My plants are Stuck in little smart pots! Help!

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I left these in these pots too long...Really never should have used them..
Magicpots

I tryed to be gentle and work the plant loose but the roots are stuck to the very bottom :confused:
I cant stand the sound and feel of Tearing roots!! :mad::(

...and I cut the bag open to try it that way:rolleyes:
,,,But still torn way too many roots :(
Tornroots

So now I dont know what to do with these other 3 plants that are stuck in these little pots :(

the one I transplanted is lookin ok for now
Superskunktransplanted9 17

Any suggesrtions?

I need to do something soon..I know that

soserthc1

soserthc1

looks like you have no choice but to tear some roots or can you just plant the pots into larger containers , I have never use smart pots but was under the impression the roots grew thru them. Or maybe cut the bottom of the pots off and transplant that way..... just my 2 cent..... peace soser

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
looks like you have no choice but to tear some roots or can you just plant the pots into larger containers , I have never use smart pots but was under the impression the roots grew thru them. Or maybe cut the bottom of the pots off and transplant that way..... just my 2 cent..... peace soser
The roots are growing though alright...and die-ing of course.
.But I dont wanna plant them in the pot..
.i have to get them out..
Maybe I will ask my wife to surgically remove them for me :rolleyes:

soserthc1

soserthc1

Ken try using a sharp knife or razor blade and cut the bottoms off and slit the sides so you can remove those Smart Pots with as little trauma to those roots as possible......

If you minimize the damage they will be just fine after transplanting.......
^^^^ agreed sounds like your best option ....

socalval

socalval

I just tried the double putting smart pot yeild was next to none outdoor no zyme keep in mind . I would make a few rips here and ther to give your roots a easy way out . And use some b1 or in your case a1 fast and furious i think .

KeystonerFMX

KeystonerFMX

Premium Farmer
Supporter
Ya I can see you're losing some roots.. but in reality that isn't tooooo bad.. they will definitely live. I've read on here that when pruning roots like that it is actually pretty similar to topping your plant.. now you will end up with more roots.. whoever said that could be wrong haha but I can all but guarantee your plants will survive a little root loss. Just be careful as possible!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I had this problem before too and did as wayne said carefully cutting the roots at the bottom,the roots on the sides seemed to come away easily(airpruned?)but the bottom roots were intertwined with the fabric pretty good.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I love fabric pots, just don't use them for anything that requires transplanting, for the reasons you are having. Their is a velcro sided pot, but it's still gonna rip the roots.

The problem you are having with these is exactly what makes fabric pots so great, the roots can grow through the fabric and air prune, rather then circle around in a plastic pot. Roots get lots more oxygen in fabric pots.

outwest

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I love fabric pots, just don't use them for anything that requires transplanting, for the reasons you are having. Their is a velcro sided pot, but it's still gonna rip the roots.

The problem you are having with these is exactly what makes fabric pots so great, the roots can grow through the fabric and air prune, rather then circle around in a plastic pot. Roots get lots more oxygen in fabric pots.

outwest
Good Post Broseff! :)
Yep...And I knew that...So its my bad.:( I knew that wasnt their final home.

Ken try using a sharp knife or razor blade and cut the bottoms off and slit the sides so you can remove those Smart Pots with as little trauma to those roots as possible......

If you minimize the damage they will be just fine after transplanting.......

Thank You Wayne....The one I transplanted and hour ago looks good...So Imma gonna do another and be as carefull as I can..o_O

Thanks Guys, You Rock!
Passingjoint

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
ok its a done deal..I cut around the whole bottom and the sides were easy. But the bottom where the seams are, was harder. But I think they will be ok..:D

I gave them a huge drink of water with A1 Roots :)
WBandSStransplaned9 17

watch them grow here ;)

W

wintergreens

Easyest way i have found was to sit the pot on a grate and let bottom and sides dry a little bit. Then when you pull down on the sides its loose to pull off, like air pruning. I love the root growth of fabric pots!

Zonkerly

Zonkerly

I have never like those loose fabric pots, but I have to move my stuff around several times a day. I use 5 gallon buckets I get for free,drill some holes on the bottum and your good to go for years...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
how much can ya get out of a 5 gal bucket?
I mean can you grow a half pound in one?

K

kolah

Yes Ken. Last year I grew out a DJ Blueberry and yielded 7+ ounces. The pics were posted on my diary but I think they got deleted when the forum changed formats. Genetics will also dictate the yield though.

I like using plastic buckets because I can move them around if need be, they are cheap, reusable, space efficient and you can always "non-shock" transplant them right into the ground by drilling some 1 inch holes in the bottoms and sides with a hole-saw. I used a 2" holesaw on some of mine this year....and them planted then right in the ground. I think my current grow diary (Bubba Shine) has some pics of that.

Top Bottom