My problem with some strains rooting fast and some being severely hard to root at all

• Thread starter sliknuts89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sliknuts89

I have many questions with why some of my clones are stellar at rooting and some are a headache. Should I wait longer with the harder cloning strains for example sour hazy jones three phenols and all are giving trouble compared to others. Is there a logical reason behind this? They aren't looking unhealthy and showing signs they just are so much more unpredictable, is it the sativas that take longer to root or is it just certain strains or phenols please help me I need your guys knowledge on this, I love cloning but I don't wanna keep around stocks that are impossible to clone. Is this a waiting game with certain strains or are some strains made to not be cloned, should I give up on them or keep going as long as they stay healthy and show slow signs of rooting? I consider myself successful at cloning and don't wanna give up without a fight please help and spread your knowledge on different strains and the times different strains take to root fully and so on? Thank you I need the farm's guidance bad cus tossing healthy cuttings that are healthy and might just need extra time is a sin to me please help me.

sedate

sedate

sliknuts said:
, is it the sativas that take longer to root or is it just certain strains or phenols

For that fat paragraph more info would be nice. What medium are you trying to root into?

Old school pure sativa cuts were somewhat more problematic for me to clone than hybrids or indicas - White Widow comes to mind here.

A couple of pointers -

Get a good rooting hormone w/ a vitamin b package - I like Hormex.

http://www.hormex.com/

What ever sort of water you are using it needs to be RO or distilled - I could never clone for shit using tap water.

Use 5000K - 7000K CFL's for lighting. I've had problems getting clones to root under HPS or soft-white light.

S

sliknuts89

I'm currently usin ez clone 60 site w clonex a little canna cannazyme and gh rapit root. I keep it at 75 to 80 degrees and it is under two 100 watt cfls energy savers nothing to crazy for lighting but usually I use less. I usually get 90 to 100 percent rooting this time it's taken ten days just to show signs of roots, but I will say the first week I had problems with the temps staying under 73 degrees.

S

sliknuts89

Sorry about the crazy paragraph but I get worked up and other than the farm have noeone to discuss this stuff! Should I wait on the slow cuttings they are looking healthy and I have noticed the other strains that began rooting are yellowing in the leaves like they should while the others that are problematic are as green as they can be no wilt no slime no nothing....

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Some of my strains take up to 21 days- keep on it. The water suggestion is one to consider as well, I use spring water to clone since my well water is too heavy. If the cuts show no signs of disease just keep it going

sky high

sky high

I've seen some cuts that were incredibly stubborn for me to get to root time and time again...

while others just pop out the roots in a week....the Chemdog D cut I had would sit for 2...even 3 weeks before rooting. Same tray.....same cloning session....same >everything< other than genetics, (IMO)....but a huge difference in the time it took to see roots.
Like the blooming cycle...it's all about patience. (and wanting to keep that cut around that takes 3 weeks to root up bad enough to BE patient)

good luck nuts!

s h

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Taking cuttings from the top, middle and bottom of the plant will cause different rooting times. The top cuttings have more Auxin's in them so root faster but grow slower. The middle and down root slower but grow faster. Auxin's are organic hormones that are natural in the plant and when you cut the plant the Auxin's move to the cut to start root development. As you are having issues this is what I would do.

pH your medium, rockwool, peat pots what ever, do not add any food and if you have city tap water let it sit our for a few hours so it gets to room temp. Adding food will slow rooting, tap water has enough stuff in it to grow roots. Well water that is higher than 400ppm is not so good, if you have RO add 1/2 regular water to 1/2 RO.

Cut the clones all from the same area and put a little rooting gel/powder on it. DO NOT CUT AT AN ANGLE CUT THEM STRAIGHT ACROSS. Cutting at an angle will only take more time to root. The only exception to this is if you are using an aero type cloner, the angle cut will provide water to the leaves of the clones in the cloner. When using a tray the dome provides 100% humidity to the leaves of the clones so don't angle cut.

Using globs of rooting gel/powder is not better and in fact will slow down rooting, you just need a very small amount. If you go to one of the big box stores buy the rooting powder they have and buy the #1, #2 and #3, try the different # on a few clones to see which they like best. The different # have different amounts of IBA rooting hormones in them. Some plants like stronger and some like weaker IBA you need to see what your clones like. This is important because if you have to weak of a IBA they will take a long time to root, but if you have to strong the same will happen, you need just the right amount that's why they have different strength rooting gel/powder. The IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid ) () causes the cut to callus over and than the roots grow, if you have to little it takes a long time to callus over and if you use too much it will just keep callusing over and over again and again. Have you ever seen a clone with a swollen stem where it goes into the medium? that's what happens when you use to much IBA.

Now that you have the clones cut and in the medium put a humidity dome on them and put them in the dark for a couple days, on day 3 put them under the light but put the light far away for the next day and than start to move it closer every day. The lack of light helps them start rooting as there is no light to keep the leaves growing, you want roots not leaf. Keeping the bottom warm will help but as it's still warm out you don't need to do that.

So I hope this has helped you understand how it all works and gives you some ideas to work with. The information is back by research and practical experiences.

I know people have been slash cutting clones forever and they have good results, after all that's how I did it for years, but when you make a number of small changes they can make a difference in yield and after all that's what is all about.

Here are a couple shots of my ladies at 6 weeks there are 9 plants under 4 x 1000w, they are 4 1/2 feet high. Great clones make great plants.

IMGP7698
IMGP7700

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Slik, some varieties of plants will just take longer to root than others. Patience is key here. Another thing to keep in mind that many people overlook is that P is the most important nutrient for developing roots. If you are taking cuts from mothers that are being fed high N solutions it is going to take longer for the cuttings to root. I would also cut out the cannzyme, it really is not doing much for your cuttings. You say you are using Rapid Start, may I inquire as to how much you put in the cloner? You may want to back off how much you use. But I will reiterate that each variety has its own pace at which it will root.

P

paperplane

Woodsmaneh: "Have you ever seen a clone with a swollen stem where it goes into the medium? that's what happens when you use to much IBA."

Very interesting, I have noticed this and have always thought that, that ment they were begining to root. I'm going to try a straight cut instead of a slash cut and see if it roots better. I always thought the slash cut was so your exposing more of the inner stem so it allows more area for roots to develop. I also read about "scratching" the stem near the cut and that helps to develop roots too.
I use to have a 100-98% success rate before this summer now Im at about 50%. I think the heat is a problem.
I use Rapid Rooters with Clonex gel and soak rapid rooters in a KLN/Protekt mixture solution.

Im gonna try a straight cut in my set up and see if it helps.

S

sliknuts89

So farmers I should cut out the small amount of cannazyme and paper your right this is the first time I didn't give my stocks at least a 2 week break before cloning I kinda forgot since I took off for the hot summer.... And to everyone else patience has always shown me love in this field so thanks for getting me back to where I need to be in the head I think my time off I warped minor details in my head that's why I need to start pack up a journal so I don't forget past adventures.... Once again the farm and it's farmers to my rescue stay wise and Thanks any other problems I am coming straight to the farm thanks..l

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Cannazym is 0-2-1.

Yes that is a seemingly good ratio for rooting cuttings, but the issue is what the products purpose is. The purpose of the product is to help plants break down old roots allowing them to grow new healthy roots in their place. Since clones have no roots it makes Cannazyme an unnecessary addition to the reservoir. I would however use some Rhizotonic, but that is more or less the same type of product as Rapid Start. I am not saying people have not had success when adding Cannazyme, but it is not needed. In fact there are plenty of people who have had great success when putting nothing in their cloner reservoir, so more often than not it is simply a matter of preference. If you are looking for something to add to the cloner, some good beneficial microbes are always a good idea.

I would however suggest doing a serious cleaning of the cloner as well. It may make the difference in the plants rooting or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom