My rooted clones always seem to yellow badly before taking off

• Thread starter needshelpguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
needshelpguy

needshelpguy

It seems to happen most grows and when I put them under the hps, the 5 small rooted clones in fabric pots are yellowing, the unrooted clones in the box are not so bad. Thought it could be a bit of over watering but starting to think could it just be light intensity? Thanks any info appreciated

My rooted clones always seem to yellow badly before taking off
My rooted clones always seem to yellow badly before taking off 2
My rooted clones always seem to yellow badly before taking off 3
My rooted clones always seem to yellow badly before taking off 4
My rooted clones always seem to yellow badly before taking off 5
needshelpguy

needshelpguy

The second pic I believe is droopy cos I snapped a root on transplant

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hard to water properly with small plants in big pots. I think they need a better wet dry cycle. The soil is drying unevenly. Just a guess. Thats all I got.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Yeah it's weird cos you hear all this shit about not letting coco dry and not to treat it like soil but it feels like I'm under watering it as it drys so quickly. Cheers I'll give it ago they usually do this and come right but it just seems to happen all the time hahah

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Didn't realize it was coco. Probably need to keep it evenly moist rather than letting it dry unevenly like that.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

So you reckon give them a big drink tomorrow to run off? The tops dry overnight but I haven't been giving them such a big run off since the root balls so small, and dont see the point watering every day I gave them a big soak to run off when I planted them and just been giving a tiny bit every couple days to make sure the rootball doesnt dry up

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
It seems to happen most grows and when I put them under the hps, the 5 small rooted clones in fabric pots are yellowing, the unrooted clones in the box are not so bad. Thought it could be a bit of over watering but starting to think could it just be light intensity? Thanks any info appreciated
May be you can get the pots up off the floor of tent creat a air cap the will respond better not having cold roots . Regards OD .

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Yeah I might do that ay temps seem to be alg but unsure about at coldest point of night at 12pm it sits around 19C soil temp but I'd say will drop more than that

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So you reckon give them a big drink tomorrow to run off? The tops dry overnight but I haven't been giving them such a big run off since the root balls so small, and dont see the point watering every day I gave them a big soak to run off when I planted them and just been giving a tiny bit every couple days to make sure the rootball doesnt dry up

No you have the right idea watering around the plants in concentric circles as the roots grow bigger along with the canopy. But maybe make sure it doesnt dry out all the way in spots.

I have no coco experience just saying what i would do.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yeah I might do that ay temps seem to be alg but unsure about at coldest point of night at 12pm it sits around 19C soil temp but I'd say will drop more than that
With a air gap you can probably get 5 degrees warmer than on cold surface I live way down south of nowhere in OZ even penguins where polar fleece down here .

WankirA

WankirA

Hey @needshelpguy : coco grower here.
The yellowing is normalish as the fuel in leaves is used and roots still shunting into new space.
But need to say that coco HAS to be watered everyday. No its or buts.
Unfortunately for you, it is the main characteristic of coco, ignore at your peril.
I would say IMO you have gone to a pot that's way too big. They will do well in a quarter of that size (for at least another 2 weeks or so) and will allow the new root structure to get established.
Just my opinion though folks.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Hey @needshelpguy : coco grower here.
The yellowing is normalish as the fuel in leaves is used and roots still shunting into new space.
But need to say that coco HAS to be watered everyday. No its or buts.
Unfortunately for you, it is the main characteristic of coco, ignore at your peril.
I would say IMO you have gone to a pot that's way too big. They will do well in a quarter of that size (for at least another 2 weeks or so) and will allow the new root structure to get established.
Just my opinion though folks.
Cheers for the opinion I see people getting great results with watering every couple days but yeah I understand why I should water every day and will start doing so, my question is though why cant I have small plants in big pots when growing in coco? If supposedly you cant overwater since its aerated enough then surely the roots will be getting enough air regardless of the size? I just dont like up sizing plants into bigger pots since I've had success in the past growing this way and it's less work, thanks

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Cheers for the opinion I see people getting great results with watering every couple days but yeah I understand why I should water every day and will start doing so, my question is though why cant I have small plants in big pots when growing in coco? If supposedly you cant overwater since its aerated enough then surely the roots will be getting enough air regardless of the size? I just dont like up sizing plants into bigger pots since I've had success in the past growing this way and it's less work, thanks
The size of root ball on plant is small at this point in time it only need to deal with a smaller amount of soil or coco which is nice and fresh a small plant in a big amount of soil will slowly get to use up the larger amount but by this time it’s tied and lacking vitality if that makes sense , potting on a plant from its starting size up to the size you use could take 2 time you pot up each time the plant has used up the fresh soil or coco and has a better mass to take on the next bigger final pot or bag .

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

The size of root ball on plant is small at this point in time it only need to deal with a smaller amount of soil or coco which is nice and fresh a small plant in a big amount of soil will slowly get to use up the larger amount but by this time it’s tied and lacking vitality if that makes sense , potting on a plant from its starting size up to the size you use could take 2 time you pot up each time the plant has used up the fresh soil or coco and has a better mass to take on the next bigger final pot or bag .
I get that but why would it matter as long as it's getting air? It's like planting a bigger plant in the ground it doesnt get starved of oxygen and will grow although you're not watering the whole ground if yah get me hahah

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Also just to add to the whole water coco every day or multiple times a day thing, from my understanding you only want to rewater coco daily or multiple times a day to keep it in the right ph range so it can constantly maintain the best nutrient up take, it's not like the plant uses all the feed if your feeding to run off multiples times daily, so if the ph isn't changing over the period of days If its remaining damp there's no reason to refeed?

WankirA

WankirA

why cant I have small plants in big pots

Simply put, roots dont like to wander on there own for too long.
This can lead to stunted growth, slowdown in plants metabolism and can stress the plant.
Stages are best: especially with clones that dont come with an inbuilt security feature. i.e.the taproot.

Am big on testing the status quo, but for plants sake, use incrementally larger pots (i go root it sponge, 1 or 2L pot, then final, all still allows roots to maintain strength and vigour.
I also use mycos on roots which i see as a shot of adrenaline, when transplanting, mycos only good on root contact.
There is a huge archive online about root dynamis and the like, worth a few hours research.
Good luck.

Top Bottom