my plants aren't growing as well as i would like

• Thread starter noktommaster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

noktommaster

i have to females from a bunch of bag seeds that i planed on 4/20 they have been flowering for 4 weeks now and i'm not seeing very much bud growth. i'm posting some pics of them. i can think of a few reasons why they might not be doing well but i still want some pro opinions. the problems that i think might be the cause are: 1.) i didn't prune enough(they are very spindly), 2.) the roots are stunted(they are in 1 gallon pots) or 3.) my lights are too weak it is a 305 watt flores setup that i found out only gives off 19,000 lumens. if some one out there could give me their opinion that would be great (sorry if the pics are a little blurry i used my cell phone camera)

My plants arent growing as well as i would like
My plants arent growing as well as i would like 2
My plants arent growing as well as i would like 3
My plants arent growing as well as i would like 4
G

guerilla family

i have to females from a bunch of bag seeds that i planed on 4/20 they have been flowering for 4 weeks now and i'm not seeing very much bud growth. i'm posting some pics of them. i can think of a few reasons why they might not be doing well but i still want some pro opinions. the problems that i think might be the cause are: 1.) i didn't prune enough(they are very spindly), 2.) the roots are stunted(they are in 1 gallon pots) or 3.) my lights are too weak it is a 305 watt flores setup that i found out only gives off 19,000 lumens. if some one out there could give me their opinion that would be great (sorry if the pics are a little blurry i used my cell phone camera)

Im guessing this is your first grow, so congratulations on getting your plants to this stage.. They dont look bad for 2 month old plants.. You wont be seeing too much bud development at this point, being they are only 4 weeks into flower.
First off, get those girls into some bigger pots. IF they are rootbound, they wont flower to their fullest potential, and it would be of much benefit to transplant them to a larger pot. The plants are going to double in size by the time they are done flowering, so u want to give them lots of room if you want to see some flower production towards the finish.

Personally, I wouldnt go and buy a larger light, until you have completed this grow. Once you see how the plant grows and develops from start to finish, and you are familiar with what the plant needs throughout it's life cycle, then I would possibly purchase a 400w or whatever you have room for. I recommend using Sun-Agro bulbs once you switch to HID. Are you using Compact Flouros? The lights you are using will bud your plant, but you wont get nearly the weight you would with a HID.
All you gotta do is let it run its course.

Best of luck, and be patient.

GFam

L

likeakite

Not that bad of an effort. You should be proud. Those honeys will fatten up and look much better by harvest time.

Yes, a bigger lite and bigger pots would be an improvement for the next time. Grow on.

B

been

Those nodes still look fairly symmetrical. If it's 4 weeks 12/12 then you started them before they were mature.... which isn't a bad thing, but you can't go by the numbers you're seeing these other growers posting-up. Just relax and give it some time. It's your duty to conform to the plants, not the other way around.

N

noktommaster

Im guessing this is your first grow, so congratulations on getting your plants to this stage.. They dont look bad for 2 month old plants.. You wont be seeing too much bud development at this point, being they are only 4 weeks into flower.
First off, get those girls into some bigger pots. IF they are rootbound, they wont flower to their fullest potential, and it would be of much benefit to transplant them to a larger pot. The plants are going to double in size by the time they are done flowering, so u want to give them lots of room if you want to see some flower production towards the finish.

Personally, I wouldnt go and buy a larger light, until you have completed this grow. Once you see how the plant grows and develops from start to finish, and you are familiar with what the plant needs throughout it's life cycle, then I would possibly purchase a 400w or whatever you have room for. I recommend using Sun-Agro bulbs once you switch to HID. Are you using Compact Flouros? The lights you are using will bud your plant, but you wont get nearly the weight you would with a HID.
All you gotta do is let it run its course.

Best of luck, and be patient.

GFam

yes i am using compact flouros

N

noktommaster

ok so if they weren't mature yet, what should i look for for next time so i know when to switch the lights?

H

Hundred GramOz

Hello friend I often see questions like yours posted on growing forums, the number 1 problem is that you have insufficient lighting. Light is the number 1 energy source for plants and if you hold back on lighting you yield will suffer dramatically. Another thing is the spectrum of light, your into flowering now and you would want to focus more on a red/orange spectrum to mock the long days of summer a high pressure sodium light is perfect for this. The best thing you could do right now is get more or a new light. Hope this helps

O

organicdave

Yea one gallon pots really dont give much room for growth. I would definitely transplant to bigger pots.

Is there any way you could bring those babies outside for some time each day? Even next to a sunny window will help. The sun will do wonders for ya til you can get some bigger lights!

A

Asiatica

To sum it up.....

More powerful light
Bigger pot
Patience is a virtue

Other than that

Great job and congratulations on your first grow.
Make a ton of notes and keep on growin.
Read some fundamental MJ grow books in your spare time.
You reap what you sow.

Peace and positive vibes.
:character0050:

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

It's looking good for just starting to flower...give it a few weeks and it will fatten up.

