My RDWC Setup. I'd appreciate your input...

• Thread starter medhatgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Roadblock

Roadblock

The mechanics is great , the small tubing between buckets will be a problem, I had 50ml block up and now use 100ml.
What the blockages do is restrict flow and creates all sorts of pockets throughout the pods and tubing.

The other thing is insulate the pods and tubing as you have it allows quick fluctuations of the root zone temp, I like to keep the root zone temp very stable like it is dirt . You have timber which helps the bottom if you were on concrete you want insulation under them because the slab of concrete will suck the heat out of the system, or add it.

Good job cheers

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well no DO issues gonna happen here bro. Great job.

They only thing beside maybe bigger return lines depending how long your vegging is matching the air pump to the airstones. Those large bubble tell me your pump is way under powered for the ring you are using. The smaller bubbles create a better and more even surface agitation and are easier on the root system. I think with the waterfalls already there I would just put in smaller air stones instead of a bigger pump. Do you know the GPH or GPM required for those rings?

All in all a very well thought out and executed system.

medhatgrower

medhatgrower

Well no DO issues gonna happen here bro. Great job.

They only thing beside maybe bigger return lines depending how long your vegging is matching the air pump to the airstones. Those large bubble tell me your pump is way under powered for the ring you are using. The smaller bubbles create a better and more even surface agitation and are easier on the root system. I think with the waterfalls already there I would just put in smaller air stones instead of a bigger pump. Do you know the GPH or GPM required for those rings?

All in all a very well thought out and executed system.
Thanks for the input, but as for the alita 40 linear air pump... “Underpowered” NO WAY! Uh uh, this pump is a HORSE! I got 1/2” tubing I’m pumping through. TONS of micro bubbles

airedog

airedog

Supporter
I'm with AquaMan and the others, fix the air issue as i don't see TONS of microbubbles.

Microbubbles:

KKrootsM3 1
NuteRes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the input, but as for the alita 40 linear air pump... “Underpowered” NO WAY! Uh uh, this pump is a HORSE! I got 1/2” tubing I’m pumping through. TONS of micro bubbles
Maybe it's the pore size of the rings but I see large bubble which usually indicates there is inadequate flow. I'll see if I can find out some info on them. I don't think it's critical for your grow. But the smaller bubbles would be easier on the roots is all. If ya have enough flow through the water falls you probably don't even need them. Their major benefit will be the mixing of the solution. Which will ensure the entire water column is well oxygenated.

Which air pump is it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Found it 48 lpm. Now let me find those rings.you have 12lpm for each site. That's perfect for the 4x2" airstones and I bet you will see a much different bubble pattern.

Can you link the diffusers?

medhatgrower

medhatgrower

Found it 48 lpm. Now let me find those rings.you have 12lpm for each site. That's perfect for the 4x2" airstones and I bet you will see a much different bubble pattern.

Can you link the diffusers?
Correct, yes 48 lpm. I used those medium sized air stones but found they put out much bigger air bubbles, so I made my own DIY air diffusers with 50’ of Dramm 1/2” ID soaker tubing with each:
4 - 1/“2” Tees,
1 - 1/2” Cross Tee
1 - 1/2” to 1/4” Reducing Tee

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Correct, yes 48 lpm. I used those medium sized air stones but found they put out much bigger air bubbles, so I made my own DIY air diffusers with 50’ of Dramm 1/2” ID soaker tubing with each:
4 - 1/“2” Tees,
1 - 1/2” Cross Tee
1 - 1/2” to 1/4” Reducing Tee
Yeah you want small pore stones. Or diffusers work very well but on the higher side of lpm required depending on size. Very hard to get the smaller bubbles with diy although I have seen some decent ones using wood.. I can't remember the type.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Deep Water Innovations made some interesting Boss Hog air diffusers a few years back, i thought they were discontinued but found them here;

https://www.lonestarhydroponics.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=DWCLO2MAX&Submit=

Usually referred to as a bubbler, this Deep Water Innovations DWMPD060 double micro-pore Boss Hog air diffuser will help improve your plants' growth by adding oxygen to the nutrients in your hydroponic, aquarium, or waterfarm systems. It's made from kiln-fired ceramic material that will not react with the nutrient solutions and creates incredibly small bubbles that will increase oxygen ratios per surface area. This micro-pore hog is suited for smaller hydroponic reservoirs. Use with 1/4-inch vinyl tubing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom