My Lady's Won't Flower

• Thread starter Jenny420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jenny420

Jenny420

I've grown MJ for many years and have encountered about every obstacle out there.
Recently I had some Panama Reds that I grew from clones. Vegged for 8 weeks and then tried to flower.
These were definitely females and were properly cared for, but they failed to produce any buds.
Details -
1,000 watt HPS and hydro (1,600 ppm and 6.2 pH for veg and 1,800 ppm and 5.5 pH for flower).
76-78 degree rooms, 50 -55% humidity, fans, fresh air room circulation, GH nutes.
The ladies reached 48" in veg and a total of 90" after 10 weeks of bloom. Big, beautiful, no bugs or mold. But never even tried to flower. At all.
All the other strains, OG Kush, Blu Dream, AK-47, and Hindu Kush all in the same room flowered perfectly. Yet 4 Panama Reds did nothing.
All intelligent input is welcome.
Jen

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@Jenny..........Be patient..... and dont chop or give up. This strain is easily a 14-16 week strain. It originated in an area only a few degrees above the equator. Once flower initiates and you are able to stay the course, you will be rewarded depending on who's cut it is and how much of the original gene pool is till left, you will have one of the best sativa stones out there. Not for the faint of heart or those prone to paranoia or have heart issues. Very racy, cerebral and some light visuals. Very much a headstash smoke and not a cut you would keep for cash cropping.

Here is some information that may assit you when dealing with equatorial strains. Again patience is the hardest part.

Hope this helps.

Inducing Sativa

After many years of first-hand experience breeding herb indoors as well as outdoors, I am of the opinion that the two most influential factors involving phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are the photoperiod (hours of light per day) and the angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.

Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica dominant phenotype is the traditional 18/6 veggie cycle and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt, however poor, to mimic the Indica-producing photoperiod. It is my belief that this light cycle strongly influences for Indica phenotypic expression.

Sativa phenotype characteristics will manifest under a more equatorial photoperiod, closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle. This is the light timing range to use to elicit more Sativa dominant expression from your plants.

As for the exact photoperiod formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime, this will presently remain a trade secret. My advice is to experiment with different photoperiods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6 and 12/12 photoperiods, while tweaking the times a bit differently with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and their offspring are noted. Here's a hint: work in half-hour increments or a little less, and good luck!

2600-indica-sativa-leaves.jpg
Indica and Sativa characteristics.Angle of Light

Angle of light simply refers to the physical angle of light source the plant is dependent upon for growth. Perhaps the greatest difference between indoor and outdoor environments has to do with the angle of light received by the plant. This is also one of the greatest seasonal differences between the Sativa and Indica producing regions.

Outdoors, the main light source is the Sun, with minor influence coming from nearby reflective surfaces. As a plant grows taller and broader outdoors, that angle of light from the sun changes very little in relationship to the growing plant.

Seasonal changes in angle of light increase the further away from the equator one gets. At the equator there is the least amount of seasonal change in angle of light, only about 20?, whereas at the 45th parallel that change is as great as 45?. At the 45th latitude, the Summer Sun is high in the sky while during early Spring and late Fall the sunlight comes from much lower in the sky. The farther one goes from the equator, the greater the difference in seasonal changes regarding angle of light.

Indoors, the lights typically range from a few inches to several feet from the plant. As the plant grows taller, its physical relationship to the bulb's angle of light changes considerably. Most indoor grow rooms have relatively low ceilings, therefore, raising the bulbs may maintain a similar angle of light early on, but eventually the angle changes. The same differences may be noted among plants directly below the bulb and the plants off to the side of the room farther away from the bulb.

Circular light shuttles tend to emulate the arctic summer and create a confusing signal completely unknown to the equatorial Sativa. Straight-track overhead light shuttles are more conducive to inducing the Sativa phenotype.

Jenny420

Jenny420

@Jenny..........Be patient..... and dont chop or give up. This strain is easily a 14-16 week strain. It originated in an area only a few degrees above the equator. Once flower initiates and you are able to stay the course, you will be rewarded depending on who's cut it is and how much of the original gene pool is till left, you will have one of the best sativa stones out there. Not for the faint of heart or those prone to paranoia or have heart issues. Very racy, cerebral and some light visuals. Very much a headstash smoke and not a cut you would keep for cash cropping.

Here is some information that may assit you when dealing with equatorial strains. Again patience is the hardest part.

Hope this helps.

Inducing Sativa

After many years of first-hand experience breeding herb indoors as well as outdoors, I am of the opinion that the two most influential factors involving phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are the photoperiod (hours of light per day) and the angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.

Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica dominant phenotype is the traditional 18/6 veggie cycle and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt, however poor, to mimic the Indica-producing photoperiod. It is my belief that this light cycle strongly influences for Indica phenotypic expression.

Sativa phenotype characteristics will manifest under a more equatorial photoperiod, closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle. This is the light timing range to use to elicit more Sativa dominant expression from your plants.

As for the exact photoperiod formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime, this will presently remain a trade secret. My advice is to experiment with different photoperiods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6 and 12/12 photoperiods, while tweaking the times a bit differently with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and their offspring are noted. Here's a hint: work in half-hour increments or a little less, and good luck!

2600-indica-sativa-leaves.jpg
Indica and Sativa characteristics.Angle of Light

Angle of light simply refers to the physical angle of light source the plant is dependent upon for growth. Perhaps the greatest difference between indoor and outdoor environments has to do with the angle of light received by the plant. This is also one of the greatest seasonal differences between the Sativa and Indica producing regions.

Outdoors, the main light source is the Sun, with minor influence coming from nearby reflective surfaces. As a plant grows taller and broader outdoors, that angle of light from the sun changes very little in relationship to the growing plant.

Seasonal changes in angle of light increase the further away from the equator one gets. At the equator there is the least amount of seasonal change in angle of light, only about 20?, whereas at the 45th parallel that change is as great as 45?. At the 45th latitude, the Summer Sun is high in the sky while during early Spring and late Fall the sunlight comes from much lower in the sky. The farther one goes from the equator, the greater the difference in seasonal changes regarding angle of light.

Indoors, the lights typically range from a few inches to several feet from the plant. As the plant grows taller, its physical relationship to the bulb's angle of light changes considerably. Most indoor grow rooms have relatively low ceilings, therefore, raising the bulbs may maintain a similar angle of light early on, but eventually the angle changes. The same differences may be noted among plants directly below the bulb and the plants off to the side of the room farther away from the bulb.

Circular light shuttles tend to emulate the arctic summer and create a confusing signal completely unknown to the equatorial Sativa. Straight-track overhead light shuttles are more conducive to inducing the Sativa phenotype.
Wow! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for taking the time to relay this information to me. I struggled with this so much it was about to drive me crazy. I appreciate your response. I'll definitely take your advice. You've made my day!
Peace, Jen

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
No worries thats what we are all here for. Someday you will help me out. :cool:

QuantumGen

QuantumGen

Id have to agree you can flower in 13 hours of light, even 14 hours of light and get good results, i have. Equatorial sativas are funny. Let it keep flowering. It will after a while. Some seem to almost not be triggered by the photoperiod. Like that gene went dormant. Are they seedlings? Or clones? If you grow big mommas for your sativas and put clones straight in, they finish much quicker than seedlings. One cross doesnt always seem to cut the flowering time down to manageable times either. Sometimes the inital cross just makes it INITIATE flowering faster and strech less(or just actually stop stretching when flowering DOES initiate). My experience. Unworked sativas are tough. Where did the seeds come from?

Jenny420

Jenny420

Id have to agree you can flower in 13 hours of light, even 14 hours of light and get good results, i have. Equatorial sativas are funny. Let it keep flowering. It will after a while. Some seem to almost not be triggered by the photoperiod. Like that gene went dormant. Are they seedlings? Or clones? If you grow big mommas for your sativas and put clones straight in, they finish much quicker than seedlings. One cross doesnt always seem to cut the flowering time down to manageable times either. Sometimes the inital cross just makes it INITIATE flowering faster and strech less(or just actually stop stretching when flowering DOES initiate). My experience. Unworked sativas are tough. Where did the seeds come from?
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I love this website. So many knowledgeable people to help such a great cause. As far as where the seed came from… actually I got some clones from a friend. He swears the mother flowered with normal timing and produced a huge amount of buds.
Thank you again!

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

12/12 is a good starting point, however every cultivar will have a preferred light cycle depending on the region of origin. This is where knowing your plants lineage is important. If you want to reproduce the Pheno expression it helps to know what environment to reproduce, this includes photoperiod, referring to DJ short, when he was at the Emerald Cup he was on a panel speaking about breeding, he did mention changing the photoperiod to observe different Phenotype expressions. I would be inclined to shorten up the light cycle to initiate flowering. Cause the plant to move things along.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oops! I see I'm not the only one thinking Sativa+photoperiod.
I've grown MJ for many years and have encountered about every obstacle out there.
Recently I had some Panama Reds that I grew from clones. Vegged for 8 weeks and then tried to flower.
These were definitely females and were properly cared for, but they failed to produce any buds.
Details -
1,000 watt HPS and hydro (1,600 ppm and 6.2 pH for veg and 1,800 ppm and 5.5 pH for flower).
76-78 degree rooms, 50 -55% humidity, fans, fresh air room circulation, GH nutes.
The ladies reached 48" in veg and a total of 90" after 10 weeks of bloom. Big, beautiful, no bugs or mold. But never even tried to flower. At all.
All the other strains, OG Kush, Blu Dream, AK-47, and Hindu Kush all in the same room flowered perfectly. Yet 4 Panama Reds did nothing.
All intelligent input is welcome.
Jen
What photoperiod did you use? I'm wondering if they needed a longer dark phase, say 13hrs instead of 12.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for taking the time to relay this information to me. I struggled with this so much it was about to drive me crazy. I appreciate your response. I'll definitely take your advice. You've made my day!
Peace, Jen
@Jenny420 ....... Awwwww that reply made me feel warm and fuzzy....... Hey no problem Jenny, that's what we do here at the Farm, we help others by giving away the knowledge we gained by others. It works like this.
And I quote...... " We can only keep what we have, by giving it away" Its a spiritual concept that has served me well over the years. Peace PS feel free to ask any questions you have at any time. Remember you don't have to go this alone. And if I cant answer a question for you I bet I can find someone here who can. :rolleyes:

Lowman

Lowman

Go ahead and change the light schedule....but if that doesn't work...I would give them a good flush and start refeeding with very low to no N in the mix. I have had girls not flower when they should of...and I concluded too much Nitrogen in my pots.

O

oregonmellow

If they don*t bump into flower right away try turning down your intensity for a couple days almost half intensity some people go dark for 18 -30 hours before hitting them with lights again,good luck,Peace.

O

oregonmellow

Jumpincactus just read a couple of your quotes,good stuff,ever looked at a guy named Peter Tosh?lol,take care,Peace

Top Bottom