F

Fredrik Lemon

I think you've done a splendid job on your plants for a first timer! You should be very proud of them being healthy and green!
Get some biggers lights for your next grow and you will see an improvement fersur.

However IMHO, I wouldn't think your plants are not root bound... 1 gal of soil is plenty for small plants. Lighting is the problem, a little bit of light (and a far distance from the plants) causes the plant to stretch more towards the light, not producing buds.

4 weeks into flower you say? You could still add a FEW more compacts to help them along... BLAST EM WITH LIGHT.... also better reflective material and that material closer to the plants to aid in lighting will help alot.

As far as when to switch your plants to 12/12.... it's best to wait until the nods, the branches, start to stagger. This happens at about 4 weeks of veg..... usually the fourth main branches will start to stagger.

Another thing if you want to use small lighting, either HPS, CFL's, or even shop light fluoro's, is to "Top" your plants.
This helps reduce height and help the lower branches catch up to the lighting. You're making more of a bush then a tree.

The best advice I can really give is to READ, READ, READ! Look at all the pics and info others have posted.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Don't give up... keep growing.... before long it'll be like riding a bike.... and you'll be smoking you own buds... a proud happy grower! :smiley_joint:

Fred

N

noktommaster

I think you've done a splendid job on your plants for a first timer! You should be very proud of them being healthy and green!
Get some biggers lights for your next grow and you will see an improvement fersur.

However IMHO, I wouldn't think your plants are not root bound... 1 gal of soil is plenty for small plants. Lighting is the problem, a little bit of light (and a far distance from the plants) causes the plant to stretch more towards the light, not producing buds.

4 weeks into flower you say? You could still add a FEW more compacts to help them along... BLAST EM WITH LIGHT.... also better reflective material and that material closer to the plants to aid in lighting will help alot.

As far as when to switch your plants to 12/12.... it's best to wait until the nods, the branches, start to stagger. This happens at about 4 weeks of veg..... usually the fourth main branches will start to stagger.

Another thing if you want to use small lighting, either HPS, CFL's, or even shop light fluoro's, is to "Top" your plants.
This helps reduce height and help the lower branches catch up to the lighting. You're making more of a bush then a tree.

The best advice I can really give is to READ, READ, READ! Look at all the pics and info others have posted.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Don't give up... keep growing.... before long it'll be like riding a bike.... and you'll be smoking you own buds... a proud happy grower! :smiley_joint:

Fred

finding this website has been amazing, i went into this grow almost blind but since finding this web site and getting all help from you guys, i've found confidence and knowledge that will take me far. i've been reading every post i can spending atleast four hours a day on the site reading whatever i can. thank you all.

grow on.

N

noktommaster

Yea one gallon pots really dont give much room for growth. I would definitely transplant to bigger pots.

Is there any way you could bring those babies outside for some time each day? Even next to a sunny window will help. The sun will do wonders for ya til you can get some bigger lights!

i would get them some sun but up here in mass we have been getting a day or two of sun every other week, for over a month now. it feels like i live in seattle. it is very depressing

R

ReelBusy1

ok so if they weren't mature yet, what should i look for for next time so i know when to switch the lights?

you mentioned these were started from seed on 4/20.I usually let the seedlings grow for almost a month before starting the 4 week veg period to allow full growth.
This would put us at starting the flowering period around now 6/20ish.
next time give it time then top or FIM it and let it grow before hurrying to flower. You will get a bigger bushier plant with more buds

That said keep going.
The last two weeks of the flower cycle can be very productive and robust.
There are many strains that show very little bud or trichs until that point.

Also since you seem to like to move fast :) , don't rush out and harvest these at 8 weeks.
You may need more time to get the best results off these plants
The bottom leaves look very indica but the tops look sativaish so i'm not sure what you have there.
If it leans more toward sativa you may need to go as many as 12 weeks with the lights you have to get there.

Patience Grasshopper (and bigger pots) and you will learn much on your journey

N

noktommaster

you mentioned these were started from seed on 4/20.I usually let the seedlings grow for almost a month before starting the 4 week veg period to allow full growth.
This would put us at starting the flowering period around now 6/20ish.
next time give it time then top or FIM it and let it grow before hurrying to flower. You will get a bigger bushier plant with more buds

That said keep going.
The last two weeks of the flower cycle can be very productive and robust.
There are many strains that show very little bud or trichs until that point.

Also since you seem to like to move fast :) , don't rush out and harvest these at 8 weeks.
You may need more time to get the best results off these plants
The bottom leaves look very indica but the tops look sativaish so i'm not sure what you have there.
If it leans more toward sativa you may need to go as many as 12 weeks with the lights you have to get there.

Patience Grasshopper (and bigger pots) and you will learn much on your journey

i know now that i was moving too fast, i was just going by people saying that a plant can double or triple in size from when you put them into flower to when you harvest them, my plants were already over a foot tall and i knew my light wouldn't penetrate more than a few feet.

Top Bottom