My new toy: water-light-pH meter? What are scales on it and what to do?

• Thread starter bibsoconner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bibsoconner

I bought myself an Apine 3 in 1 soil tester on Amazon. Returnable within 30 days if there is something better or it doesn't work out.
Anyhow, it came with no instructions.
1. The first photo shows moisture. You can see it's just barely in the "dry" section. What is the scale though? It shows 1 to 10? Any idea? What do you aim for right after watering and what number before you water again? I'm a little suspicious of the moisture reading. Yes, it's been a week since I watered, but it did just rain (although very lightly). On the other hand, it's been windy so maybe that dried everything out? Is there an obvious way to test it? It says not to put it in straight water.
2. The second photo shows light. Again, what are the units? I have an app on my phone that shows Lux units. Right now (about 10:30 a.m.) my phone app reads about 20,000 lux. But as you can see, this only goes to 2000!
3. The third phote shows pH. As I read it, it looks a little above 7, but much closer to 7 than 8. What should the pH be at? And even if you say "you're perfect!", I'm just curious, how would one make the soil more acidic if necessary? Some sort of acid? Coffee grounds? I am using FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil and FoxFarm nutrients. Being slightly alkaline is not surprising to me. The water (and the soil if you use garden soil) are both somewhat alkaline in southern california. In fact, I've been trying to water with collected rain water which is hopefully neutral, but I have had to use tap water (left for 24 hours to dechlorinate).
I'm not in love with this unit. The pH seems likely true. Not so sure about moisture and don't really need a light meter. So, if you have alternative product recommendations I'm all ears. I mostly got it because folks on these forums said beginners tend to overwater and it's good to check with something other than your finger in the soil.

My new toy water light ph meter what are scales on it and what to do
My new toy water light ph meter what are scales on it and what to do 2
My new toy water light ph meter what are scales on it and what to do 3
My new toy water light ph meter what are scales on it and what to do 4
Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
Ed_Rosenthal_ph_nutrient.jpg

I like to ph my feed a little below 6.5 @ 6.1~ incase it rises from some of my additives

B

bibsoconner

Ed_Rosenthal_ph_nutrient.jpg

I like to ph my feed a little below 6.5 @ 6.1~ incase it rises from some of my additives
Thanks. But how do you alter the ph of your feed? What additives? Looks like from your chart, 7 or even 7.5 is not horrible. Still, I'd like to know how to bring it down a bit.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I bought myself an Apine 3 in 1 soil tester on Amazon. Returnable within 30 days if there is something better or it doesn't work out.
Anyhow, it came with no instructions.
1. The first photo shows moisture. You can see it's just barely in the "dry" section. What is the scale though? It shows 1 to 10? Any idea? What do you aim for right after watering and what number before you water again? I'm a little suspicious of the moisture reading. Yes, it's been a week since I watered, but it did just rain (although very lightly). On the other hand, it's been windy so maybe that dried everything out? Is there an obvious way to test it? It says not to put it in straight water.
2. The second photo shows light. Again, what are the units? I have an app on my phone that shows Lux units. Right now (about 10:30 a.m.) my phone app reads about 20,000 lux. But as you can see, this only goes to 2000!
3. The third phote shows pH. As I read it, it looks a little above 7, but much closer to 7 than 8. What should the pH be at? And even if you say "you're perfect!", I'm just curious, how would one make the soil more acidic if necessary? Some sort of acid? Coffee grounds? I am using FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil and FoxFarm nutrients. Being slightly alkaline is not surprising to me. The water (and the soil if you use garden soil) are both somewhat alkaline in southern california. In fact, I've been trying to water with collected rain water which is hopefully neutral, but I have had to use tap water (left for 24 hours to dechlorinate).
I'm not in love with this unit. The pH seems likely true. Not so sure about moisture and don't really need a light meter. So, if you have alternative product recommendations I'm all ears. I mostly got it because folks on these forums said beginners tend to overwater and it's good to check with something other than your finger in the soil.
Im not trying to be rude, but just save yourself the hassle and return it now. I have one and it sits in a drawer, still in the package. Just let your pot dry out, get a feel for its dry weight, and then saturate the media, and get a feel for it when its wet and heavy. Then youll know when to water just by picking up the pot, when its nice and light, water again.

B

bibsoconner

Im not trying to be rude, but just save yourself the hassle and return it now. I have one and it sits in a drawer, still in the package. Just let your pot dry out, get a feel for its dry weight, and then saturate the media, and get a feel for it when its wet and heavy. Then youll know when to water just by picking up the pot, when its nice and light, water again.
Hey, you're not being rude! I'm a newbie and I've got thick skin. I was beginning to think the same thing. I might return, or might keep. It was only $10, so not a huge deal either way.*
Your idea (which I've heard before and makes sense!) works for watering. Do you care about pH and measure it? If so, how? And if you care about pH, how do you change the pH. Chemicals? Coffee grounds, etc.?
Thanks!
*Now, at some point I want to get a tent for indoor growing, and accompanying equipment (fan, exhaust, ??). That is big bucks so I'll be careful and do research here and elsewhere first. And I will return if it doesn't work!

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Hey, you're not being rude! I'm a newbie and I've got thick skin. I was beginning to think the same thing. I might return, or might keep. It was only $10, so not a huge deal either way.*
Your idea (which I've heard before and makes sense!) works for watering. Do you care about pH and measure it? If so, how? And if you care about pH, how do you change the pH. Chemicals? Coffee grounds, etc.?
Thanks!
*Now, at some point I want to get a tent for indoor growing, and accompanying equipment (fan, exhaust, ??). That is big bucks so I'll be careful and do research here and elsewhere first. And I will return if it doesn't work!
Im grow in organics so i dont even look at the ph of anything. Last time i tested my tap, it was like 8.3, doesn't bother anything at all.

Last edited:
D

dean1963

don't worry about PH in soil, also FFOF won't need any nutes for a few weeks BTW.
and as far as what mysticepipedon says, well, if he has to test PH and moisture before a 3-way then he should just run away real fast.

Top Bottom