My "secret" to killer edibles.

• Thread starter socks4free
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
socks4free

socks4free

I started growing weed back in 2019 and as such I had a lot more bud than I had access to before and I quickly realized It was more enjoyable for me to just eat edibles than smoke as it last so much longer so I started making edibles and slowly perfected the process I use.

Here's the process I use to make my coconut oil extract. First you start by preheating the oven to 235°F. Now start breaking up any bud you are gonna use by hand into little chunks in a Pyrex glass dish. (I use pie dishes* for this) You fill the dish with however much bud you want then cover it good with tinfoil so it doesn't completely stink and so any THC that gets vaporized will stay within the dish so it should be as airtight as possible. Throw this in the oven for 45-75 mins depending on amount in the dish. Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 5-10 mins so any vaporized cannabinoids will re solidify onto the bud. Now your bud is decarbed (activated) For the next 12 hours I put this bud with as much coconut oil as you are trying to use (I use 1-3 cups usually), a couple cups of water and the decarbed weed in a crockpot on slowcook, high temp. Stirring occasionally. Then for the next 12 hours you want to turn it to slowcook low temp. then strain the weed out(put weed in potato ricer** and squeeze liquids out over 8" steel mesh strainer***) so all the liquids go into pyrex glass dishes (i use bread pans****) and then throw the dishes in the fridge(let the oil solidfy for 12 hours). then add fresh oil and water to the crock pot to do a 2nd batch of oil from it and let that sit for another day on low temp stirring occasionally. Then I again strain the weed out so all the liquids. (But this time I really squeeze the potato ricer** good to make sure I get every ounce of liquid out of it)go into pyrex glass dishes and throw the dishes in the fridge and let the oil solidfy for 12 hours again. once that's done you take the oil off the top keep that and dump the water. The 2nd batch of oil I save until the next time I need to make oil and I'll use that as about half of the oil I use for the next batch. This has brought my edibles from good to "the best" anyone I know has ever tried, after consuming my edibles anyone else's edibles I've tried even the dispensary ones just don't cut it.

Right as I put. The freshly decarbed bud in with the water and oil and mix it up a little.
My secret to killer edibles
after the first batch of oil is extracted it is basically just mush
My secret to killer edibles 2

My secret to killer edibles 3

My secret to killer edibles 4

41jurfy2akl

Roy dms 6

My secret to killer edibles 5

socks4free

socks4free

I actually just wrote most of that guide for one of my stepfathers workers. I gave my parents 4 edibles to give to their friends at their Christmas party he at 1/8th of one and was wrecked so he asked for the recipe. I just finally felt up to the task of writing it out for him and wanted to share it here too so I modified it to be less personal of a message and pointed it here for anyone else who would like to give it a shot.

I know some of you are probably thinking "but why so long?" Or something along those lines and we'll idk im lazy and this has had the best results for me🤷‍♂️.

ninjadip

ninjadip

thanks for sharing.

i think i'm going to try to make something here in a few weeks. another alternative i liked i saw on the internet to your glass pie dish and tinfoil was to use mason jars with the lid only slightly ajar.

socks4free

socks4free

Why are you using water at all? I don't get the purpose.
I think it gives me a cleaner final product and allows me to make stronger extracts.
Just look at the color of the water up in the picture I shared. That was actual water from one of my extracts. Sure some of that may not be soluble in the coconut oil but im sure a lot of it is. So if your not using water all of that would end up in your oil and make. It taste WAYYY stronger like weed. Thc and other cannabinoids are not water soluble so it is safe to use water to get the chlorophyll and other water solubles out without taking away from the final products high

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

That’s a new process for me, never heard of recapturing anything vaped off?
Also do you add any lechticin or nuts to the final product to enhance the effects ?

socks4free

socks4free

thanks for sharing.

i think i'm going to try to make something here in a few weeks. another alternative i liked i saw on the internet to your glass pie dish and tinfoil was to use mason jars with the lid only slightly ajar.
That's an interesting idea, I do have like 80 mason jars laying around

socks4free

socks4free

That’s a new process for me, never heard of recapturing anything vaped off?
Also do you add any lechticin or nuts to the final product to enhance the effects ?
I add lecithin when I actually make edibles but i have also in the past added an extra step after I resolidify the oil from the 1st batch (the one you consume not the one you save to start the next batch) and gotten rid of all the water I have put the oil back into the Pyrex bread pan put that on my electric glass top stove on low melted it and added lecithin right to the oil. However you don't want to add lecithin to the oil until after you get rid of the water completely or your gonna have water in the final product

josefrahl

josefrahl

I think it gives me a cleaner final product and allows me to make stronger extracts
Not sure how it would do anything since neither Cannabinoids or oil will touch it. Just seems like an extra unnecessary step to me.

The reason, as I understand it, for cooling covered is to let the terps resettle on the bud. Never heard of THC resettling, but I guess it makes a certain kind of sense. Pretty sure Cannabinoids just dissipate though. I could definitely be wrong though.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Why are you using water at all? I don't get the purpose.
Usually the oil and thc float so when solidified may be easier to remove a puck rather than scooping it off the bottom. That's the only positive I can see. I see water and butter used a lot and wondered also why it's needed.

The water may also prevent possible burning of the butter or oil.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

We know from short path distillation that cannabinoids do become vapor once the boiling point is reached. They can then be re-collected into a honey like substance by dropping the temp. They will collect on the walls of the container in the areas where the temp is lowest. But this happens under vacuum. The rules are different with a pressurized vessel. Also the BP of THC is around 400*F, you are not getting close to that.

You will also be releasing CO2 in this decarb process, pressurizing the container. By the nature of chemistry, you are going to lose some into the oven since you are not able to maintain pressure.

The water thing has given me something to think about. 🤔

If it works for you, that's all that matters. So many ways to skin a cat.

josefrahl

josefrahl

We know from short path distillation that cannabinoids do become vapor once the boiling point is reached. They can then be re-collected into a honey like substance by dropping the temp. They will collect on the walls of the container in the areas where the temp is lowest. But this happens under vacuum. The rules are different with a pressurized vessel. Also the BP of THC is around 400*F, you are not getting close to that.

You will also be releasing CO2 in this decarb process, pressurizing the container. By the nature of chemistry, you are going to lose some into the oven since you are not able to maintain pressure.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be an ass about it, just trying to understand if there's any science to it as, I make a ton of oils and stuff.

Last edited:
rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

Best edibles tutorials I've ever seen are on YouTube under Diamond Delight Edibles. This woman is amazing. She shows you start to finish how to make awesome gummies and has a tonne of videos on how to take your cannabutter to the next level. Followed her method and the chocolate chip cookies I made were wicked.

josefrahl

josefrahl

Best edibles tutorials I've ever seen are on YouTube under Diamond Delight Edibles. This woman is amazing. She shows you start to finish how to make awesome gummies and has a tonne of videos on how to take your cannabutter to the next level. Followed her method and the chocolate chip cookies I made were wicked.

I used to watch her a lot. She's got a great video on how to make your cannabutter look like regular butter on there. Gets rid of the green tint, and makes it smooth again.

socks4free

socks4free

Not sure how it would do anything since neither Cannabinoids or oil will touch it. Just seems like an extra unnecessary step to me.

The reason, as I understand it, for cooling covered is to let the terps resettle on the bud. Never heard of THC resettling, but I guess it makes a certain kind of sense. Pretty sure Cannabinoids just dissipate though. I could definitely be wrong though.
Well I just say cannabinoids Because not everyone I talk to is gonna understand half of what's being vaporized is terps lol.

Also the water absolutely does help clean it up. The times I've tried doing it without the water it's always had a much harsher taste and I had to use much more oil and got a weaker final product, even when using the exact same bud. From what i understand when you add the water the water is gonna pull a lot of stuff away from the oil that would otherwise end up in your final product. Basically anything that is water and fat soluble would be the extra stuff your pulling off. I mean just take. A look at the picture and at the water that's left over after the extract It's almost black!

socks4free

socks4free

I've actually watched a few of her edibles tutorial, they are very good! When your like me and your consuming this oil every day you start looking for new things to make and new ways to improve your process. Which is why I started this thread hoping I could help improve someone else's process or possibly learn from someone else so thanks for the suggestion!😁

socks4free

socks4free

I used to watch her a lot. She's got a great video on how to make your cannabutter look like regular butter on there. Gets rid of the green tint, and makes it smooth again.
Interesting however I don't have to worry about what color my oil is anymore 😅

socks4free

socks4free

Yeah im definitely not getting over 400°f. But what is the BP of. The rest of the cannabinoids? The terps? 9-delta may be the main thing but it all plays a role in your experience.

Thank you for the info 😊

Top Bottom