My new grow room as a beginner

• Thread starter dezahp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

So I have a few questions for you guys...So I am actually doing the room together with my brother. He has been wanting to completely follow his friend's room and recipe and completely everything he says without question and without even knowing the reason behind it. Needless to say...it has been a really frustrating experience and my research and learning more often than not goes to waste. Anyways, we were supposed to top this week. Honestly, I think we should have topped at least by last week already. Most of them were 20 inches tall already or more. Well I came home today from work and my brother and his friend just ended up topping all of them. From all of the topping I've seen and looked up, I haven't seen anyone really top like this. My plan was to top the majority of them but FIM just a few to compare.

The first picture is what most people I've seen top like and this is what I was told to do. The other 3 pictures is how my brother and his friend topped our plants.

Some other quick points I was wondering if any other people follow to or agree with too?
1. My brother's friend told him to not run the wall fan during veg. I read and thought that you should always run your oscillating wall fans to help make the stems stronger and provide better air circulation to the leaves?
2. I received my HLG 600 V2 Rspec LED lights this month. I swapped out one of the HPS lights with the LED in the room and did a mix of 2 HPS and 1 LED while still in veg until flower. He told us not to use LED because HPS is better for veg with the heat (this is without MH bulbs). I always thought the opposite and thought LED was better with the fuller spectrum for veg while the HPS bulbs are more red and yellow.
3. He told my brother a minimum 2 week "rule" of topping after transplanting. This one makes completely makes no sense to me...It doesn't matter about time but how your plants react and recover right? My other friend even tops and transplants the same day sometimes. Most of them have been doing good and growing tall with them up to 18-21 inches. I was told you should even start flipping once they reach 18 inches. Now I feel like we're way behind schedule and topped when they're really tall. We could have long been topped and/or FIM'ed and already started having the extra stems growing out but now we just barely topped with his method with most of them 20 inches or taller.
First, and forgive me if this is out of bounds, but is your brother’s friend financially invested in your grow? If not, perhaps you and your brother need to establish some rules about how the grow decisions and duties are carried out. It seems ludicrous that someone would not research or question something for themselves. How does one learn to independently manage their grows without knowledge?

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

That topping will work just fine, the image you showed was a seedling and your plants are clones so it looks a little different. And you will be fine topping after transplanting if they are happy. Looking good. Make sure your brother and his friend are sterilizing their tools between topping different plants.

dezahp

dezahp

First, and forgive me if this is out of bounds, but is your brother’s friend financially invested in your grow? If not, perhaps you and your brother need to establish some rules about how the grow decisions and duties are carried out. It seems ludicrous that someone would not research or question something for themselves. How does one learn to independently manage their grows without knowledge?

Well that's the frustrating part now doing the room together with my brother. He's also older than me so therefore you know, he thinks he knows better than me. He just thinks that because his friends grow room is producing, that he wants to just completely follow his friend's setup and advice. I'm just wondering if you guys think the things he's been telling my brother actually make sense or hold any validity so that I can chill? Because they don't to me right now from everything I read or even see from my other friend also

dezahp

dezahp

That topping will work just fine, the image you showed was a seedling and your plants are clones so it looks a little different. And you will be fine topping after transplanting if they are happy. Looking good. Make sure your brother and his friend are sterilizing their tools between topping different plants.

Ok, thanks! Then I guess I can take a chill pill on that part. I think I just wanted to top already way before at least a week ago. Yea we have isopropyl alcohol to sterilize our cutters.

dezahp

dezahp

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Years! Been super busy but wanted to post a quick update. Finally transplanted to final 3 gal pots and will now be waiting 10 days to flip now to flower. Some of the girls were really slower to take off compared to the others. Maybe we might have over watered some a little but they're finally starting to recover and and hope they have a good growth spurt before flip.

I have swapped all of my Gavita DE HPS 1K lights to LED because it'd be more of a headache to change it during flip when I'm already moving all of the pots now for transplant. But now I have a few concerns. My room gets a bit cold now especially since its winter. My room is 68F during day and gets as low as 60F during night. Is this too cold for my final 10 days of veg and should I be concerned? I bought a oil radiator heater but not sure if I wanted to throw that in the room right now right next to the girls since it is getting more packed

PXL 20210103 072606406
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Years! Been super busy but wanted to post a quick update. Finally transplanted to final 3 gal pots and will now be waiting 10 days to flip now to flower. Some of the girls were really slower to take off compared to the others. Maybe we might have over watered some a little but they're finally starting to recover and and hope they have a good growth spurt before flip.

I have swapped all of my Gavita DE HPS 1K lights to LED because it'd be more of a headache to change it during flip when I'm already moving all of the pots now for transplant. But now I have a few concerns. My room gets a bit cold now especially since its winter. My room is 68F during day and gets as low as 60F during night. Is this too cold for my final 10 days of veg and should I be concerned? I bought a oil radiator heater but not sure if I wanted to throw that in the room right now right next to the girls since it is getting more packed
Looking great... are those the hlg scorpion diablos?

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

You can tell your Brother you want to be professional about this and that you have done your research. Looks like they went a bit low on the topping but they sure will recover.

dezahp

dezahp

Why did you swap out the DE for LED? What didn't you like about the DE's?

Save electricity costs and lower temps for flower. I live in an older house too so I don't want to be straining the electricals of this house too much running 4x 1k hps lights

dezahp

dezahp

I'm having some issues with my girls after transplanting to 3 gal pots. I transplanted them on Friday and Saturday. Some of them have been drooping pretty bad but I just suspected that to them being in shock from transplant. Now some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow. I think I started noticing the little bits of yellow yesterday but today is more now. I had them in 1 gallon pots with Sunshine mix #4 and transplanted them to 3 gal pots with Tupur because the shops around me didn't have anymore Sunshine in stock. I also fed each one during transplant.

PXL 20210105 034532514
PXL 20210105 034519280
PXL 20210105 034510580
PXL 20210105 034503985
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm having some issues with my girls after transplanting to 3 gal pots. I transplanted them on Friday and Saturday. Some of them have been drooping pretty bad but I just suspected that to them being in shock from transplant. Now some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow. I think I started noticing the little bits of yellow yesterday but today is more now. I had them in 1 gallon pots with Sunshine mix #4 and transplanted them to 3 gal pots with Tupur because the shops around me didn't have anymore Sunshine in stock. I also fed each one during transplant.
Did you water them after?

Top Bottom