My plants are constantly droopy

• Thread starter Jamiecatel12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't grow indoor dirt but they are definitely under watered as @Mr Bee pointed out.

Reactions: Ina
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You are overwatering them. You don't need to be watering big pots of coco that much when they are they that young.
Stems are not drooping, leaves look like paper and not swollen, light in color and looks hungry. Under watered they look similar but in over watered the stems will also droop and the leaves will be swollen and heavy usually shiny and not dry looking like in the pics. Also that media is very dry looking not wet and saturated.

J

Jamiecatel12

Stems are not drooping, leaves look like paper and not swollen, light in color and looks hungry. Under watered they look similar but in over watered the stems will also droop and the leaves will be swollen and heavy usually shiny and not dry looking like in the pics. Also that media is very dry looking not wet and saturated.
Iā€™ve been giving them about 1litre of water every other day until yesterday I started doing it daily and I havenā€™t been getting any sign of run off not even a drip ?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Iā€™ve been giving them about 1litre of water every other day until yesterday I started doing it daily and I havenā€™t been getting any sign of run off not even a drip ?
I'm not a dirt/coco guy but listen to @Mr Bee I think he is right on the money.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Underwatering you will see what looks like nute burn w/ patchy yellowing. Overwatering you will see what you are seeing in that pic. Curled tips and yellowing of the whole plant like its underfed as you see here:

Image1

Image2

It could have been overwatered now its underwater or vice versa. Cant tell by a couple of pics and every setup is different. Also hard to tell with the lights on w/o a color reference.

This is something that will take a little time to pull out of. Happens a lot with newer coco growers without that many grows under their belt. Agree or disagree I'm just talking from my years and years of being a previous coco grower and seeing newer growers do the exact same thing time and time again. Just trying to help like @guymandude said. Take it or leave it.

If it helps you should be watering to a little runoff with coco when hand watering unless you have a handle on feeding.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Just to give you a reference (since I actually have some plants in coco for the first time in a while). These were transplanted on April 22nd from seed in 1in rockwool rooters. They have been watered every 3-6 days to runoff (now about every 2 days starting today). That is all they have needed in those small pots and i hacked about a foot off of each of them today. Being hand watered. They are already shooting roots out of the bottom of the pots. Overwatering plants when they are young makes them lazy and you see what you were seeing. Specially if they are in bigger pots. They won't stretch their legs looking for moisture. It's even worse of a problem in rockwool when they are fresh transplants.
Current

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Underwatering you will see what looks like nute burn w/ patchy yellowing. Overwatering you will see what you are seeing in that pic. Curled tips and yellowing of the whole plant like its underfed as you see here:

View attachment 870808
View attachment 870809

It could have been overwatered now its underwater or vice versa. Cant tell by a couple of pics and every setup is different. Also hard to tell with the lights on w/o a color reference.

This is something that will take a little time to pull out of. Happens a lot with newer coco growers without that many grows under their belt. Agree or disagree I'm just talking from my years and years of being a previous coco grower and seeing newer growers do the exact same thing time and time again. Just trying to help like @guymandude said. Take it or leave it.

If it helps you should be watering to a little runoff with coco when hand watering unless you have a handle on feeding.
Ok let me ask this to see if i can convince you.

What are the signs of under watering? Some are shared by both.

They both can cause yellowing of the plant.

They both have drooping leaves like in the pictures as you pointed out... The difference being stems of over water plants will droop because the leaves are holding a lot of water. The stems in his pictures are not drooping at all.

Now look at all the pics and see how the leaves look parched and like paper not like they are swollen, puffy or full of water.

Now look at the soil and how dry it looks and the size of the containers. Read back in the OP's post that he was feeding 500ml every other day.

Still think its over watering?

We can agree to disagree, I know you know your stuff and I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just giving you my observations.

J

Jamiecatel12

Ok let me ask this to see if i can convince you.

What are the signs of under watering? Some are shared by both.

They both can cause yellowing of the plant.

They both have drooping leaves like in the pictures as you pointed out... The difference being stems of over water plants will droop because the leaves are holding a lot of water. The stems in his pictures are not drooping at all.

Now look at all the pics and see how the leaves look parched and like paper not like they are swollen, puffy or full of water.

Now look at the soil and how dry it looks and the size of the containers. Read back in the OP's post that he was feeding 500ml every other day.

Still think its over watering?

We can agree to disagree, I know you know your stuff and I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just giving you my observations.
Iā€™ve started giving them more now about a litre or more in morning and another feed on night and their looking better then they was so Iā€™m gonna stick to it and hopefully they improve thanks for the information

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I grow in Promix, which is similar to Coco. The Promix is hard to overwater since it drains well, but your plants appear, to me, to be suffering from Nitrogen toxicity. I didn't catch if you are using any nutrients yet, but the pale and puffy leaves along with the "need watered" look usually results from overfeeding or Ph that is causing issues with nutrient absorption. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures as they are fuzzy, and at my age, my eyes are a bit fuzzy too. Overfeeding can interfere with water absorption by the roots, making them look like they are thirsty despite the soil being wet. I'm basing this by the appearance of the plants. Providing a description of the growing container, growing medium, and any nutrients or additions that you have given, will help greatly.
I water my plants daly when they are actively growing in full veg mode, although I don't water too often when first starting out. If you can take a handful of your growing medium, squeeze it, and get more than a few drops of water out of it, then you might be overwatered. Damp is the term I like to use for my preferred water ratio.

J

Jamiecatel12

I grow in Promix, which is similar to Coco. The Promix is hard to overwater since it drains well, but your plants appear, to me, to be suffering from Nitrogen toxicity. I didn't catch if you are using any nutrients yet, but the pale and puffy leaves along with the "need watered" look usually results from overfeeding or Ph that is causing issues with nutrient absorption. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures as they are fuzzy, and at my age, my eyes are a bit fuzzy too. Overfeeding can interfere with water absorption by the roots, making them look like they are thirsty despite the soil being wet. I'm basing this by the appearance of the plants. Providing a description of the growing container, growing medium, and any nutrients or additions that you have given, will help greatly.
I water my plants daly when they are actively growing in full veg mode, although I don't water too often when first starting out. If you can take a handful of your growing medium, squeeze it, and get more than a few drops of water out of it, then you might be overwatered. Damp is the term I like to use for my preferred water ratio.
Iā€™ve got them in 16litre fabric pots and giving them canna a+b 25ml of each to 20 litres of water and giving them about 1litre in morning and Iā€™ve just started giving them a little feed on nights

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Agree 100%. Under watering can also show signs of nute burn. Based on the plants look and the size of those pots and the fact he was feeding 500ml every second day. His nutrient ratio was and is a little lighter than recommend by the manufacturer for that growth stage based on the previous info he provided. So that leads me to believe unless there are root problems the best place to start was increasing the watering and the likely cause was just under watering. If that doesn't work then I would look at root issues.

J

Jamiecatel12

Agree 100%. Under watering can also show signs of nute burn. Based on the plants look and the size of those pots and the fact he was feeding 500ml every second day. His nutrient ratio was and is a little lighter than recommend by the manufacturer for that growth stage based on the previous info he provided. So that leads me to believe unless there are root problems the best place to start was increasing the watering and the likely cause was just under watering. If that doesn't work then I would look at root issues.
Iā€™m gonna try giving them pure ph water to flush them and lower the strength in nutes. I havenā€™t been regularly giving them pure water so maybe they need it

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

I've heard it said an apprentice rarely fails by underdoing. Get the pH right, water to run off, feel the weight of the container at full saturation, wait until it dries to half that weight, water again to run off.

I'm a die hard canna nutrients fan, I've run coco, cogr, and now substra. I never go above 800 ppm (EC x 500), and run a feed, feed, rinse schedule.

LedGuy

LedGuy

I thimk They were underwatered, created salts and lockout. Maybe even too much nutes.
Have you tried picking up an dry 25 litre bag of coco its almost weightless.
Never ever get to that point in coco. Its all feel bro. Literally pick em up each time til,ya get the hang of it. I dont run those nutes but until they start looking healthier I would go real light on thw bites, just cal mag and small n.
Othwr than that whats ur temps like. What type of lighting?
Have u read growweedeasy.com?
U must have some knowledge to have picked coco, right?

J

Jamiecatel12

This is my first time grow the temps are between 22-25 degree light on and drop to about 17 - 20 lights off Iā€™m using a 600 w hps light . I give them pure ph water and their looking better then they was. Their not dropping much anymore but the ends of their leaves are curled ?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Like @LedGuy said your not going to see older leaves get better but should not see them getting worse. For the most part pay attention to new growth that will give you an indication of how happy the plant is now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom