My Journey Into a Volcano

• Thread starter PpmOver9000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Hello everyone. There doesn't seem to be many threads on rockwool grows compared to other mediums. As I track my progress I hope to crowdsource knowledge from fellow RW growers along the way. RW is the only medium I've ever grown in and am far from mastering. I was part of a larger team 3 years ago, mostly in charge of veg and clones. This is my first time back at it since then, this time with no mentors alongside of me. To cap the downside of having no experience in flower I decided to go with a 1 part nutrient. I hope I can share and seek advice along the way, especially in flower 😄.

Some basic info:
  • Space: 9x9x10 Tent no CO2
  • Environment: Climate controlled with VPD in mind
  • Light: Gavita 1700e x4
  • System: Top feed DTW (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V cemchris/dirtbag)
  • Food: Hydroponic Research V+B
  • IPM: Need advice! (Was not a strong suit at my previous grow and we paid the price. I would like to avoid that pain lol)
  • Strain: 36 Original Glue's from seed (Nirvana and Advanced Genetics) - was a bit eager to get started and didn't do much vetting on the breeders, so good luck me? lol
The room is 8 days since transplant and about 30 days since germination. Had a slow start getting used to growing from seed for the first time but things are rollin' now. Here is 2 photos of my setup, cheers everyone.

My journey into a volcano
My journey into a volcano 2
Last edited:
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Looks great man you can add another row in there 😁 youre gonna want it once you see the nice frost buds the gavita puts out. And it being full spectrum the nodes stack. The rockwool is the nicest when it comes to allowing air to the roots. I feed mine daily.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Looks great man you can add another row in there 😁 youre gonna want it once you see the nice frost buds the gavita puts out. And it being full spectrum the nodes stack. The rockwool is the nicest when it comes to allowing air to the roots. I feed mine daily.

Yea was originally gon go with 4x8 tables but wanted some room to work so did 3x6, you're probably right going to regret it haha. Yea I've seen on a few posts that the gavitas keep the plants pretty short so that's good news considering the stretch on glues. You're also in RW and using these lights?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Yeah i got a LED grow. 2 gavitas over a 4x8 tray. In cubes on pads. I fit about 25 plants a table.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Yeah i got a LED grow. 2 gavitas over a 4x8 tray. In cubes on pads. I fit about 25 plants a table.
Sweet, do you have a journal or anything on here I can follow? Almost identical! I didn't want to have too many plants cuz was unsure if my pump could handle that many drippers since it's just a submersible in a 55gal. What do you use for your setup?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Floraflex system with caps and multiflow bubbler to evenly water then. But ya i have pump in 40 gallon feeds 3 tables so its perfect. I just have to get a stronger pump. To many plants. Lol trial and error.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Before i added my 2nd light
I saw you post about IPM in another thread, what's your regimine look like? That's something I need to get on but don't know if it's supposed to be geared for RW specifically or what.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

I just mix the ipm of my choice in a sprayer and hit it twice a week until week 3 of flower. Im sure you can do a root drench but in rockwool not much bugs in the rockwool you have to worry more about mites and spiders. Just drench the plant and it should eliminate your problem. Sometimes it helps to get good bug spray and spray around the outside of the tent if its an issue for you.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Not an issue atm but have definitely been in that battle and would like to not do it again lol. Cool thanks for the input.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Look at the nutrients you give your plants and see if they have a ipm and use it as a preventative. Even if you dont have any problems it prevents it. Its easier to spray and keep it clean than tear it down and lose a harvest.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Yea for sure, don't want to wait for webs to start shopping haha. Im using veg+bloom, they don't have an IPM product. I have some of the marrone bio line on the way; grandevo, venerate, and regalia. Another user on here recommends it. Although I have a hard time filtering the nonsense from the real when it comes to IPM, but he seemed to know his shit. I think it was @burnedhaze? but his names not showing up so I dunno. Probably just going to rotate those weekly when it arrives. What do you use?

sshz

sshz

How high are you lights?

What temps/humidity are you running at?

What's the temps/pH of the water you are using in the system?

co2 yes or no?

You're off to a great start.......... I jumped off of r.w. and hydro because it's such an unforgiving system. One fuck up and all could be ruined. I'll be checking in regularly. Also, the issue with all the Glue strains is they tend to hermie so keep a sharp eye out early in flowering.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

How high are you lights?

What temps/humidity are you running at?

What's the temps/pH of the water you are using in the system?

co2 yes or no?

You're off to a great start.......... I jumped off of r.w. and hydro because it's such an unforgiving system. One fuck up and all could be ruined. I'll be checking in regularly. Also, the issue with all the Glue strains is they tend to hermie so keep a sharp eye out early in flowering.

Oops didn't see your reply, thanks!

Lights are 4 feet from the top of the tallest plants, currently at 60%. 22klux/450par
77F/65RH
Res temp always sits at 68F, im in a basement. Ph is 5.0 for the last week because syringe samples continue to be in the 6.5-6.8 range
no co2, the exhaust fan is always on at low setting and I have 2 of the passive intakes open on the other side

Yea I chose RW and glue because it's literally the exact same medium and strain I grew 3 years ago when I was just a small part of a team, so I was attempting to make it as familiar as possible for myself doing this for the first time alone. I will def keep an eye out for any hermie issues thank you!

As mentioned above I keep having the ph in the cube be 6.5 when I take syringe samples, I am adjusting by lowering feed ph but maybe something other than the feed ph is the issue?

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

I won’t be much help in the roockwool dept., it’s just been so long. All I really remember is soaking them first in like a 5.2 pH solution and then keeping the pH around 5.6-5.8. I didn’t have to do much more than that, other than keep the reservoir fairly cool. What fertilizer line are you using?

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

I won’t be much help in the roockwool dept., it’s just been so long. All I really remember is soaking them first in like a 5.2 pH solution and then keeping the pH around 5.6-5.8. I didn’t have to do much more than that, other than keep the reservoir fairly cool. What fertilizer line are you using?

Hydroponic Research Veg+Bloom. Using their base as well as their bennies and calmag. Had good results with it 3 years ago and wanted to keep it simple for now before I dive into tweaker territory. I think i'll be better off once they go on drippers, my dryback cycles might be messing with the swings. I dunno hopefully someone currently in rw can chime in.

Thanks @Madmax I def have some ocd tendencies haha, i've learned that sometimes it can be a double edged sword when growing. Sometimes you gotta let things be but I'll tinker for no reason..will try to be better with that haha.

Top Bottom