My plan for treezzzzz

• Thread starter surfguitar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
surfguitar

surfguitar

Sup folks. My first real big grow is becoming a reality very fast and I'm probably gonna start plants within a month or 2. I've been reading a lot and I think I've settled on vertical for this grow at least to start out. The plan is to do 4 double stacked 600s kinda based off @Capulator honeycomb. 2 4x8 beds running my soil mix in a 12Wx12Lx7H insulated room in my garage. 10 plants per bed. 2 6in fans hooked to phresh filters bringing in air from under the house, 2 12in fans exhausting, dehumidifier for lights off, circulatory fans and honeywells under each stack. This is kinda a rough sketch.
My plan for treezzzzz

I'm just wondering on veg time? I plan to grow pretty stretchy 9-12week strains so I was thinking about a 1.5 months of solid veg, is that too long? Also interested if anyone has tried perpetual in a similar setup to decrease on veg space? Maybe adding 2 plants every 2 weeks or something? Figure to veg out this many plants I'd need probably 2-3 600s versus maybe using 1 600 or 1000 perpetual style. Any links to similar style grows would be sweet :)

J

Jalisco Kid

You want ten plants(trees) were you hardly have room for 2. you want to veg 10 plants for 6 weeks in a 4x8, then you want to cut out 2 plants a week out of that bed. Just put "torture chamber" on the entry door. Look around a little more before you spend your money. JK

surfguitar

surfguitar

Maybe you didn't fully understand me @Jalisco Kid

I was thinking veg plants for 6 weeks in 1-3gal pots and put them in 2-4 at a time over a 10 week period(2-4 every week or 2). So after the 10 weeks I will be harvesting about 4 of the plants every 2 weeks. That was just an idea, alternatively I would just veg all 20 for 6 weeks and throw them all in at once.

Are you saying my space would only be suitable for 2 trees versus 10? So this is more of a mini tree grow, lets say I wanted to do full on trees, 2 per bed with 2 month+ veg?

Golden Zia

Golden Zia

Maybe you didn't fully understand me @Jalisco Kid

I was thinking veg plants for 6 weeks in 1-3gal pots and put them in 2-4 at a time over a 10 week period(2-4 every week or 2). So after the 10 weeks I will be harvesting about 4 of the plants every 2 weeks. That was just an idea, alternatively I would just veg all 20 for 6 weeks and throw them all in at once.

Are you saying my space would only be suitable for 2 trees versus 10? So this is more of a mini tree grow, lets say I wanted to do full on trees, 2 per bed with 2 month+ veg?

Im not sure how you define "full on trees" but with only a 7' ceiling height, You may have to settle for mini trees. Im looking forward to seeing how it comes together. Best,

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
and you would need 9k and a 5 ton AC. It's not efficient. You need a bigger room to put plants along the walls.

surfguitar

surfguitar

Haha yea I've kinda scraped the idea, I'm thinking 3 1k's NL HP Stadium style in a 5x10 tent now due to circumstance changes and because that seems a little easier to start out with. Thanks for the input guys

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

vert is definitely the way to go but there are several ways you could go, i personally have a pair of 4 x 4's on a flipbox running off the same ballast and each space is good for close to an elbow per cycle, kind of like individual donuts, ...i run mine with single 600's but if you have the power capacity you could stack 600's and you'd pull a pound per cycle per space easy, hell you could stack a pair of 400's or a 600HPS and a 400CMH, i think either way you'd pull better than an elbow per.

...to actually grow trees properly you need at least three bulbs per plant so many will go with 5 x 1K's spread in a kind of X pattern and place the plants within the pattern so each plant gets light from at least three sides, ...you need like 12 foot ceilings too.

another thing you should think on is what 'perpetual' actually means and how labor intensive a conventional SOG can be, ...not to mention that if you are harvesting every 2 weeks you will always be dealing with the labor associated with the harvest as well as the aroma's which can be quite pungent during harvest.

...i bring this up because i spent a few years running a high-density micro-SOG where i pulled 1o small plants every 2 weeks, lol, so i know what a pain in the posterior it is.

so what i do now is still 'perpetual' because my op never stops, i always have the next round vegging so it's ready to flip the same day as i harvey, ...in other words, instead of pulling SOME of my plants every 2 weeks i now pull ALL of my plants every 9 weeks, with almost no down time so i manage a bit over 5 harvey's per year.

the workload is MUCH less intense.

peace, bozo

DSCN0274

surfguitar

surfguitar

Yea I'm thinking perpetual might be a little over my head right now. I just got to think that way based on the comment of another forum where I member stated "a just started flower cycle room is about 20% full so when you avg it out your room is only ever 50% full, with perpetual small plants in the center and large plants to the side to create a sorta natural stadium. Can get your room constantly at 80% full this way"

Makes a lot of sense if you think about it like that but maybe not so easy in practice.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Yea I'm thinking perpetual might be a little over my head right now. I just got to think that way based on the comment of another forum where I member stated "a just started flower cycle room is about 20% full so when you avg it out your room is only ever 50% full, with perpetual small plants in the center and large plants to the side to create a sorta natural stadium. Can get your room constantly at 80% full this way"

Makes a lot of sense if you think about it like that but maybe not so easy in practice.
it does indeed make sense of a sort but in a vert setup the point is kinda moot, ...and perpetual just means never ending, that's not to say it is required that you pull every 2 weeks, a 2 week cycle or a 9 week cycle, as long as you have plants ready to flip and replace the plants you are harvesting it works out the same.

actually, for me at least, i've found that fewer, larger plants is not only way easier to work with, my yields are better.

anyway, below i'm quoting a post i shared in another thread that while not entirely applicable to our discussion, much of it will help explain what i'm talking about and also a little about where i've come from so you know i'm not just talking about stuff i read about.

hope this helps, bozo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...here are some pics of my old cab inside which i ran a high-density micro-SOG with 55 plants in 1liter soil DIY smartpots that i made from landscapers fabric and staples so you can see i'm familiar with your desire to grow 'budsicles'.

View attachment 374570

View attachment 374572

View attachment 374573

View attachment 374574

View attachment 374575

...now, as to a description of a hempy bucket i would say that any water tight container can be made into a hempy, ...the most common size would be between 2 and 3 gallons so you'd start with say a 3 gallon bucket from Lowes and to make it into a hempy you put a single drainage hole about 2 inch's or so up the side of the bucket from the bottom of the bucket, ...what you are essentially doing is you are creating a mini-reservoir in that bottom couple of inchs, say maybe about 15 % of the buckets volume at the bottom.

...actually i'm getting a little ahead of myself, normally i wouldn't explain like this i'd just point you to a thread where it is already explained but i'm new around here so i don't know where such explanation might be.

anyway, as i said, almost any water tight container can be used with the caveat that one of the advantages to the technique is that you can grow larger plants in smaller pots with less media so there is kind of a rule of diminishing returns which is why, in most situations, nothing larger than 3 gallons is ever needed, i personally use 6liter trashcans i picked up at the dollar store, oddly enough, for a buck each, lol.

here you can see i'm using hydroton in the bottom 2 inchs, i also use grorocks or 3/4 inch gravel, lava rock, or even perlite although perlite is messy post harvest so i no longer use it, ...the point is that you have to put something in the bottom different than the growing media, in my case coco, and by different i mean they have to have different properties of absorption if that's the right word, ...lol, this is way more difficult to explain like this than it is to actually run the damned things!

View attachment 374576

...and with the coco added.

View attachment 374578

...if still have questions feel free to ask but if you do a google for 'hempy' i promise you you will find more info than you need and you will be amazed at the results you'll see.

peace, bozo

patriots333

patriots333

Phn1 060
Phn1 070
until u get it going , lining lights in line if you have space works well , then moving an raising is fairly easy . I try to put 3 a girls around each 1000 ...here is a pic

Last edited by a moderator:
patriots333

patriots333

cant afford xxl 8 inchers yet , but 1.5 per light is ok with no co2

J

Jalisco Kid

panda film 99% reflective ....
What will it be after a grow, some installs with it builds up moisture and starts molding.But I have framed many rooms with it.
Good yield now you can redesign it a bit. I would stick with the verts just widen a little and drop the lights down. JK

patriots333

patriots333

surF guitar , i would not bail yet , you have plenty of time to make clones for ongoing cycle , make use all of your room and i veg in 4"x4" to 12 " tall and transplant to 5 gallon buckets , veg and top till i see roots and flip em , 2ft usally when i flip .i did a 4 k vert , a 6 k and this my first 10k ...dont know if your using coco or what but thats how i learned how to get trees .......

surfguitar

surfguitar

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of whether I want to try like 3-4 plants per light or 40-80 plants haha. 3-4 plants seems a lot easier to manage and less trouble in the scenario of getting caught(not super concerned with that tho). Any input from guys that have tryed both? seems like you could save on electricity with more smaller plants.

I'm growing in no-till organic soil

Top Bottom