% come up.

G

GettinHeadband

Fiji water superstitions eh,:harvest: Well, there's lots of chemicals in tap water no arguments here. If bleach kills seeds, chlorine can't be a whole lot different. If you only use bottled water to feed the plants that would rock.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I was in the middle of some major planting last night when this thread came to mind. I just re-read my post ^^ and want to: 1) Thank OGR for laying his method out for us. Missed that 1st time around. 2) make certain that "old fashioned" isn't misconstrued. Planting a seed in soil is a time honored technique but germinating w/ T-5s is anything but old fashioned.

I have an RO water superstition but didn't realize there was also a Fiji, (not Fuji, my bad) one.

I've gone to sheet metal surfaces for my germ cart/shelves. The metal holds some of the radiant heat given off by the t-5s that would be otherwise lost. It keeps the soil temp a bit warmer which is a good thing.

I push a wooden skewer, (ie for shish-ka-bobs) down 1/2" and rotate it a couple of times to shape the hole like an inverted cone. I scoot the seed off of the edge of the hole w/ the skewer and 8-9 times out of ten, the seed will drop in the right way w/ the root side down. I'm sure there are 100 ways of getting a seed to properly drop into a hole- this is just the way I do it.

C

Cartoon Head

Seeds going straight into the ground need to be root up coz the root bends over and down when it sprouts,if you plant root end down the when it sprouts it bends first up the it will adjust and bend the other way,downwards.If you germinate out of soil first,how much root is sticking out of the seed when you plant determines at what angle the seed should be placed.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

What kind of soil are you using ?
Here's a pic of the raw materials I use in my my medium, teas, ferments and foliar. Missing from photo: citric acid, yucca based spreader, endomycos (H2O soluble), baccilli herd, 0-13-0 Bat Guano (mid-late flower only.)

NuteMenu mstr

Top Bottom